Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Goodbye fellow techs

It’s been a long time since I frequented these forums - some funny times offering free frimware & the odd heated debate👀 but it’s also been a wealth of information that’s got me out of hole or 2 but……. It’s over for me.

I started out in 1994ish doing copier repairs and after nearly 30 years it’s time to say goodbye to you all.

My company was taken over by an American brand just before lockdown in the UK - I believe the most hated to work on (yes they are shi*) and the place I currently work at has been decimated & butchered beyond belief by this American company. We’ve had about 70 engineers leave & the replacements have pretty much no experience on copiers which explains why they pay so poorly. We have no tech specs anymore - all left for other company’s. Branded cars & low spec cars/vans, the list goes on but I’m out for good.

8 years ago I went into business with my partner looking after adults with learning difficulties. The pandemic stopped us expanding quicker than what we have liked but now things have started to settle down we can get back on track. I’ll continue to work away from the business for the sole reason to pay off the mortgage quicker but it’s given me a comfortable life compared to earning peanuts in the copier industry & for that it angers me being that’s it’s a very technical industry , however it’s a shrinking industry so it’s time to get out.

I probably will forgot some on here but Blackcat, Debs, Llamagod, Tonermonkey & who can forget Zaza to name but a few have helped me tremendously & I can’t thank them enough & wish you all the very best for the future

Aka banginbishop - grumpy bastard - twat or whatever you want to call me😂

Paul

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Goodbye fellow techs

Re: Goodbye fellow techs

Congratulations on your success Paul! I jumped ship last November and retired. I still do odd jobs here and there.
    I'm glad that you're doing all right.

Come back occasionally. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Congratulations on your success Paul! I jumped ship last November and retired. I still do odd jobs here and there.
    I'm glad that you're doing all right.

Come back occasionally. =^..^=

sent you a private message

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Goodbye fellow techs

Kust because you are retired from the business doesn't that you no longer have knowledge that you can occasionally share. And some of the younger members can use a taste or two of criticism from the grumpy old git.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Kust because you are retired from the business doesn't that you no longer have knowledge that you can occasionally share. And some of the younger members can use a taste or two of criticism from the grumpy old git.
    I’ve actually mellowed over the years we’ll sort of😂 still can’t stand lazy coworkers though!

I actually don’t see a future for this industry as it’s getting smaller by the year. It’s all going cloud based so scanning is playing a big part but printing isn’t so where’s the revenue coming from? Saw a report a few years ago saying the exam board wanted all school test papers online within 5 years. School test papers are a big revenue earner for the industry so if that goes so does a lot of jobs.

I’ve had some fun times but the last few years have been rubbish in the copier industry & I’m nervous going into my new field but glad to be out of the copier industry.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Best of luck with your new endeavours.
    Come back at times experience is really appreciated.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Best of luck with your new endeavours.
    Come back at times experience is really appreciated.
    thank you

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Goodbye fellow techs

Quote Originally Posted by banginbishop View Post
    I’ve actually mellowed over the years we’ll sort of😂 still can’t stand lazy coworkers though!

I actually don’t see a future for this industry as it’s getting smaller by the year. It’s all going cloud based so scanning is playing a big part but printing isn’t so where’s the revenue coming from? Saw a report a few years ago saying the exam board wanted all school test papers online within 5 years. School test papers are a big revenue earner for the industry so if that goes so does a lot of jobs.

I’ve had some fun times but the last few years have been rubbish in the copier industry & I’m nervous going into my new field but glad to be out of the copier industry.
    Stepping into the unknown is scary, take it one day at a time and make the most of everyday and you will be fine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Goodbye fellow techs

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    X1

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Goodbye fellow techs

Brother you did your time.
    Switch tracks.
    Something you enjoy. Something that will give you good feelings while still bringing in the bacon.
    Best of luck, and as others have stated..keep in touch.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk