Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 474
  1. #391
    Aging Tech 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    copier addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Diamond
    Posts
    8,339
    Rep Power
    228

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Jealousy is a disease. Get well soon, ol' boy.
    Unwarranted arrogance is much worse. Unfortunately there is no cure.

  2. #392
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    327

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Unwarranted arrogance is much worse. Unfortunately there is no cure.


    Why Canadians dislike/hate America and Americans


    Canada and the United States of America are possibly the world’s two most similar countries. Their residents speak the same language, eat the same foods, have the same taste in entertainment, work in the same sorts of jobs, celebrate most of the same holidays, and share the same customs of daily life.


    A 2016 poll from the Angus Reid Institute found Canadians offering mostly grim opinions on America. Only 15% of Canadians said they believed the United States was a "caring society" while only 17% said the United States was "a country I'd be proud to live in."


    Yet sharing so much in common with a country as powerful and controversial as the United States can also breed contempt and insecurity, and Canadians spend a lot of time trying to come up with reasons why they are not like Americans. Or, just as often, why Americans are worse.


    Judging, teasing and even hating America is a central part of the Canadian identity, and forms a persistant bias that runs through most aspects of Canadian society and culture. For various reasons, the default position of a great many Canadians is that America, Americans, and American things are generally bad, and need to be opposed. These feelings are not always logical and consistent, and are often hypocritical in practice. Yet they do exist, and understanding their powerful role in shaping Canadian society is a vital part of understanding what makes Canadians Canadian.



    More....


    Anti-Americanism in Canadian Pop Culture
    A running trope in Canadian pop culture is comparing Americans to Canadians — a comparison that rarely has the Americans coming out well. If a Canadian character is witty, worldly, sophisticated and modern, you can count on the American character to be hickish, dumb, boorish and sheltered. Another favourite is the stereotypically ignorant American painfully uninformed about Canada; a yahoo who expects to see dogsleds on every street corner and a beaver-skin hat on every head.


    In the early 2000s, the Molson Canadian beer company ran a number of hugely popular ads that played on this theme, showing cool Canadian guys striking back after being confronted by obnoxious American douchebags. One particularly famous one, dubbed “The Rant” (see below), consisted of a cool Canadian aggressively comparing Canada to the U.S. (“I believe in diversity, not assimilation! Peacekeeping, not policing!”), before dramatically finishing with, “My name is Joe… and I AM CANADIAN!” The actor became a huge national star, and was even recruited by the Canadian government to recite “the rant” at Canada Day festivities across the country.
    Embrace the process, not the outcome.

  3. #393
    Aging Tech 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    copier addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Diamond
    Posts
    8,339
    Rep Power
    228

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    More....Why Canadians dislike/hate America and Americans


    Canada and the United States of America are possibly the world’s two most similar countries. Their residents speak the same language, eat the same foods, have the same taste in entertainment, work in the same sorts of jobs, celebrate most of the same holidays, and share the same customs of daily life.


    A 2016 poll from the Angus Reid Institute found Canadians offering mostly grim opinions on America. Only 15% of Canadians said they believed the United States was a "caring society" while only 17% said the United States was "a country I'd be proud to live in."


    Yet sharing so much in common with a country as powerful and controversial as the United States can also breed contempt and insecurity, and Canadians spend a lot of time trying to come up with reasons why they are not like Americans. Or, just as often, why Americans are worse.


    Judging, teasing and even hating America is a central part of the Canadian identity, and forms a persistant bias that runs through most aspects of Canadian society and culture. For various reasons, the default position of a great many Canadians is that America, Americans, and American things are generally bad, and need to be opposed. These feelings are not always logical and consistent, and are often hypocritical in practice. Yet they do exist, and understanding their powerful role in shaping Canadian society is a vital part of understanding what makes Canadians Canadian.



    More....


    Anti-Americanism in Canadian Pop Culture
    A running trope in Canadian pop culture is comparing Americans to Canadians — a comparison that rarely has the Americans coming out well. If a Canadian character is witty, worldly, sophisticated and modern, you can count on the American character to be hickish, dumb, boorish and sheltered. Another favourite is the stereotypically ignorant American painfully uninformed about Canada; a yahoo who expects to see dogsleds on every street corner and a beaver-skin hat on every head.


    In the early 2000s, the Molson Canadian beer company ran a number of hugely popular ads that played on this theme, showing cool Canadian guys striking back after being confronted by obnoxious American douchebags. One particularly famous one, dubbed “The Rant” (see below), consisted of a cool Canadian aggressively comparing Canada to the U.S. (“I believe in diversity, not assimilation! Peacekeeping, not policing!”), before dramatically finishing with, “My name is Joe… and I AM CANADIAN!” The actor became a huge national star, and was even recruited by the Canadian government to recite “the rant” at Canada Day festivities across the country

    It's pretty obvious to everyone here who the hater is, son
    You've gone out of your way to prove it over and over.
    You seem to somehow believe it bothers me, or any other Canadians. Lol
    Keep trying, son, I enjoy your efforts.

  4. #394
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    327

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    It's pretty obvious to everyone here who the hater is, son
    You've gone out of your way to prove it over and over.
    You seem to somehow believe it bothers me, or any other Canadians. Lol
    Keep trying, son, I enjoy your efforts.

