Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Re: Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Some Cape gooseberries and Brazilian cherries. Only have only two Cape gooseberry plants but they are very happy been harvesting every other for the last two months and its picking up. It needs to be contained and pruning the ends just makes it worse so I need to cut back a bunch but I don't want to while its giving good yield. After giving it good natural fertilizer the fruit has been sweeter and the plant became sticky to the touch! The Brazilian cherry tree is about 5 years old and about 16 feet tall and has become very giving. Its a bit of an exercise to get to them but they are real good.

Attachment 54325
    Nice! How do you like Gooseberries? We have a small Gooseberry plant, but no fruit yet. Those Brazilian cherries look like what we call Surinam cherries, we have a red type (about 60 bushes) and our neighbor makes wine out of them. I also have a black variety that is really sweet, I was able to save 20 seeds and sprouted them for next year planting.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Nice! How do you like Gooseberries? We have a small Gooseberry plant, but no fruit yet. Those Brazilian cherries look like what we call Surinam cherries, we have a red type (about 60 bushes) and our neighbor makes wine out of them. I also have a black variety that is really sweet, I was able to save 20 seeds and sprouted them for next year planting.
    The Cape gooseberry are quite nice and sweet when ripe. Been making jam out of them. Have never seen common variety gooseberries. Yes they would be Surinam cherries.I have to harvest before the birds get to them first so they vary from red to black. Sweet all the same. I have been collecting all the seed. I want to seed and sell them if possible. Not legal everywhere they spread aggressively.

Not into wine would rather try making vinegar from the cherries.
    Whatever

Great information, thank you. I did not really know that much about amino acids, I knew they were crucial for health. We grow moringa oleifera trees on our property, I know they are very nutritious but I did not know they contained all the amino acids as well. They have a spicy taste, we eat them raw and powdered as well in our smoothies. Here is some information on the tree, I know they grow them in Africa to help with nutritional support as they do not require much water or attention to grow. Maybe, Allen has heard of this tree. You can actually kill parasites in water with the seeds if needed.302 Found
    moringa oleifera - Google Search

Yes I have planted one before. Reached 4 years and the birds destroyed it every last tiny leave was picked up. They left it alone until they realized its food. Moringa Oleifera must grow in arid sandy soil or it collects to much heavy metals out of fertile soil rendering it somewhat noxious. I had to remove two cubic meters of soil and filled it with sand then planted it. They are more to the north of me stating in northern Mozambique and up from there. Boko Haram territory none wants to go to.
    Whatever

Yes I have planted one before. Reached 4 years and the birds destroyed it every last tiny leave was picked up. They left it alone until they realized its food. Moringa Oleifera must grow in arid sandy soil or it collects to much heavy metals out of fertile soil rendering it somewhat noxious. I had to remove two cubic meters of soil and filled it with sand then planted it. They are more to the north of me stating in northern Mozambique and up from there. Boko Haram territory none wants to go to.
    That's interesting about it collecting heavy metals, I will have to research that. It's an amazing tree, I am told you can make dirty water potable with them, I have never tried it.Key Water Purification Properties of Moringa Seeds Revealed | Technology Networks

LOL, live life and enjoy everyday to the fullest! That is why I garden, walking around barefooted, taking deep breaths as I stare into the sky and clouds while listening to some great music.
    Its been a long time since I have enjoyed music. Thanks for that.
    Just found this a while ago.

Unsupported browser
    Whatever

Its been a long time since I have enjoyed music. Thanks for that.
    Just found this a while ago.

Unsupported browser
    You're welcome, I really dig this band, I have not found a song I do not like

Here is one way 3 D printers are being used to produce insect and vegetable food...yuck!
    3D printing insects mixed with vegetables could help us to prevent food crisis

A food fears worsen, GMO will be more readily accepted.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-bioceres-says

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

A food fears worsen, GMO will be more readily accepted.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-bioceres-says
    The plan.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk