Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Trudeau confiscating guns in Canada

Re: Trudeau confiscating guns in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Are you using your lifeline to find out about Churchill?

You need work on your comedy routine
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You need work on your comedy routine
    Well, at least you identified it as humour. That's half the battle

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I am not anti gun but the buyback in Australia buy a Conservative government worked, no mass shootings since.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Okay, let me try this. Churchill was PM of ENGLAND during WW2 and trudeau wasn't. That's about it I guess.
    Close but still no cigar. At least you are trying to actually answer a question.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Close but still no cigar. At least you are trying to actually answer a question.
    Ummmmmm, Churchill smoked cigars and trudeau doesn't?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    I am not anti gun but the buyback in Australia buy a Conservative government worked, no mass shootings since.
    And how many decades ago was that? Something like 26 years give or take a few months. Yet there is still an estimated 260 thousand illegal guns in Australia. The main reasons there are no mass shootings is that there are more than 10 times that number of legally owned and registered firearms and most likely no "Gun Free Zones" so the so the bad guys know that is if they start anything, a good guy with a gun will most likely end it immediately.
    26 Years After Australia's 'Buyback' it Still Has 260K 'Illegal' Guns in Circulation :: Guns.com

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    How many mass shootings before the forced puchase program? It's not a buyback because your government never owned the guns in the first place.

Do you know how to tell when a Candian is lying? His mouth is moving.

copier addcit tries to give Trudeau cover by calling the confiscation of guns a "buy back" program. I don't know about you guys, but if someone offers me something and the penalty for refusing is jail time....that's not a good deal for me.

Would anyone be surprised if Trudeau enacted a "one child" policy to combat Global Warming?

Read below:

Canada’s Looming Confiscation Day

Once again, another nation is providing the United States with a stark warning as to what happens to the people’s right to keep and bear arms when it is insufficiently protected in the law. On April 30 of this year, the Canadian government says it will begin prosecuting Canadians who continue to possess any of the 1,500 models of firearm that, until May of 2020, it had been perfectly legal for them to own. The guns in question have been described by the Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, as “military-grade assault weapons,” but they are, of course, no such thing. Rather, they are the most commonly produced rifles, pistols, shotguns and carbines in the world, including the AR-10, the AR-15 and the Mini-14.

In the United States, such firearms would be protected under both the Second Amendment and the D.C. v. Heller (2008) decision’s “common-use” standard. In Canada, by contrast, no such protections stand. Instead, the government was simply able to say it “concluded that these firearms are not reasonable for hunting or sporting purposes,” and then to demand they be prohibited post haste.

How? That depends. Between the announcement back in 2020 and April 30 of this year, owners were granted an amnesty, during which they were barred from using their guns “for hunting or sport shooting, either at a range or elsewhere,” as well as from buying, selling, loaning or transporting their guns in any way, until the government decided what to do next. And what did it decide to do? As this was going to print, that still was not clear. The government had promised that “the Canadian Firearms Program will communicate with all license holders” once the “details on grandfathering and compensation” have been decided.

The result has been a legal twilight zone, within which confused Canadian gun owners are kept unsure about what is going to happen next. As of December 2021, only 160 guns had been turned into the police for destruction, leaving an estimated 100,000 now-prohibited guns in legal limbo—unusable, but possessable ... maybe. When I write “limbo,” I mean it, for the difference between the various options on the table is truly stark. It is possible that the Canadian government will insist that every single gun on its list be “bought back” (a euphemism for “confiscated with some financial recompense”) or destroyed without compensation. It is possible that the government will see fit to permit some guns, but not others, to remain in their owner’s hands (but never be transferred or used). And it is possible that the government will dither further and extend the deadline as a result.

Reading through the history of the order, it seems clear that the Canadian government has acted first and thought later. It is one thing to announce emphatically that you intend to ban the most-commonly owned rifles in the country. But it is quite another to actually do it. Per official estimates, Canada’s government is prepared to spend up to a billion dollars in pursuit of the guns it says “exceed … any safe civilian use.” And so, to quote Winston Churchill, “they go on in strange paradox, decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all powerful for impotency.”

In the meantime, Canada’s law-abiding gun owners are being deprived of their rights with no sign of relief on the horizon and no idea if they are about to be turned into criminals.

“Why does America have the Second Amendment?” foreigners often ask me. This, right here, is why.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Do you know how to tell when a Candian is lying? His mouth is moving.

copier addcit tries to give Trudeau cover by calling the confiscation of guns a "buy back" program. I don't know about you guys, but if someone offers me something and the penalty for refusing is jail time....that's not a good deal for me.

Would anyone be surprised if Trudeau enacted a "one child" policy to combat Global Warming?

Read below:

Canada’s Looming Confiscation Day

Once again, another nation is providing the United States with a stark warning as to what happens to the people’s right to keep and bear arms when it is insufficiently protected in the law. On April 30 of this year, the Canadian government says it will begin prosecuting Canadians who continue to possess any of the 1,500 models of firearm that, until May of 2020, it had been perfectly legal for them to own. The guns in question have been described by the Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, as “military-grade assault weapons,” but they are, of course, no such thing. Rather, they are the most commonly produced rifles, pistols, shotguns and carbines in the world, including the AR-10, the AR-15 and the Mini-14.

In the United States, such firearms would be protected under both the Second Amendment and the D.C. v. Heller (2008) decision’s “common-use” standard. In Canada, by contrast, no such protections stand. Instead, the government was simply able to say it “concluded that these firearms are not reasonable for hunting or sporting purposes,” and then to demand they be prohibited post haste.

How? That depends. Between the announcement back in 2020 and April 30 of this year, owners were granted an amnesty, during which they were barred from using their guns “for hunting or sport shooting, either at a range or elsewhere,” as well as from buying, selling, loaning or transporting their guns in any way, until the government decided what to do next. And what did it decide to do? As this was going to print, that still was not clear. The government had promised that “the Canadian Firearms Program will communicate with all license holders” once the “details on grandfathering and compensation” have been decided.

The result has been a legal twilight zone, within which confused Canadian gun owners are kept unsure about what is going to happen next. As of December 2021, only 160 guns had been turned into the police for destruction, leaving an estimated 100,000 now-prohibited guns in legal limbo—unusable, but possessable ... maybe. When I write “limbo,” I mean it, for the difference between the various options on the table is truly stark. It is possible that the Canadian government will insist that every single gun on its list be “bought back” (a euphemism for “confiscated with some financial recompense”) or destroyed without compensation. It is possible that the government will see fit to permit some guns, but not others, to remain in their owner’s hands (but never be transferred or used). And it is possible that the government will dither further and extend the deadline as a result.

Reading through the history of the order, it seems clear that the Canadian government has acted first and thought later. It is one thing to announce emphatically that you intend to ban the most-commonly owned rifles in the country. But it is quite another to actually do it. Per official estimates, Canada’s government is prepared to spend up to a billion dollars in pursuit of the guns it says “exceed … any safe civilian use.” And so, to quote Winston Churchill, “they go on in strange paradox, decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all powerful for impotency.”

In the meantime, Canada’s law-abiding gun owners are being deprived of their rights with no sign of relief on the horizon and no idea if they are about to be turned into criminals.

“Why does America have the Second Amendment?” foreigners often ask me. This, right here, is why.
    Okay Little Billy, Mr cut and paste.
    Why do you never post a source with your cut and paste jobs? Are you ashamed of where you are accessing your information?
    Is it because you like to create an entire scenario and then do your best to pass it off as fact so you and your school yard buddies can high five each other and give each other likes and rep boost?
    You can't deal with the fact that you live in a state that is a "taker" that you hate so much so you lash out like a spoiled child.
    Anyway, don't stop, it adds incredible enjoyment to the time I spend on this forum. Thanks

Okay Little Billy, Mr cut and paste.
    Why do you never post a source with your cut and paste jobs? Are you ashamed of where you are accessing your information?
    Is it because you like to create an entire scenario and then do your best to pass it off as fact so you and your school yard buddies can high five each other and give each other likes and rep boost?
    You can't deal with the fact that you live in a state that is a "taker" that you hate so much so you lash out like a spoiled child.
    Anyway, don't stop, it adds incredible enjoyment to the time I spend on this forum. Thanks

Now we're talking. That's more like it. You're upset. And rightfully so. You healthcare system is failing. Trudeau is using the full force of the federal governent to confiscate guns. We both know that he seized the bank accounts of peaceful protestors.

We have to wonder when Trudeau will enact his "one child" policy to fight climate change.

Enjoy your country. Cheers.