    You can ignore the poll all you want but the it's the truth.

    You and SSG come to this forum to spread you hate/dislike for America and to criticize our way of life. You've never said one kind thing about the USA. Until I ran across you 2 assholes, I never even gave Canada a second thought. GTFOH.


    Read:


    Why Are Canadians Anti-American?



    Attempting to find a single root cause of the sometimes subtle, sometimes intense anti-Americanism in Canada is a complicated task, and many Canadians have written about it at length. Generally, the most commonly held conclusion is that by vilifying America, Canadians are able to create a collective identity for themselves. Especially in an era where Canadians and Americans are becoming more similar in their lifestyles, behaviour and culture, there is strong pressure for Canadians to focus on the ways their country still remains different, and indeed, superior.


    Others may interpret Canada’s history as being one long struggle against “U.S. domination,” making anti-Americanism a sort of Canadian founding mission. Canadians partial to this perspective will view the United States as the single greatest threat to Canadian sovereignty, and a country that is always on the brink of conquering Canada — not just militarily, but culturally, politically and economically as well. Canadian history books usually make much of episodes like the War of 1812, Irish-American attacks on Canada during the mid-1800s (the “Fenian Raids“) and other instances where Americans seemed to be plotting the “annexation of Canada.” The implication is Americans have a long habit of looking at Canada with hungry eyes, and Canadians must remain ever vigilant. As mentioned, this also frequently manifests in the form of left-wing politicians and activists who fear what further American encroachment would mean for the future of Canadian progressive values and social programs.


    One final explanation may be immigration. Though a lot of immigrants come to Canada for non-ideological reasons such as economic opportunity, family unification, safety or convenience, there have always been more than a few immigrants who settle in Canada precisely because they want to come to North America but don’t want to live in the more popular United States because they dislike some aspect of American culture, politics or society. It should also be noted, however, that during the Vietnam War (1964-1973) and to a lesser extent the George W. Bush presidency (2001-2009), a large number of Americans emigrated to Canada because they themselves disliked some element of their home country.
    Embrace the process, not the outcome.

  5. #395
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    SalesServiceGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    6,832
    Rep Power
    191

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    I,d never heard the term Oligark before the Ukraine war, it explains the rise of bitcoin tho

    ... spelled Oilgarch .

    ol·i·garch

    [ˈäləˌɡärk]

    NOUN

    oligarchs (plural noun)

    • a ruler in an oligarchy.
    • (especially in Russia) a very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence.

      ... Bitcoin and most other cryptocurrencies were already well established well before the Ukraine war began. The war has caused a lot of untraceable bitcoin to flow rapidly on many issues when making it is harder to track the money flows is valuable.



  6. #396
    Aging Tech 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    copier addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Diamond
    Posts
    8,339
    Rep Power
    228

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You can ignore the poll all you want but the it's the truth.

    You and SSG come to this forum to spread you hate/dislike for America and to criticize our way of life. You've never said one kind thing about the USA. Until I ran across you 2 assholes, I never even gave Canada a second thought. GTFOH.


    Read:
    No need to be upset. So, you hate Canada. You're allowed to. Nobody cares.

  7. #397
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    SalesServiceGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    6,832
    Rep Power
    191

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    No need to be upset. So, you hate Canada. You're allowed to. Nobody cares.

    ... somebody lost the plot.

    The first post made in the thread "The Shining City upon the Hill" was to praise American exceptionalism.

    Other posters immediately attempted to take this thread down a dark political path.

    This thread is about the war in Ukraine, not about dysfunctional US politics.

  8. #398
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    327

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... somebody lost the plot.

    The first post made in the thread "The Shining City upon the Hill" was to praise American exceptionalism.

    Other posters immediately attempted to take this thread down a dark political path.

    This thread is about the war in Ukraine, not about dysfunctional US politics.

    I'll make this thread about whatever I want to talk about. I will not be pawed at. Thank you very much.


    Both SSG and copier addict will not speak truthfully about the poll that was conducted in Canada. The vast majority of Canadians hate/dislike the USA.

    No one in their right mind believes that 2 Canadians that come to a copier message board to talk American politics is here on a friendly endeavor.
    Embrace the process, not the outcome.

  9. #399
    Aging Tech 5,000+ Posts
    The War in Ukraine

    copier addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Diamond
    Posts
    8,339
    Rep Power
    228

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    I have never wished for anyone's death in my life, but I truly wish someone would wander into Russia and pop putin.
    I know there is another sociopath waiting in line, but it would be a start.

  10. #400
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts Drivee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: The War in Ukraine

    You think that Putin is problem? I guess that you dont know that war in UA last for 10 year. He fixing things on his borders and some nations 5000 milles away from borders. Guess who.
    BBC and other fake news showing how great UA winning but they do not say that Russia use weapons from WW2. What will be when they start to use new one..I just hope that we will not face with nuclear war.. China and N. Korea waithing as well.
    UA war I see as a act against small people. Putin only ask that war in 2 region stop and that all persons which make war crime go to prison. I am not for this war but we dont need to forget that war in UA starts 2013-2014 and still is there.. UA is very rich country but people living there very very very hard! Just look pictures. They have grain and iron for half world. So, why is like that? Zenesky is good gay? hmm nope

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here