Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Hiring a copier tech question??

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Thanks for your input. I don't disagree but after I was away from copiers for all of those years, it was a steep learning curve. A copier tech today needs to know so much more information. But duly noted. Thanks.
    Good luck

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hiring a copier tech question??

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    If you fail, you'll have to fire yourself. =^..^=

A couple of months ago I got a speeding ticket for doing 20 mph over the speeding limit. I was distracted and didn't realize I was that far over the speed limit. Anyway, I was ordered to take an online driving course and they promised to drop the speeding ticket. I thogught that was a sweet deal....until I started the online course. They gave me a test at the beginning of the course and said that I would be given a final test at the end.

Anyway, took a long time to finish the course. I passed the test. They never told me the score. I don't know where I'm going with this other than to say that I didn't enjoy it and felt a lot of pressure to pass the test. It would have been so embarassing to fail a test like that.

I glanced over your test real briefly. I can already feel the pressure.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'd be interested in seeing that test, if you'd send me a copy I'll take the test and let you know how I scored.

I looked at about the first 5 questions. I was confident on about 4 of them. I was unsure on the one with the water pump. It shows 2 possible ways for the water to enter and it asks you to identify the correct input for water in.

A. is the lower opening
    B. is the upper opening
    and

C. is both of the above.

I'm sure that I missed something but from the picture I couldn't really say for sure. I mean, I don't know the internal build of the pump. Obviously I'm missing something. lol

Edit: In a car its standard that the water is fed from the bottom and discharged from the top. If I was gonna guess.....that would be my answer.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I looked at about the first 5 questions. I was confident on about 4 of them. I was unsure on the one with the water pump. It shows 2 possible ways for the water to enter and it asks you to identify the correct input for water in.

A. is the lower opening
    B. is the upper opening
    and

C. is both of the above.

I'm sure that I missed something but from the picture I couldn't really say for sure. I mean, I don't know the internal build of the pump. Obviously I'm missing something. lol

Edit: In a car its standard that the water is fed from the bottom and discharged from the top. If I was gonna guess.....that would be my answer.
    A centrifugal pump, like the water pump on your car, typically feeds water into the center of the housing, and the spinning impeller throws it to the outside. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    A centrifugal pump, like the water pump on your car, typically feeds water into the center of the housing, and the spinning impeller throws it to the outside. =^..^=

Understood. But the question is, which way does spinning impeller rotate? That will determine if water enters the top or bottm. To me that would depend on the direction of spine leafs that make up part of the impeller. I couldn't make out the direction. I'm gonna take a better look.

Below is a picture I pulled off the internet. I can tell which direction the impeller will spin. On the pic in test....not so much.

pump.jpg

It's question number 56 if you want to take peek at the one I'm talking about.

Nevermind. I figured it out. Duh!!!

It also means that the water would spin clockwise and be thrown out the opening in the top.

I will take the complete test soon as I can.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I remember a similar test when I first got in 33 years ago. Test took about 2 hours with lots of questions from all sorts of areas electrical, mechanical, fluid, and logic were the main ideas tested. I'm bragging, but got them all right except one. It was a really fuzzy picture of a spring hook, which had probably been copied 3 times over on the test handed me. Impressed the heck out of the interviewer.

I remember having to do a mock service call where the only information I was given was "talk to Jen, the receptionist about the copier in accounting" I had to introduce myself to "Jen" who was the interviewer, explain who I am and why I am there. Then the interviewer started going off about what a piece of crap it was, why you can't fix anything, you are the 3rd person to try to fix etc. It rattled me pretty good. Looking back it was a good example of how applicant handles themselves amist friction and frustrated customer. I didn't know anything about copiers/printers at that point, so I just kept saying yes, I understand, I will check into it, let me jot down your concerns so I don't forget, etc.

As was mentioned, there are lots of great repairmen/repairwomen/repair-IT/repair-THEM/repair-NONBINARY individuals out there, but you want the ones that can handle customers also.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

I remember taking a test on my first copier job. I was fresh out of school and the test was almost exclusively on electronics. I got one wrong and I asked to see the one that I got wrong and when I looked at it, I knew that my answser was right and told the owner that. Turns out that I was correct.

Understood. But the question is, which way does spinning impeller rotate? That will determine if water enters the top or bottm. To me that would depend on the direction of spine leafs that make up part of the impeller. I couldn't make out the direction. I'm gonna take a better look.

Below is a picture I pulled off the internet. I can tell which direction the impeller will spin. On the pic in test....not so much.

pump.jpg

It's question number 56 if you want to take peek at the one I'm talking about.
    With that design it will pump water in both directions... One way much better then the other. The centrifugal force creates pressure and will have outlet pressure regardless of the position of the outlet.
    One way to fail the question. Took tests for an ATM technician position and failed it, the reason was not what I thought.
    Shit sorry side tracking the thread.
    Whatever