Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

As we all we are experiencing food issues with increasing prices and shortages. Let's leave politics out of it if possible, there are enough threads here full of that, please just state facts and back them up with legit information and not personal opinions. We started growing many fruit trees years ago such as Mangos, jackfruits, oranges, lemons, avocados, cherries, grapes, peaches, jabuticoba, elderberry etc. but have since added many gardens growing our own lettuces, spinaches, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Being in the garden is also encouraged by health practitioners because of its healing effects of living in the moment and eating your own food that you have grown from your garden.
    We see Texas is experiencing droughts, many food processing plants have caught fire and many of the farmers have sold their cattle to make ends meet with the rising costs of feed and fertilizers and rising meat prices effect all of us who eat meat. I have chosen to eat a vegetarian diet over 4 years ago, but, I feel the pain of the increase of egg prices when I have to purchase eggs at the store.
    We make our own fertilizers and grow plants specifically for this purpose. Ground covers that produce nitrogen and the soil level, or plants such a Tithonia diversiflora as a chop n drop or compost tea material to put needed nutrients into the soils.
    We now know that current US farmland is under attack is being bought by rich investors, that have never farmed a day in their life. Why are they buying up farmland and what do the intend to do with it?
    Feel free to share anything related to gardening related, ingredients in processed foods and possible diseases caused by these ingredients or food chain related issues.
    Billionaire-funded eco group quietly taking farmland out of production in rural America

Re: Gardens, Food and Food supply issues.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The City of Bakersfield has recently revised their Green Waste recycling and composting service. It used to only take lawn and gardening waste. Compost was then made available by the pickup load for home owners, landscapers and farmers wishing to use compos to enrich their soil. The following can now be placed in the Green Waste toters:
    Green Organics Recycling Cart

• Food Waste
    • Concessionaire Paper Products (pizza box, paper plate, paper napkin)
    • Yard Waste
    • Garden Waste
    • Landscape Waste
    • Untreated Wood
    • Brush

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The City of Bakersfield has recently revised their Green Waste recycling and composting service. It used to only take lawn and gardening waste. Compost was then made available by the pickup load for home owners, landscapers and farmers wishing to use compos to enrich their soil. The following can now be placed in the Green Waste toters:
    Green Organics Recycling Cart

• Food Waste
    • Concessionaire Paper Products (pizza box, paper plate, paper napkin)
    • Yard Waste
    • Garden Waste
    • Landscape Waste
    • Untreated Wood
    • Brush
    An awesome program Slim to take advantage of! We used to have that where I lived years ago, it was some of the best compost, I used to drive my pickup truck there and load up. They stopped doing it and instead they started to incorporate it into the land fill material because they said it helps with the decomposition process, at least that what I was told.
    We do have two recycling facilities that recycle trees and brush from construction sites. They both grind up the materials and let them breakdown, however, one of the facilities uses biosolids in the mix, basically waste from water treatment plants. Biosolids sound like a good idea in your compost, but the problem is it leaves a lot of variables in the equation so I choose the facility that does not use biosolids. Biosolids dangers - Google Search

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    An awesome program Slim to take advantage of! We used to have that where I lived years ago, it was some of the best compost, I used to drive my pickup truck there and load up. They stopped doing it and instead they started to incorporate it into the land fill material because they said it helps with the decomposition process, at least that what I was told.
    We do have two recycling facilities that recycle trees and brush from construction sites. They both grind up the materials and let them breakdown, however, one of the facilities uses biosolids in the mix, basically waste from water treatment plants. Biosolids sound like a good idea in your compost, but the problem is it leaves a lot of variables in the equation so I choose the facility that does not use biosolids. Biosolids dangers - Google Search
    Here in California they are trying to reduce the amount of material going into our landfills. Therefore recycle and compost as much as possible. It also reduces the amount of methane producing compost material entering the land fills.

Of course years ago many people used to have their own compost heaps in their back yards.

All men should piss in there gardens... Its one of the best bio available sources of nitrogen and trace elements. Imagine the amount of good plant food pissed away every day. Pun intended.
    Like mentioned plants love it.

That bio solids and sewage sludge include oil, medical waste and every thing else that can go down a drain. Its toxic stuff. Know of home steaders that use there own waste for fertilizer and its save if its done right.

Been planting today. Got African wormwood and marjoram that got some good health properties. Especially the wormwood its a good natural pain killer and anti-depressant.
    Got about 80 seedlings into the soil today. Including parsley, thyme, Serrano chili, dill, water crest, cucumber and garlic chives.

