Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Re: Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

A good video on the sickness, corruption and lies in the food industry from an insider

Retired 10,000+ Posts

An interesting take on having a backup plan from an avocado grower.

Could this possibly be a potential problem with all the toxins that have leached into the soil and water? Food supply.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Just cooked up a batch of Okinawan sweet potatoes we grow here in the garden to go with dinner, man are they good. I boil mine and serve them mashed here is the recipe.
    Mashed Okinawan Sweet Potato Recipe | Cooking On The Weekends

My garden was doing real well and then I had to move to another property. 2 Months later and I already have the first cucumber. Sucked to have to have moved but where I am now is mush better. Got all kinds of goodies going this time. Learning much more about healthy soil and how to keep the pests at bay. A hell of a thing to grow your own food, guess having 2 years to build a system that will support 3 or 4 people could be very possible.

Nothing like spearmint in a salad dressing. That stuff with some basil, garlic, onion, turmeric, paprika, pepper, salt, oil, vinegar or lemon and finished with a touch of honey. That makes the greens go down. Then realizing this is done from mostly fresh stuff with no processing and nothing can compare. Its dangerous to have a decadent touch.

Been out shrooming the last 2 months with all the rain and heat and humidity. I developed hives from too much oyster mushroom. That lead to a histamine increase. Never knew you can break out in a serious rash that creeps over you appearing and mysteriously disappear again. After a couple of anti-histamine pills it disappeared without a trace. Was that or even the white sapote seeds I was chewing on.

I have never seem them sweet potatoes with a shade of that Barney the dinosaur character. The guy next door have me some sweet potato vines to plant and they are picking up nicely. About 4 months to some roots I hope.
    Whatever

Youre doing some cool stuff, Allen! I'm sorry to hear about your mushroom experience, I've always been very cautious with them, especially out in the wild. I know some people who pick the "purple ringers" from cow poop, but it's not my thing. I LOVE Sapote, I have grown serval Mamay Sapote from seeds, they are doing good but do not expect fruit for at least another 3 years or so. I have also acquired more mango trees so far in my collection I have M-4 (coconut flavored), Coconut Cream, Venus, Kathy, Ice Cream, Ugly Betty, Cotton Candy, Carrie (some say the worlds best tasting), Sugar Loaf, Honey Kiss, Lemon Zest. I have found gowning fruits and veggies to be addicting if you taste one then you want it. I have add more avocadoes to the property too, we have a total of about 5 0r 6 different types and about a total of 10 avocado trees, I can't wait to try my Oro Negro when it produces.
    We have harvested about 10 lbs of Pigeon peas so far and more sweet potatoes. Our mulberries are starting to produce again and I made a nice mulberry wine that was a hit with the neighbors, I gave out some free samples and told them if they were interested I will sell them more...they want more. I have found that mulberry wine I do not have to add sugar or yeast in order for it to ferment, last year I just put them in a jar with some water in the closet for serval months and I had a nice 10% abv mulberry wine.
    I exchanged some tomato starts for some of my elderberry starts so I will be starting tomato and cucumbers real soon.

Thanks its rewarding and challenging at the same time. Would love to see all of the variety you have there. On this property there are fruit and nut trees but the owner does not do much to care for it. The trees does not bare much due to lack of sunlight and good food. There are litchi, avo, mango, custard apple, starfruit, apricot, grape fruit, lemon and about 200 macadamia trees here.

I tried to make some Catawba wine. My first try turn to vinegar also no yeast or sugar. Decided to make cider instead adding yeast and sugar and that was real good. That lead to about 2 weeks of beer making with the weirdest being made from oats and curry tree berries, real yucky stuff with a dangerous punch. Not being much of a drinker the brewing did not last long. I will rather try to make good vinegar next time. I love a good vinegar, the best I had was made by an old Portuguese uncle from the spent mash from him making some of the best litchi brandy I ever had. He also only use the fruit not even adding water.

Chilies are one of the most rewarding thinks I have grown. I will have plenty of Serano chilies soon.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    A good video on the sickness, corruption and lies in the food industry from an insider
    Yea Calley Means conveys his argument that our health starts at the cellular level well. Its sad that this is allowed to transpire. There are people out there that understands what they are doing is evil so that they can pain power over the ones that do not comprehend what is being done to them. This is a whole other way to control people thru what is made available to them to consume.

Interesting how race is worked into that...
    Whatever