Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Jobs

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Re: Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    I guess the main difference is that one is a COUNTRY, the other is a REGION of the world comprised of several countries.
    You are so dumb that when you went to 23 & Me to get a DNA test, they referred you to 24 & More.

In as much as the discussion has been about religion, you failed completely to answer the question properly.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In as much as the discussion has been about religion, you failed completely to answer the question properly.

He's like all the other liberals. When the debate gets to the point to where they have nowhere to go, they all try to get out of the debate by acting like an asshole and that's exactly how I treat them.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    He's like all the other liberals. When the debate gets to the point to where they have nowhere to go, they all try to get out of the debate by acting like an asshole and that's exactly how I treat them.
    Well, since you perfected this method it seems only right that you would recognise it.

Green Jobs

Germany’s ‘Green’ Energy Failure: Germany turns back to ‘dirty’ coal and natural gas as millions of its solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice

Energiewende is a German word for ‘”energy transition.” Energiewende is a policy launched by the German government in 2000 to decarbonize its primary energy supply. Depending on whom you ask, the program has been praised by many environmentalists and others called it a failure.

In 2000 when the program was first launched, 6.6 percent of Germany’s electricity came from renewable sources such as solar and wind. In 2019, almost two decades later, the share reached 41.1 percent. That’s where the good news end. In 2000, Germany had an installed capacity of 121 gigawatts with 577 terawatt-hours generated, which is 54 percent as much as it theoretically could have done (that is, 54 percent was its capacity factor). But in 2019, the country only produced a meager 5 percent more (607 TWh).

During the twenty-year period, the Germans also paid a hefty price for the program. For example, the average cost of electricity for German households has doubled since 2000. By 2019, households had to pay 34 U.S. cents per kilowatt-hour, compared to 22 cents per kilowatt-hour in France and 13 cents in the United States, according to data from IEEE Spectrum.

That’s not all. This year, the coldest weather in a decade arrives in western Europe. Bitter cold and snow sweep across western Europe including Germany, Great Britain, and France. Germany faces a sober reality as millions of its solar panels are blanketed in snow and ice and breathless. The freezing weather has rendered its 30,000 wind turbines to idleness. It is not just the wind turbines. Solar panels covered with snow are also rendered useless. You may call it “coal comfort” as a total collapse in the wind and solar output leaves freezing Germans desperate for coal-fired power.

For many years, Germany has been held up as the world’s wind and solar capital. But now, the deadly winter is putting a strain on Germany’s Energiewende program and the country has to be rescued by, you guessed it, “dirty” fossil fuels.

So looking back two decades, how well did Germany do? To measure how successful the Energiewende program has been toward the ultimate goal of decarbonization. In the December 2020 article titled, “Energiewende, 20 Years Later,” IEEE concludes with the following:

However, the 6 percent gain does not tell the whole story. In January of this year, German RBB (Berlin-Brandenburg) public broadcasting recently aired a report (video below) on the region’s current electricity supply in winter. As part of the report, Harald Schwarz, professor of power distribution at the University of Cottbus, went straight to the point saying: “die gesicherte Leistung von Wind + Sonne = 0,” which means:

Here’s how Prof. Schwarz sums it up in an interview with German RBB

“The guaranteed output of wind energy and photovoltaics is between zero, two or three percent. So de-facto is zero.”

Below is a YouTube video of the interview in German. You can turn on the English subtitle.

During the report, German RBB interviewed Daniel Bartig, a mechanic at the LEAG Lausitz plant. Bartig tells RBB he is skeptical that green energy can do the job, and says “the greatest share of power is currently coming from coal.”

Further down in the report, RBB also interviewed Harald Schwarz, professor of power distribution at the University of Cottbus. Schwarz tells RBB he’s very skeptical of wind and solar energy doing the job. As Germany moves to shut down its reliable nuclear and coal power plants, the gap between supply and demand will grow dangerously wide.

Here is how Prof. Schwarz explained it:

“With this supply of wind and photovoltaic energy, it’s between 0 and 2 or 3 percent – that is de facto zero. You can see it in many diagrams that we have days, weeks, in the year where we have neither wind nor PV. Especially this time for example – there is no wind and PV, and there are often times when the wind is very miniscule. These are things, I must say, that have been physically established and known for centuries, and we’ve simply totally neglected this during the green energies discussion.”

RBB then warns of the increased odds of blackouts for the region, like the blackout in Berlin in 2019.

So what’s the plan for the future? The reporter went on to say that Germany will have to rely more on natural gas from Russia, coal power from Poland, and nuclear power from France.

Below is a partial transcript of the video.
    “All good things come from above, not all from the perspective of the energy transition.

