Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Re: Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    Chemicals are just BAD for you. For example, I see news stories every single day of people dying due to inhaling dihydrogen monoxide. Everywhere in our environment!!!
    I don't think I have heard of this chemical before. Interesting stuff, according to this article it is a major toxin, yet it is used as a food additive, cough syrups and pharmaceuticals. Practices of Science: Interpreting Safety Information | manoa.hawaii.edu/ExploringOurFluidEarth

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I don't think I have heard of this chemical before. Interesting stuff, according to this article it is a major toxin, yet it is used as a food additive.Practices of Science: Interpreting Safety Information | manoa.hawaii.edu/ExploringOurFluidEarth
    There's no avoiding this stuff. We're all doomed!

LOL, live life and enjoy everyday to the fullest! That is why I garden, walking around barefooted, taking deep breaths as I stare into the sky and clouds while listening to some great music.

What gets to me it that nitrogen pollution that does not seem anywhere as serious as this DHMO issue is being used to gain property. First the Netherlands and India now Canada.
    It would be a devastating blow on industry to try and ban it now.

Thanks for informing me about this. Reminds me of formaldehyde.
    Whatever

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-04 at 11.41.26 AM.jpg
    Avos. Its awesome to be living close to the export farms. Those are sub grade. About $7 for the crate!
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts

It amazes me what the FDA allows in foods,
    The FDA and other global agencies know that with current technology it is impossible to prevent contaminates from getting into food products so they set maximum limits. Most people have absolutely what can legally be in what they eat.
    Here's How Much Mouse Poop The FDA Allows In Your Food | HuffPost Life

take fruit loops for example refined sugar is the first ingredient, related to obesity and hyper activity then it is loaded with a concoction of food colors that are linked to ADHD and cancer, not to mention its all gmo. If your a parent and you want the best nutrition for your children, you do not feed them this crap.
    Then parents can't figure out why their kids are so hyper active so they talk to their doctor who recommends putting them on pills to fix the issue. How about taking some of this crap out of their diet and always remember kids do not want to sit in a class room for hours at a time, they would much rather be out on the playground.
    The refined sugar industry has a strangle hold on the news media. They try to block the truth. They have claimed there is no proof that sugar can cause hyper activity. They point to studies where children with hyper activity have been take off sugar with no observable change compared to a control group. The problem the studies are too short. They are usually only 1 to 2 weeks in duration. From having taken our children off sugar sweetened treats and onto things like carob in place of chocolate and candies sweetened with sweeteners derived from citrus like sorbitol and zylitol. After about 4 weeks the change was to the point that their teachers even commented on their improved behavior in class.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-04 at 11.41.26 AM.jpg
    Avos. Its awesome to be living close to the export farms. Those are sub grade. About $7 for the crate!
    That's a nice situation to be in. We have multiple types of avocadoes on the property, I planted different types because I wanted different bloom times. Avocadoes don't need 2 flower types to produce fruit, but having 2 types (A&B) will bring more fruits. Here are the grafted avocadoes I have planted, Oro Negro, Mexicola Grande, Berniker, Super Haas, Lula, Lila, Expedition, Brogden and a Doni, and a few I have grown from seed as well (I am of the understanding that avocadoes do not grow true to seed)and, they are a mix of A and B type flowers types. To increase pollination to the flowers I mix molasses and fish emulsion in my hose sprayer attachment and spay the leaves and flowers to help attract pollinators.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The FDA and other global agencies know that with current technology it is impossible to prevent contaminates from getting into food products so they set maximum limits. Most people have absolutely what can legally be in what they eat.
    Here's How Much Mouse Poop The FDA Allows In Your Food | HuffPost Life

The refined sugar industry has a strangle hold on the news media. They try to block the truth. They have claimed there is no proof that sugar can cause hyper activity. They point to studies where children with hyper activity have been take off sugar with no observable change compared to a control group. The problem the studies are too short. They are usually only 1 to 2 weeks in duration. From having taken our children off sugar sweetened treats and onto things like carob in place of chocolate and candies sweetened with sweeteners derived from citrus like sorbitol and zylitol. After about 4 weeks the change was to the point that their teachers even commented on their improved behavior in class.
    My dad made me read the book Sugar Blues by William Dufty when I was a teenager, it really opened my eyes to how addicting refined sugar is, maybe purposely done, too.

That's a nice situation to be in. We have multiple types of avocadoes on the property, I planted different types because I wanted different bloom times. Avocadoes don't need 2 flower types to produce fruit, but having 2 types (A&B) will bring more fruits. Here are the grafted avocadoes I have planted, Oro Negro, Mexicola Grande, Berniker, Super Haas, Lula, Lila, Expedition, Brogden and a Doni, and a few I have grown from seed as well (I am of the understanding that avocadoes do not grow true to seed)and, they are a mix of A and B type flowers types. To increase pollination to the flowers I mix molasses and fish emulsion in my hose sprayer attachment and spay the leaves and flowers to help attract pollinators.
    Ok wow. You seem to very knowledgeable about this. Gee how much space for you have for all of this?
    Growing avos from seed takes a lot of patience.
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Growing avos from seed takes a lot of patience.
    Here is California it is a very common high school science fair project. At least =getting the nuts to sprout root and shoots suspended by wooden tooth picks in a glass of water.
    Sprouting an Avocado Seed | Horticulture and Home Pest News