Page 68 of 167 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast

Re: $5.00 per gallon gas

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    So say an EV owner is headed on vacation map in hand of where all the charging stations are located. They reach a charging station in the middle of nowhere to discover that there is a power outage and restoration is not expected for at least 4 hours and the backup diesel generator is out of fuel. The current temperature is in the upper 90F with 60% humidity.
    Maybe a Hurricane headed to Alabama accorded to the sharpie marker and he stops at a 7 11 and they're out of Mountain Dew. What does he do?

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    .00 per gallon gas

So say an EV owner is headed on vacation map in hand of where all the charging stations are located. They reach a charging station in the middle of nowhere to discover that there is a power outage and restoration is not expected for at least 4 hours and the backup diesel generator is out of fuel. The current temperature is in the upper 90F with 60% humidity.
    I suppose they would be in the same situation as the family waiting at the gas station in the same power outage. Don't ya think?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I suppose they would be in the same situation as the family waiting at the gas station in the same power outage. Don't ya think?
    Back in 2014, I had to travel to an account in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I am in Cleveland, about 200 miles away.

I went down the night before, and stayed in a hotel.

There was a very widespread power outage that covered most all of the Cincinnati area and a large part of Northern Kentucky that lasted for about 12 or so hours.

Every gas station in sight had cars parked at the pumps, most of them unoccupied.

You need power to pump gas.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    .00 per gallon gas

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Except that the next gas station with power would most likely be well within the range of their remaining fuel. If not, the auto club will send out 5 gallons. Been there, done that.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    .00 per gallon gas

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Back in 2014, I had to travel to an account in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I am in Cleveland, about 200 miles away.

I went down the night before, and stayed in a hotel.

There was a very widespread power outage that covered most all of the Cincinnati area and a large part of Northern Kentucky that lasted for about 12 or so hours.

Every gas station in sight had cars parked at the pumps, most of them unoccupied.

You need power to pump gas.
    I was at a NOMDA convention when the New York City blackout of 1977 occurred. I was staying at the Americana Hotel and had just gotten off the elevator when the lights started to flicker. Got to my room and watched out the window as the blackness spread across Manhattan. Had the power gone out while I was still in the elevator it may have become an interesting night. The only other occupants of the elevator at the time were 5 American Airlines Stewardesses.

Except that the next gas station with power would most likely be well within the range of their remaining fuel. If not, the auto club will send out 5 gallons. Been there, done that.
    Fantasy Buddy the aftermath of Hurricane Irma entire towns were without power for DAYS or weeks
    I filled up my tank the week before so I had no issues

Will the tow trucks of tomorrow be equipped with a generator for those unfortunate enough to run out of juice, or will they have to pay big bucks to get towed?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    .00 per gallon gas

Will the tow trucks of tomorrow be equipped with a generator for those unfortunate enough to run out of juice, or will they have to pay big bucks to get towed?
    They may carry a small Honda generator that might be able to power up your charging station is you brought yours along from home. Of course you will be paying him big bucks by the hours for however long it takes to fully charge your EV. Of course those intelligent enough to bring along their own charging station will most like have brought their own generator as well.

Most likely Yes as EV gain so the rest will follow

Since every Car maker in the World is crossing over to EV cars and trucks

The future is electric
    Last edited by bsm2; 08-06-2022 at 01:29 AM.

They may carry a small Honda generator that might be able to power up your charging station is you brought yours along from home. Of course you will be paying him big bucks by the hours for however long it takes to fully charge your EV. Of course those intelligent enough to bring along their own charging station will most like have brought their own generator as well.
    I would imagine they’d charge you up enough to comfortably make it to the next charging station.

A full charge would be impractical.

Of course, that will vary greatly depending if you’re driving a peanut or an F150 (or larger) towing a camper that sleeps a small village.