The hidden sun prevents photovoltaics from allowing any air movement. Wind turbines are in place regenerative winter rest for all our electricity comes first from the Lausitz power plants which also run 100% from coal. Percent of the security of supply that all need together as.
    Electricity consumers are now being secured and safeguarded by the power plants. That means we have a completely normal winter that we face and what.

Sun and wind can’t afford it. Now, we’re replacing it completely with black ones (dirty fossil fuels – emphasis ours).

That means Daniel Barth and his colleagues have my hands full. The young man keeps Brandenburg currently through the energy transition accompanied sees the process skeptically. Yes, you talk about it every day so want.
    Daniel Barth: They often open the energy map of Germany that you can see where the electricity is generated now and at the moment it is really a big one. Share of this is coal-fired power in neighboring countries and there you can see that you may not be completely aware of the country.

Renewable energy can supply coal and stop nuclear energy. Both can be done without the threat of blackout for the Bundestag. Harald Schwarz, professor of power distribution at the University of Cottbus, comes to a questionable conclusion in the electricity mix from the components of nuclear, coal, gas, and renewable are already two.

Professor Harald Schwarz: The guaranteed output of wind energy and photovoltaics is between zero, two, or three percent. So de-facto is zero. You can see that what we have days in the year where there is neither wind.”

uring the report, German RBB interviewed Daniel Bartig, a mechanic at the LEAG Lausitz plant. Bartig tells RBB he is skeptical that green energy can do the job, and says “the greatest share of power is currently coming from coal.”

Further down in the report, RBB also interviewed Harald Schwarz, professor of power distribution at the University of Cottbus. Schwarz tells RBB he’s very skeptical of wind and solar energy doing the job. As Germany moves to shut down its reliable nuclear and coal power plants, the gap between supply and demand will grow dangerously wide.

It's great Solar and Wind power so glad you finally embraced the Future

Millions of new high paying jobs will be available in the USA.

GM’S ELECTRIC DELIVERY VAN JUST SET A WORLD RECORD — WITH ME RIDING SHOTGUN
    258.85 miles in the jump seat of one of the world’s first all-electric delivery vans

Green Jobs

Coming soon under Democrats Energy Plan: Your electric bill will double/triple...like your gas prices already have.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Coming soon under Democrats Energy Plan: Your electric bill will double/triple...like your gas prices already have.
    Your state has. power and a electric bill

Making Progress Mississippi

The Fort Madison City Council voted to move forward with installing solar panels at nine city properties at its meeting Tuesday night.

This will be through a power purchase agreement with Red Lion Renewables where the private company owns and installs the solar panels and is responsible for their maintenance.

“By putting solar at these nine locations we can save the city $20,000 a year and about $1.7 million dollars over the next 30 years,” City Manager David Varley told the council. “It’s no nonsense, no hassle, easy on our part.”

He said this is a faster and easy way for the city to convert to solar energy than having to hire a consultant; borrow money to purchase the panels and equipment; and be responsible for the maintenance.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Green Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    GM’S ELECTRIC DELIVERY VAN JUST SET A WORLD RECORD — WITH ME RIDING SHOTGUN
    258.85 miles in the jump seat of one of the world’s first all-electric delivery vans

By Andrew J. Hawkins@andyjayhawk Apr 22, 2022, 6:15am EDT

I am in Baltimore, riding in the passenger seat of an electric delivery van — one of the first in the world, I think — when we pass a white Rivian R1T electric pickup truck.

In some respects, it’s like seeing a ghost. The buzzy EV company began manufacturing the R1T last year and, since then, has only delivered around 2,500 of them. Rivian is also building electric delivery vans for Amazon and other companies, but it won’t say how many it has made so far.

The van I’m riding in was made by BrightDrop, an electric delivery company created by General Motors last year. The occasion is a world record that BrightDrop is attempting to set for “the longest distance traveled by an electric delivery van on a single charge.” I’m riding shotgun, if somewhat uncomfortably. Delivery van jump seats are not meant for long roadtrips, I’m now learning. My butt is asleep, but the Rivian sighting felt like a tiny wake-up call.

I DON’T THINK THE R1T DRIVER NOTICED US AS WE PASSED, BUT, NONETHELESS, I IMAGINE THEM GIVING US A THUMBS-UP

I don’t think the R1T driver noticed us as we passed, but, nonetheless, I imagine them giving us a thumbs-up. Game recognizes game.

Currently, there is no record for longest electric delivery van journey on a single charge for the simple reason that there aren’t any electric delivery vans. There are some hybrid vehicles, and a few electric forklifts and whatnot, but the vast majority of the vans delivering your Amazon and FedEx and UPS packages are powered by dirty dinosaur sludge. A lot of companies have plans to make electric vans, but the actual number of real electric vans on the road today is minuscule.