Only use cold press olive oil, cold pressed virgin coconut oil, cold pressed macadamia oil and 100% sunflower oil for frying.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    All men should piss in there gardens... Its one of the best bio available sources of nitrogen and trace elements. Imagine the amount of good plant food pissed away every day. Pun intended.
    Like mentioned plants love it.

That bio solids and sewage sludge include oil, medical waste and every thing else that can go down a drain. Its toxic stuff. Know of home steaders that use there own waste for fertilizer and its save if its done right.

Been planting today. Got African wormwood and marjoram that got some good health properties. Especially the wormwood its a good natural pain killer and anti-depressant.
    Got about 80 seedlings into the soil today. Including parsley, thyme, Serrano chili, dill, water crest, cucumber and garlic chives.

Only use cold press olive oil, cold pressed virgin coconut oil, cold pressed macadamia oil and 100% sunflower oil for frying.
    Human urine with no pharmaceuticals is actually better than miracle grow, its loaded with potassium. I spent some time on an organic farm for summer internship and all the waste was composted from urine to feces, but some are against the feces part of composting. We make biochar and soak it in water, urine and fish emulsion and use it in our soil. We know a person that is making biochar and selling it, he makes a good living on it, he mixes one with worm castings $$$.
    Are you located in Australia? What time of the year is it there? African wormwood, is that the ingredient that makes Absinthe so famous? I am not familiar with marjoram. How big is your planting area? Parsley is really good for pulling heavy metals from the body, we make a mango smoothie and add parsley to it.
    Cold pressed is defiantly a good way to go on you oils. I have eliminated 99% of hydrogenated oils from my diet, and stay away from cooked oils if possible and use good old fashioned butter instead, furthermore I have not tried macadamia oil. I had wonderful cucumbers growing in a raised bed last year, but the nematodes got to the roots, they are a real problem here. So, we plant marigolds around our crops because it is a natural poison to the nematodes and it seems to work. I am going to try to make a marigold compost tea in the near future. human urine as fetilizer - Google Search

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Human urine with no pharmaceuticals is actually better than miracle grow
    Well, no way mine is useable!

I have studied veganism and know some vegans personally. I have actually attended some classes of one of the people in this video, they are fruitarians, they only eat fruit and claim they can get all of their nutrition though the fruits they eat and cure all the bodies ailments though fruit. Fruitarians are very extreme and seem unhealthy to me, very skinny with heavy looking eyes. The body needs meat of some source whether it be land or sea, cooked of course, and replacing it with fruits or insects, yes, insects will not cut it. I see now where on Hollyweirdo stars are eating insects, crazy stuff. I ate a fried grasshopper and a cricket on a dare when I was about 18, I ate them they tasted like crap, but I won the bet and got me a nice 12 pack of beer.

Human urine with no pharmaceuticals is actually better than miracle grow, its loaded with potassium. I spent some time on an organic farm for summer internship and all the waste was composted from urine to feces, but some are against the feces part of composting. We make biochar and soak it in water, urine and fish emulsion and use it in our soil. We know a person that is making biochar and selling it, he makes a good living on it, he mixes one with worm castings $$$.
    Are you located in Australia? What time of the year is it there? African wormwood, is that the ingredient that makes Absinthe so famous? I am not familiar with marjoram. How big is your planting area? Parsley is really good for pulling heavy metals from the body, we make a mango smoothie and add parsley to it.
    Cold pressed is defiantly a good way to go on you oils. I have eliminated 99% of hydrogenated oils from my diet, and stay away from cooked oils if possible and use good old fashioned butter instead, furthermore I have not tried macadamia oil. I had wonderful cucumbers growing in a raised bed last year, but the nematodes got to the roots, they are a real problem here. So, we plant marigolds around our crops because it is a natural poison to the nematodes and it seems to work. I am going to try to make a marigold compost tea in the near future. human urine as fetilizer - Google Search

South-Africa.Moving towards spring in September. The wormwood is for flavoring absinthe its the opium that delivers the punch the African kind is similar. Marjoram is origanum just much stronger.
    I wish i had more space its a small back yard but in a very fertile region. Struggling with clay soil need to add lots of other grow medium and compost otherwise it goes rock hard. A biochar battery setup is on my short list of things to make. Its like a rocket stove only better and produces biochar as a by product. Lucky to get pure cold pressed coconut oil for Mozambique its very fragrant so does not always go well with everything and its a solid at ambient temp goes well on bread and it is saturated. Macadamia oil is neutral to its good for salads. Nematodes looks nasty luck none of that there are lost of earthworms around the river beds here so I introduce those to the beddings. Also try to implement companion planting. We have khakibos plant that is related to marigolds here. Marigold oil is a natural tick and flea treatment for horses and cattle.

Artemisia afra - Wikipedia

Whatever