Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Let's talk TURKEY

Re: Let's talk TURKEY

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    I prefer my turkey still alive and in the wild, I don't put death on my plate
    In the wild, animals kill and eat each other. Just saying....
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    In the wild, animals kill and eat each other. Just saying....
    Those who need meat in their diets do, you're right, what they don't do is go to the supermarket and buy it, pre-killed, wrapped in plastic, and frozen. Just saying....
    If humans were hunting and killing their own food, using bare hands (not rifles), then the meat we would eat would be predominantly insects, with the occasional fish.

By the way, millions of people throughout the world have proved that we do not require animal products in our diet, in fact, a balanced, vegan diet has been shown to be very healthy, and those who follow a healthy vegan diet suffer far less from heart disease, cancer, dementia, etc.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Let's talk TURKEY

I prefer chicken.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Let's talk TURKEY

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    We had a friend who liked to inject Liquid Smoke.
    I've got a smoker/grill combo.. it does a nice job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    This year my son is doing a smoked Jamaican Jerked Turkey. (his jerked chicken is KILLER)
    Last Christmas I took some of my Cranberry Chutney pureed it ... and glazed the bird after injected it with the juice from puree. Then just roasted as usual.

Sounds awesome!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar

I prefer my turkey still alive and in the wild, I don't put death on my plate
    I prefer Wild Turkey as well.
    brbon_wil25.jpg

Note: No Turkeys were harmed in the posting of this message.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Let's talk TURKEY

Those who need meat in their diets do, you're right, what they don't do is go to the supermarket and buy it, pre-killed, wrapped in plastic, and frozen. Just saying....
    If humans were hunting and killing their own food, using bare hands (not rifles), then the meat we would eat would be predominantly insects, with the occasional fish.

By the way, millions of people throughout the world have proved that we do not require animal products in our diet, in fact, a balanced, vegan diet has been shown to be very healthy, and those who follow a healthy vegan diet suffer far less from heart disease, cancer, dementia, etc.
    Now I feel guilty for eating that big bird that's in the oven, maybe I won't have any turkey after all.

Just kidding, I can't wait to eat that bird.😊😁😂

Let's talk TURKEY

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Sounds awesome!
    It has been smoking now for a lil over an hour, makes my mouth water just opening the back door, you can definitely smell the spices n hot peppers n lime juice.

Let's talk TURKEY

I buy my meat pre-killed at the grocery store for the same reason that the majority of vegans buy their veggies pre-killed and sitting on the shelf. In the modern world, people have jobs and we can't roam the woods like the American Indian and kill what we eat and grow our own crops. It's simply not realistic.

As far as your vegan lifestyle, I congratulate you on that. I eat a very strict diet that consists mostly of fruits and veggies but I do eat turkey, chicken and fish a lot. And I occasionally eat beef. It's a personal choice, Debs. It's been that way since the beginning of time.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Best turkey to date was a fresh 15lb bird bought from a local poultry retailer, prepared as follows:

Was washed and then brined in Meat Church's 'Bird Bath Brine' for about 16 hours (~1hr / lb).

Then rinsed and patted dry, then allowed to dry cure in the refrigerator for about 8 hr to get the skin a little tacky.

Injected with a seasoning / moisturizing / tenderizing mix also from Meat Church.

Mixed desired seasoning rub with some mayonnaise, ~tbsp seasoning in 1/2 cup, and rubbed all over the bird.

Hung in a vertical pellet smoker at 275F until both breast and thigh hit 165F, took about 4-1/2 hr. Put a foil catch pan under the bird to use the drippings in the gravy.

Increased temperature to 350F for about 1/2 hr to crisp the skin.

Remove, rest and carve. This was the most tender and moist turkey that has ever passed my lips. Now I'm apparently in charge of Thanksgiving turkey, actually all turkey, from now on...

And no, I'm not advertising for Meat Church. I just happened to choose those products to try and they were delicious and worked well.