BrightDrop invited me along on the journey, and I’ve been stuck in my house for the better part of two years, so, honestly, why the hell not.

The day starts bright and early at 5:30AM at a FedEx vehicle depot in midtown Manhattan where a gaggle of employees is gathered around the van, dubbed the Zevo 600, making preparations for the trip. With its round corners, large windshield, black trim, and a slightly shorter stance than its gas-powered equivalents, the van stands out from the other FedEx vehicles parked at the facility. While the other vans all had their hoods open for engine inspections, the Zevo 600 simply has no hood to pop. (The battery, which is located in the floor of the van, powers two electric motors found in the front and rear axle.)

After recording the battery’s state of charge (98 percent) and the odometer (391 miles), the van is ready to get on the road. In the driver seat is Stephen Marlin, a client solutions account executive at BrightDrop. For today’s trip, Marlin was cosplaying as a FedEx driver, wearing the company’s recognizable black and purple uniform. He must look the part because, earlier in the morning, he got chased down by a New York City resident looking for his missing package.

At 7:01AM, we hit the Lincoln Tunnel. Our cargo in the back is several boxes of organic cleaning supplies destined for the Mom’s Organic grocery store in NE Washington, DC. To be sure, this is not an actual delivery run; BrightDrop has orchestrated it for the purposes of setting the record.

The van is being followed by four chase cars, none of which are electric, with photographers and a camera crew capturing every step of the way. One of the camera guys (they’re all men) hangs out the open door of a minivan and shoots video of the Zevo 600 at 70mph. He does not die, and I am amazed.

Since the cargo area is mostly empty, there’s nothing to absorb all the noise. The Zevo 600, like most EVs, is itself quiet. But unlike most EVs on the road today, the delivery van has a steel-lined cargo space that rattles like an empty tin can every time we hit a new bump.

As he drives, Marlin receives instructions from the chase cars via walkie-talkie about when to change lanes and when to speed up or slow down. I resist the urge to grab the walkie-talkie and start yelling, “Breaker breaker one nine, what’s your twenty good buddy?”

The cab is spacious. My jump seat doesn’t recline, but I can cross my legs to offset the pressure on my back. Marlin and I make small talk about Mad Max movies and what to do with too many bananas. The Zevo 600 is speed-governed to 65mph, so we’re passed by all the other delivery vans and trucks on the road. It’s slightly chilly in the van; Marlin wants to keep the heat off in order to maximize the battery’s range. At one point, I briefly doze off.

The Zevo 600 (previously known as the EV600) is the larger of BrightDrop’s two electric vans with 600 cubic feet of cargo space, 250 miles of range, and a gross vehicle weight of less than 10,000 pounds. In layman’s terms, it’s a normal-sized delivery van.

More notably, the van’s body rests on a new EV powertrain and battery pack called Ultium that GM says will power its new generation of electric vehicles, like the Hummer EV. This Ultium platform is crucial to GM’s massive $35 billion investment in electric and autonomous vehicles over the next few years. It’s a flexible architecture that can extend or retract depending on the vehicle size. And, strangely enough, one of the first vehicles to roll out on the Ultium platform is a relatively nondescript delivery van.

At least, that’s what I originally thought before setting off on this trip. But I was surprised by how many passers-by were intrigued by the van, giving it a second look and even requesting to check out the interior and cargo area. Even with the FedEx logo emblazoned on the side, the Zevo 600 grabbed way more attention than I would have imagined.

Electric delivery vans aren’t BrightDrop’s only products. It’s essentially an e-commerce delivery ecosystem that includes software, access to charging station providers, and even an electric propulsion-assisted pallet that can be used in the warehouse or on the street for delivery and package pickup. I got to test out this pallet, dubbed the EP1, in Brooklyn a few weeks back, and I found it very similar to an electric bike or scooter in terms of its controls and handling. I was not allowed to take it home with me.

In addition to FedEx, BrightDrop also has deals with Walmart and Verizon. Walmart reserved 5,000 EVs while FedEx has said it would reserve 2,500. BrightDrop has only delivered 5 vehicles to FedEx so far and will deliver more as they come off the assembly line.

When I wake, we’re at our first destination, which is Allentown, New Jersey, an adorable little burg a few miles outside of Trenton. We pass houses with signs in their front yards angrily denouncing all the loud truck traffic in their community. I wonder if they would be more amenable if those trucks were zero-emission like BrightDrop’s Zevo 600.

After taking photos of the odometer and battery meter, we’re off to our next stop: Philadelphia. We arrive at Independence Hall at 9:20AM with 219 miles left on the battery. As the crew shoots video and takes drone shots, we circle Independence Hall more times than I can count. I give the same sheepish grin to the security guard outside the Hall each time we pass.