Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Funny stories I tell customers

Re: Funny stories I tell customers

I like to tell the ones that like to look over my shoulder that they better pay attention because they're putting it back together. It almost always gets a laugh.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Continuing with "gross stuff found in copiers", this is probably the worst I've personally seen.
    Large console Lanier, back in the analog days in a nursing home. The call was for "needs cleaning". One of our more experienced techs went, because it was in his territory, but I was soon called to help, because I was the "new guy". The room with the copier was directly under the kitchen. The waste pipe from the slop sink had burst. They had sauerkraut for dinner the night before. All the water and food scraps had dissolved the drop ceiling over the copier, and it was now all through the copier. We spent at least 3 hours cleaning before he felt it was safe to turn it on. I think he replaced the drum and DV as a precaution, but it started right up and ran great for years afterwards. It always had a weird smell that wouldn't go away though.

Technician

Only thing I've had to fish out of a machine was a frog that got caught in a Lexmark 950 series machine.
    Got a call about noise from the device, had the customer check the drums and wastetoner bottle drive-gear with him on the phone.
    Customer was a farmer, had loads of fields and a small-ish pond in his yard, hot summer in scandinavia and everyone leaves the terrace doors open.
    Poor little fella managed to work his way into the lower tray area and managed to survive for a few days - he was sent on his merry way and the customer ended up looking as confused as I was.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I like to tell the ones that like to look over my shoulder that they better pay attention because they're putting it back together. It almost always gets a laugh.
    With the machine is pieces parts replacing a main drive motor..

Customer: Damn that's a lot of parts. Are you going to be able to put it back together...?

Me: Gee, for your sake, I sure hope so

Customer: confused look and mumbling as they walk away

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Talking Re: Funny stories I tell customers

I have a great customer, they use mostly M606 and M608 HP printers. The boss has an old P2430 that he likes, so I agreed to PM it for him. I forgot to clamp the feed tire shaft, and knocked the dang clutch off when changing the tire. Brought it back to the shop, tore it all down, popped the clutch back on, put it all back together, and realized that I forgot to put this part back in. DOH!

I'm not taking it back apart, so it's just gonna have to survive without. Which reminds me of another funny story I tell my customers.

A customer will see me with their machine tore into a hundred pieces and ask me, "Do you ever have left over pieces when you're done"?

To which I reply, 'Of course I do, but that's OK, I just take them home, because I'm building a machine in my basement, and I BUILT IT ONE PIECE AT A TIME...'

They usually look at me like I'm crazy. :-)

Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time - YouTube

2430.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Although I couldn't collaborate(mainly due to lots of dead brain cells) this is really entertaining bitter-sweet thread full with great memories from the good times! I really enjoy it. Thanks to author and all fellow techs sharing their experience good or bad 👍
    We can be much better people when we are united not divided
    Your response is my favorite.

Robin in Bremerton

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    I have a great customer, they use mostly M606 and M608 HP printers. The boss has an old P2430 that he likes, so I agreed to PM it for him. I forgot to clamp the feed tire shaft, and knocked the dang clutch off when changing the tire. Brought it back to the shop, tore it all down, popped the clutch back on, put it all back together, and realized that I forgot to put this part back in. DOH!

I'm not taking it back apart, so it's just gonna have to survive without. Which reminds me of another funny story I tell my customers.

A customer will see me with their machine tore into a hundred pieces and ask me, "Do you ever have left over pieces when you're done"?

To which I reply, 'Of course I do, but that's OK, I just take them home, because I'm building a machine in my basement, and I BUILT IT ONE PIECE AT A TIME...'

2430.jpg
    Ohh man you did it again. Johnny Cash... boom bull's eye
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post

2430.jpg
    I tell the customer that I sell the leftover parts for lunch money.

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Back in the Mita days I replaced a power supply in a DC 2285. Tech before had cut off the tie strap off one of the wires so the connector could reach wrong spot on board. There were 2 connectors the same...I turned machine on and heard a loud pop and black smoke puffed out the back of the machine. Upon inspecting it, found the 5v out was plugged into the 24v out. It blew the track right off the board. I soldered wire in place and repaired onsite. Then a week later Mita sent a bulletin out to warn techs about this...LOL
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Technician

Ignition!

Circa 1996 I was repairing a Sharp copier at an industrial location. Adjacent to my machine was a medium size shredder. An employee ran a few items through the shredder, and I could hear it asking, no, SCREAMING for lubrication. Being a hero, I retrieved a spray can of silicone lubricant from my vehicle. I started the shredder, and gave it a good healthy dose, which promptly ignited. No problem! There is a fire extinguisher - I only needed to reach through the wall of flame to grab it. Plan B - a large blast of bad breath at close range, and the flames were quashed.
    But not the stinking, smouldering mess in the exit bin.
    I carried the bin outside, and dumped the contents on the pavement, and started to dance on it.
    Not good - it melted onto my rubber soles. Fifteen feet away was a hose bib, without a hose.
    It took several mouthfuls of water sprayed on the mess to fully extinguish it. Returning from the fresh air, I was keenly aware of the stench inside the building.
    DO NOT touch equipment that is not your responsibility!
    ...Lorenzo