Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Why do sales guys speak so loud?

I've been in the current company since 2017, and since day 1 I've been wondering why the sales guys always shout when they're on the phone.
    Customers have been known to ask if there was a fire because of the shouting in the background, and the sales guys refuse to believe they speak/shout that loud.

Has anyone noticed the same, and if yes, found a way to get them to tone it down? Boss-man doesn't want to get the soundproofing walls up between the tables in our open-plan office.

As it stands, between us techs here the joke goes they could just pop their head out the window, and the customer will hear them just as well

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Why do sales guys speak so loud?

Good post. I kinda find it funny but actually I know what you mean because we're in the same situation. Luckily we're so small it's not a big deal...for now.
    I'm interested also what other guys are thinking in that matter.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

I've never seen that before. Perhaps this is an isolated thing?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

As more than just a tech I have been to OEM sales meetings and service training. VERY different volume level in the rooms. Go to a National Dealer Meeting and attend the after hours gatherings at the resort bar. As a tech you may soon be going back to your room or headed outside for some peace. Been doing this for decades and I just don't fit in well with sales reps. I am a pretty low volume speaker and not much of an idle talker. I also don't have a long history of assorted women and million dollars deals to brag about either so there's that. I have been around a few owner/sales reps at these meetings and found them to be much different. But these are aren't the ones wearing snake skin boots and $3,000 suits.

When the drunken cackling begins my brother who is a sales rep will often times mock them and say "I WANT TO HEAR MY VOICE! I WANT TO HEAR MY VOICE!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That so funny! I knew that, but had never really fully formed the thought.

At one of our offices I can remember repeatedly closing the door to the front sales offices, since you could not talk to customers on the phone in the back part of the building over the continual noise in the front. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You can always say to loud mouth that you hope he/she was not discussing any current sales prospects as anyone within a block and a half could hear everything said and that includes any competitors who might be passing by.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Several years back my office moved into a new location, with the totally open floor plan (at a tiny fraction of the previous rent, of course).

It was nice when sales reps were on the road, but you couldn’t hear yourself think when any number of them were there.

I do a lot of remote work, so as long as I wasn’t on a call, it wasn’t too bad, but a number of times I had to slink away to a quiet corner to hold any type of intelligent conversation.

No manners, no consideration from a lot of them.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

No offense to anyone but I think most of the opinions stated about sales people are a result of confirmation bias. In other words, most of you don't care for sales people (common in copier business/sales vs. service).

I don't think sales people are born talking loud nor have they developed it after they got into sales. I also don't think a sales person will be successful if they're screaming at the top of their lungs to a potential customer.

The truth is, some people are loud and brash. That's true for sales, service and ownership.

Please excuse me while I hijack the thread for a minute. I have a question:

Why has the most difficult job?

a.) sales

or

b.) service

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Billy: good question. Most service will answer service, most sales will answer sales. Reality though, they are both tough. What bugs me though is sales can't do what service does and vice versa. Yet a seasoned sales person will make 3-4 times what a service person does. There are some dealers out there that recognize the symbient relation between sales and service. So as the sales person does better, some of the wealth is passed onto service rep also.

Back to the thread though. Every place I have worked at sales and service tend to separate at company functions. Sales side is generally found in loud conversations, bragging about this and that and name dropping. Service side is quieter, generally talking about home repairs, auto repairs, saving up for a camping trip, etc. It is rare that you will find service bragging about their work accomplishments like many sales do.

I find it interesting that a new sale person will always start out by picking a techs brain for info on customers, machines, and general advice. Then once they get rolling, they turn over to the dark side and are better than the techs. At least that is my observation.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex