Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon class action lawsuit? LOL.. good luck

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Canon class action lawsuit? LOL.. good luck

Better Call Saul^^

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Doubt it's going to go anywhere. But I'm not going to lie, it would please me very much to see Canon get their just comeuppance. I am tired of calls to the office about those sh*tty pixmas. Constantly explaining "Yes Ma'am, I understand you are frustrated that the repair will cost more than the printer". "Yes Ma'am, you are correct, it is in fact cheaper to buy a new one." "No Ma'am, I will not buy your unused old ink". "Because we don't sell those inks Ma'am". "Maybe eBay Ma'- *Click*. "

Not to mention the various sponges on their floor standing copiers that get sticky and causes so many jams. How hard is it to invest a fraction of a penny on a velvet material instead of that sponge?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Years back, Canon sold their lower end fax machines as “Faxphone” devices, along with some other even lower end models that were Faxphone only.

The common ones were identical, other than color.

Unfortunately, I had to work on these little gems.

One time there was one with a bad main controller board…dealer cost on the part was more than what the customer paid for it at Best Buy (or Office Max…I don’t remember.)

Add on the smallest amount of profit to the board, plus labor time, and she could have bought close to if not 2 new ones.

Not a fun conversation.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Years back, Canon sold their lower end fax machines as “Faxphone” devices, along with some other even lower end models that were Faxphone only.

One time there was one with a bad main controller board…dealer cost on the part was more than what the customer paid for it at Best Buy (or Office Max…I don’t remember.)

Add on the smallest amount of profit to the board, plus labor time, and she could have bought close to if not 2 new ones.

Not a fun conversation.

... fast forward to 2021. Bought a Lexmark fuser lately for one of their A4 devices? A full 1/3 of the purchase price.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... fast forward to 2021. Bought a Lexmark fuser lately for one of their A4 devices? A full 1/3 of the purchase price.
    I feel your pain. Some parts are obscenely overpriced, that simply SHOULD NOT BE. Like Ricoh fusers, some of them go for almost 3 GRAND for popular models.

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    I feel your pain. Some parts are obscenely overpriced, that simply SHOULD NOT BE. Like Ricoh fusers, some of them go for almost 3 GRAND for popular models.
    Ricoh fusers came to my mind as well...lord Jesus those things can be expensive.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Ricoh fusers came to my mind as well...lord Jesus those things can be expensive.
    Speaking of Ricoh, many that use an allocated portion of memory or HDD to save faxes and scans will stop scanning and give a memory full error if the that allocated area is full. not being able to print incoming faxes will cause it to fill up. Also some will stop scanning faxes if the unit is set to print result page for every send and printing is down.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

Not a fun conversation.

Just as bad or worse were those cheap portable typewriters. Heck the blasted things cost less than a service call to check them out. And yes I had quite a fun time when the customer paid for an onsite warranty. It was a whole lot of fun explaining to the customer they had to call the 800 number in their contract and then that company would send out a repairman or replace the typewriter. Oh boy was it fun explaining the cost of travel time and labor to someone that paid 88.00 to 109.00 dollars for a cheap machine that was meant to be used by a student once a week or so instead of every day as a word processor. Oh yeah we got lots of calls because there must be something wrong because this typewriter goes through ribbons too fast so there has to be something wrong with the typewriter. Yeap there were a lot of those ding-a-lings that thought a less than ten pound typewriter was the same workhorse as their old forty pound IBM selectric.

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Doubt it's going to go anywhere. But I'm not going to lie, it would please me very much to see Canon get their just comeuppance. I am tired of calls to the office about those sh*tty pixmas. Constantly explaining "Yes Ma'am, I understand you are frustrated that the repair will cost more than the printer". "Yes Ma'am, you are correct, it is in fact cheaper to buy a new one." "No Ma'am, I will not buy your unused old ink". "Because we don't sell those inks Ma'am". "Maybe eBay Ma'- *Click*. "

Not to mention the various sponges on their floor standing copiers that get sticky and causes so many jams. How hard is it to invest a fraction of a penny on a velvet material instead of that sponge?
    We will not work on Pixma's anything Epson or HP Officejet. Basically if the initial machine is under $500.00 we don't work on them, this includes most home based business' as well.