Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    The Health & Fitness Thread

I'm a lifelong runner. When I moved to the Ms. Gulf Coast (about 20 years ago), I took a can of spray paint and marked each mile of my path. (disclaimer: I only painted a tiny line to mark the miles). For 20 years, I have jogged that same path.

This morning I changed it up a bit and did wind sprints. It's important to break up my routine as your body adapts rather quickly. You need to challenge your body to go further and faster.

Anyway. I'm 53 years old and I'm out there running as fast as I can. I rest long enough to catch my breath and do it again. Over and over again.

Any time I push my body really hard, there's a little voice that begs me to quit. This little voice is my enemy. I've learned to ignore that voice.

Anyone have any advice, tips or just want to share?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: The Health & Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm a lifelong runner. When I moved to the Ms. Gulf Coast (about 20 years ago), I took a can of spray paint and marked each mile of my path. (disclaimer: I only painted a tiny line to mark the miles). For 20 years, I have jogged that same path.

This morning I changed it up a bit and did wind sprints. It's important to break up my routine as your body adapts rather quickly. You need to challenge your body to go further and faster.

Anyway. I'm 53 years old and I'm out there running as fast as I can. I rest long enough to catch my breath and do it again. Over and over again.

Any time I push my body really hard, there's a little voice that begs me to quit. This little voice is my enemy. I've learned to ignore that voice.

Anyone have any advice, tips or just want to share?
    We used to do wind sprints in the Army Reserves in the following way:
    1. Out 10 yards, touch the ground and back
    2. Out 20 yards, touch the ground and back
    3. Out 30 yards, touch the ground and back
    4. Wait until everyone was back
    5. Repeat

You quickly learned that if you wanted a rest you had to push yourself not to be the last one back.

Back from the gym. Did a few miles on the treadmill. Got my heart rate up to about 150. Burned a few hundred calories.

gym.jpg

Wink Re: The Health & Fitness Thread

I take membership for gym but my weight is not changed. I will go there to make complain

Quote Originally Posted by Drivee View Post
    I take membership for gym but my weight is not changed. I will go there to make complain

What I didn't realize when I was younger is that our body will adjust to what we want it to do. For instance, I used to eat 3 meals a day and I snacked between meals. As a result, I started to gain weight when I was in my 30's.

When I started doing intermittent fasting, I was eating only one meal per day and that was it. For the first few months I felt like I was starving all the time. All I could think about was food. After a while, my body adapted and I can't imaging eating that much food.

Intermittent fasting also cleared up some other problems I was having. Highly recommend.

I eat once per day in 95% of year. After my job, I eat but not too much. Like 3 or 4 eggs and peace of bread. Not so much.
    btw.

my previous post was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Drivee View Post
    I eat once per day in 95% of year. After my job, I eat but not too much. Like 3 or 4 eggs and peace of bread. Not so much.
    btw.

my previous post was a joke

I knew it was a joke.

But I hear people say something similar and they're being serious. The thing about weight loss is that there's so much misinformation out there because people are trying to make money off of it. America is fat and that means there's money to be made on weight loss. We're bombarded with commercials on TV and radio. The internet is full of weight loss ads.

Most of them promise some kind of miracle weight loss plan.

Here's the truth: There is no easy way to lose weight. Exercise plays a very small part in it. It's all about the food you put in your body and how much.

I knew it was a joke.

But I hear people say something similar and they're being serious. The thing about weight loss is that there's so much misinformation out there because people are trying to make money off of it. America is fat and that means there's money to be made on weight loss. We're bombarded with commercials on TV and radio. The internet is full of weight loss ads.

Most of them promise some kind of miracle weight loss plan.

Here's the truth: There is no easy way to lose weight. Exercise plays a very small part in it. It's all about the food you put in your body and how much.
    Agreed , but exercise helps balance the struggles with diet, especially in the beginning. You can have that little cheat , or self indulgence because you did 60 db thrusts, walk a mile and a half... or whatever gets your heart rate up. Like you said the key is mixing it up especially if you are just doing it for cardio (light weights lots of reps). Heavy weight training can sustain a workout plan a little longer between significant change ups, but again like you said food is still 80% of your visual results. You can still exercise , eat what you want to a responsible degree , and feel great and just look pretty good, or you can exercise and watch what you eat and look and feel great. Just my opinion.
    “First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

Quote Originally Posted by J_Arnold View Post
    Agreed , but exercise helps balance the struggles with diet, especially in the beginning. You can have that little cheat , or self indulgence because you did 60 db thrusts, walk a mile and a half... or whatever gets your heart rate up. Like you said the key is mixing it up especially if you are just doing it for cardio (light weights lots of reps). Heavy weight training can sustain a workout plan a little longer between significant change ups, but again like you said food is still 80% of your visual results. You can still exercise , eat what you want to a responsible degree , and feel great and just look pretty good, or you can exercise and watch what you eat and look and feel great. Just my opinion.

I agree with that.

I like to break it down like this.

I'm always doing 1 of 3 things:

1. Cutting

That means I'm in a caloric deficit to lose weight. I normally will try to get this over with as fast as possible.

2. Bulking

This means I'm in a caloric surplus in order to put on muscle. This usually involves eating a lot of protein. You MUST take in more calories than you burn if you are to add muscle.

3. Maintaining

Pretty self-explanatory.

As I'm getting older, I'm losing flexibility. That's why I'm about to start taking yoga.

I agree with that.

I like to break it down like this.

I'm always doing 1 of 3 things:

1. Cutting

That means I'm in a caloric deficit to lose weight. I normally will try to get this over with as fast as possible.

2. Bulking

This means I'm in a caloric surplus in order to put on muscle. This usually involves eating a lot of protein. You MUST take in more calories than you burn if you are to add muscle.

3. Maintaining

Pretty self-explanatory.

As I'm getting older, I'm losing flexibility. That's why I'm about to start taking yoga.
    I like it!!! You seem to know your stuff. I am 5am to 7am every morning , 6 days a week. I like to switch up my accessory muscle workouts tricep extensions, DB Rows, skull crushers, chest flies, preacher curls or suicides etc.. but my core stays fairly consistent deadlifts F,I,D bench press, Squats, Clean and press and so on.
    Last edited by J_Arnold; 01-20-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    “First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."