Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Remember when.... comments welcome.... your first servicing days with copiers

I invite you to post comments of how the industry has changed over time.

I remember one of my first field audits by the service manager over 30 years ago. I had a few negatives. One was drum was at 95% used and I didn't replace it. Another was I turned the pm counter off (of course I did, the drum was at 95% and I didn't want a call-back/parts waiting because I had no drum with at the time of service call)

At that time we were instructed to replace parts per manufacturer's recommendations and received negatives if we took out too soon or too late. We had to look at remaining life, if it was less than 10% we were expected to replace as reliability was the key. Callbacks were considered to be much worse than parts expense. Maintenance meters were supposed to be left on so customer knew we were taking care of their machine. Callbacks were 2 weeks or 10k. If the machine was close to maintenance, we would look at will it go 2 weeks. If it would go a month, we would tell the customer that machine is getting close to maintenance and would indicate that in about a month, then call us to schedule at their convenience, no worries, just like a routine oil change for a car.

Can you imagine that scenario now?
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Remember when.... comments welcome.... your first servicing days with copiers

Remember the paper service log packets?

....and finding a pay-phone to call dispatch?
    "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn" - Benjamin Franklin

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Remember when.... comments welcome.... your first servicing days with copiers

The metrics my company uses actually considers "incomplete/return for parts" worse than callbacks! I mean, should we drive an 18 wheeler with every part in it? Should we duct tape it and leave? LOL

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

The first copiers I worked on properly, were the Sharp SF range, where you had to replace the master sheet about every 8k, you had to be careful not to get toner between it and the actual drum, to set up the toner/developer, you had a measuring bottle and a magnet, the magnet was if you put too much in, you had to remove it. The fuser rebuild was a nightmare, you had a felt pad, and had to fill it with "fuser oil/fluid"
    Prior to that, I used to work on the old 3M Scotch copier orange and black they were, if I remember, primarily replacing light bulbs
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    The first copiers I worked on properly, were the Sharp SF range, where you had to replace the master sheet about every 8k, you had to be careful not to get toner between it and the actual drum, to set up the toner/developer, you had a measuring bottle and a magnet, the magnet was if you put too much in, you had to remove it. The fuser rebuild was a nightmare, you had a felt pad, and had to fill it with "fuser oil/fluid"
    Prior to that, I used to work on the old 3M Scotch copier orange and black they were, if I remember, primarily replacing light bulbs
    SF-750. I can't remember if the SF-760 used the add/remove DV method or the potentiometer adjustment with the flickering toner light.

Then the SF-755, SF-756 and SF-7100. The Katun master would easily go 16K while the OEM master struggled to get to 8K. I think our record was 32K on a Katun master.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

There used to be LOTS of developing unit rebuilding. We always had an entire shelving unit dedicated to those (cleaned out and rebuilt) ready to go whenever a PM call came in so we wouldn't have to do the rebuild in office. Same goes for fusers although we didn't always have spares on hand for those.

Finding a pay phone to call in to dispatch was sometimes a challenge in the middle of nowhere here in Kansas. Sometimes, I'd ask the customer to use their phone to call our 800 number because there were no pay phones in some of the towns I serviced.

We had more techs back then to keep about the same amount of machines running so the machines have become more reliable over the years.

Also, I DON'T miss the fact customers had bottles of toner to pour into their toner hopper. Messes were aplenty.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post

....and finding a pay-phone to call dispatch?
    I used to have a pocket auto dialer that you could hold up to the payphone to enter you long distance carrier number & destination.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrintWhisperer View Post
    That gave the complete service history to any competitor sales person who just happened to walk up to the machine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Not parts/supplies related, but remember the dress shirts/Ties..My 1st day training, I'm walking into an office white shirt, black tie, my mentor dressed the same..I say " man I feel like one of those, what's the name?? You know religious sect??? He says Jehova Witness?? I say YES!! that's it..Turns out 10 of the 11 guys in the office including the manager are all Jehovas...30 years later, the ones that are still alive I am still friends with. E

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Not parts/supplies related, but remember the dress shirts/Ties..My 1st day training, I'm walking into an office white shirt, black tie, my mentor dressed the same..I say " man I feel like one of those, what's the name?? You know religious sect??? He says Jehova Witness?? I say YES!! that's it..Turns out 10 of the 11 guys in the office including the manager are all Jehovas...30 years later, the ones that are still alive I am still friends with. E
    The Mormon twins around here dress like that for their door to door.

Our service dept. was 4 techs plus me. Two of them brothers and three of them were JW's. There were random techs that came and went but there was the 5 of us that have been here for 30+ years.