Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hiring a copier tech question??

I'm getting ready to hire 1, maybe 2 techs. I want to do this the right way. What I want to do is give them a written test. I have some ideas but there's so many great, smart, experienced techs on here, I'd like to get your input.

If you were hiring a tech, what questions would you ask? Also, feel free to throw out anything that would help. Thanks.

PS - I also want to give them a troubleshooting problem on a real machine....
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Re: Hiring a copier tech question??

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm getting ready to hire 1, maybe 2 techs. I want to do this the right way. What I want to do is give them a written test. I have some ideas but there's so many great, smart, experienced techs on here, I'd like to get your input.

If you were hiring a tech, what questions would you ask? Also, feel free to throw out anything that would help. Thanks.

PS - I also want to give them a troubleshooting problem on a real machine....
    Personally, I think the first thing you want is someone with a good customer rapport. People can learn to fix equipment, but it is much harder to teach respect

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Personally, I think the first thing you want is someone with a good customer rapport. People can learn to fix equipment, but it is much harder to teach respect

Thanks for your input. I don't disagree but after I was away from copiers for all of those years, it was a steep learning curve. A copier tech today needs to know so much more information. But duly noted. Thanks.

Ask them to explain the copy process in there own words. That should make an interesting read.
    Take a machine and unplug a couple of connectors in places that need some disassemble and see how long it takes them to get the machine running again.
    Set them on a mocked up call to a friends office and ask there receptionist how they liked them.
    Do a voluntary drug screening test!
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Thanks for your input. I don't disagree but after I was away from copiers for all of those years, it was a steep learning curve. A copier tech today needs to know so much more information. But duly noted. Thanks.
    IMHO the 2 most important things for a new tech is the ability to read and the ability to use hand tools. If they can't read and understand a service manual they are useless. And if they use a screw driver to remove covers and components, once they are useless.

Make up your own test with questions from the service manual for the machine they will be looking on the most and give them time to look up the answers. Then have them remove a back cover and dismount a fan, reverse.

Let them set up printing and scanning but break the PC's network config first.
    Whatever

Ask them to assess a machine for you and give PM advise.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

At my first copier job there were 20+ of us in a room, taking the Bennett Mechanical Test. It was a quick way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. 18 of 20 got 15% correct or less. Dan & I got hired: 98% each. I still have a copy if you're interested.

I think another practical way would be to provide a laptop with service manual. Demonstrate how to do a text search in the service manual (if necessary). Assign a component (preferably one with a procedure in the service manual), i.e. fuser motor.
    1) Have trainee find procedure in the manual to remove/re-install.
    2) Have trainee remove the component.
    3) Have trainee re-install the component.
    4) Confirm that the machine still works when he's done.

Rules: Questions are fine, but using the manual is required. I'm not just going to tell you what to do.

You should be able to quickly identify if your trainee has any aptitude, any ability to think independently.

I think the next step would be to take the trainee on a service call. Work the call together. Make sure the trainee understands what you did and why. Give your customer explanation with trainee observing.
    Take trainee to second call. Work the call together. Make sure trainee understands what you did and why. Have trainee give the customer explanation. See how he does. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    At my first copier job there were 20+ of us in a room, taking the Bennett Mechanical Test. It was a quick way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. 18 of 20 got 15% correct or less. Dan & I got hired: 98% each. I still have a copy if you're interested.

I think another practical way would be to provide a laptop with service manual. Demonstrate how to do a text search in the service manual (if necessary). Assign a component (preferably one with a procedure in the service manual), i.e. fuser motor.

Rules: Questions are fine, but using the manual is required. I'm not just going to tell you what to do.

You should be able to quickly identify if your trainee has any aptitude, any ability to think independently.

I think the next step would be to take the trainee on a service call. Work the call together. Make sure the trainee understands what you did and why. Give your customer explanation with trainee observing.
    Take trainee to second call. Work the call together. Make sure trainee understands what you did and why. Have trainee give the customer explanation. See how he does. =^..^=

Yeah, if you don't mind, send me a copy of the Bennett Mechanical Test. blackcat that's some good stuff.

I knew when I posted this thread that I'd get a lot of valuable information. Y'all brought ideas that I'd never think of. There's a lot of very smart poeple on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

Great idea as always.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk