Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BluSound Node

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    BluSound Node

BluSound Node

I don't know where to start.

Okay, I'm installing Alexa throughout my home. Like most everyone, I have a ton of electronics and some are fantastic but I don't use them because it's too much trouble. That's where Alexa comes in. I will be able to control most everything by voice command. Including lights, outlets, TV's, stereo. You get the idea.

Alexa SmartHome is suprisingly affordable but I ran into one snag. And that was my Yamaha AV receiver. This was the flagship model a few years ago and it was expensive. It's awesome. The only issue is that it doesn't play nice with Alexa. I searched for comparible new models and all cost 3-4k. Now, there's no way that I'd pay that kind of money simply to control my AV receiver with Alexa. But there's more....

Times are changing and streaming services have come a long ways. I can stream on my current Yamaha but there's a lot of lag and it's just not very good software.

I was all set to pull the trigger and spend what I had to spend but didn't want to do it. I don't want to do it. I searched every major brand of AV receiver looking for a model that didn't cost as much. But I just couldn't find anything that satisfied me.

I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times but I held off. And thank God that I did. I found something for $640 (with tax) that is simply amazing.

I'll post the video for now. It should arrive on Wednesday and I'll give a review once I've used it.

Video:

Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 10-02-2022 at 04:02 AM.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

BluSound Node

Re: BluSound Node

I guess that I should mention that the BluSound Node integrates with my Yamaha AV recever and it is Alexa compatble.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    BluSound Node

Right now I couldn't stream anything even if I wanted to. Spectrum current has a major outage here in the Bakersfield area. No internet, no VOIP phone service and no TV channels. I am having to burn mobile data just to be able to do anything, but it is to slow for streaming because right now everyone is doing the same.

Rant over.

BluSound Node

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Right now I couldn't stream anything even if I wanted to. Spectrum current has a major outage here in the Bakersfield area. No internet, no VOIP phone service and no TV channels. I am having to burn mobile data just to be able to do anything, but it is to slow for streaming because right now everyone is doing the same.

Rant over.

That sucks. Hopefully, they get it fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

Rant over.
    Do you have any kind of line of site microwave transmission in your area? Smaller private internet providers have good backup services. There is a whole private microwave network in ZA backed up with simple ROS data communication for when SHTF.
    Whatever

BluSound Node

On my Yamaha AV receiver I listen to a lot of internet radio and can tune to stations all over the world. I can sort by location or genre or any number of options. And I can do this from an app on my phone. The app also lets me control the volume, treble, bass, and other settings on my Yamaha AV receiver. Using the app, I can also play musis that is stored on a NAS. This is all good but when I want to change channels, there's a lag and I want to be able to walk in the room and use a voice command to control my music.

The BluSound Node will plug into my Yamaha AV unit via RCA or coaxial cable. If I use the RCA cables the DAC (digital-to-analog) converter on the BluSound will be used. If I use the coaxial cable, the DAC on my Yamaha unit will be used. The Yamaha AV receiver is what I want to use for DAC because it's just top of the line in audio receivers, so I'll go with coaxial.

The BluSound Node also is compatible with more streaming services and the software is the best on the market from my research.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    BluSound Node

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That sucks. Hopefully, they get it fixed soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Do you have any kind of line of site microwave transmission in your area? Smaller private internet providers have good backup services. There is a whole private microwave network in ZA backed up with simple ROS data communication for when SHTF.
    It came back up in my neighborhood about half hour later. First the TV, then the internet and finally the VOIP phone. From what I have seen on Facebook, some parts of Kern County had gone down as much as 2 hours before I did.

BluSound Node

I just finished installing a bunch of smartswitches, outlets and my Alexa Echo Dot (4th gen.).

I must say that the installion and pairing of the devices was a piece of cake. Much easier than I was expecting. I can now control my TV with my voice. I can change channels by voice. And I'm using HULU and it works great. Ditto for almost every device in the room. And there's a lot of devices to control. I can't believe that I didn't do this sooner. No more remotes or apps to control devices.

The only thing left is my AV receiver. My BluSound Node arrives tomorrow.

BluSound Node

Today I stopped by an audio outlet. I wanted to check out the SVS pb16-ultra subwoofer. We're talking home audio, not car. I've seen some great subs in my time but these are scary good.

These are 16" subs and SVS make the best subwoofer on the planet, IMO. These bad boys weigh in at 175lbs. They're huge. These are powered subs that put out 2500 watts RMS and 5000 watts peak.

They move a LOT of air. When I cranked it up and the bass hit, I thought I was having a heart attack. I shit you not, they are scary. This is the most powerful consumer sub ever built. Cost? $2899.00 each.

I want one bad.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    BluSound Node

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Today I stopped by an audio outlet. I wanted to check out the SVS pb16-ultra subwoofer. We're talking home audio, not car. I've seen some great subs in my time but these are scary good.

These are 16" subs and SVS make the best subwoofer on the planet, IMO. These bad boys weigh in at 175lbs. They're huge. These are powered subs that put out 2500 watts RMS and 5000 watts peak.

They move a LOT of air. When I cranked it up and the bass hit, I thought I was having a heart attack. I shit you not, they are scary. This is the most powerful consumer sub ever built. Cost? $2899.00 each.

I want one bad.
    I wonder how much the magnet on those weigh.