Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Re: What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    We were a warranty repair center for desktops of a certain brand. Had quite a few that would bring their copiers in for warranty repair that had the cheapest mail order cartridges they could find. Can not count the number of times I took the cheap one out put a spare OEM toner in and it worked fine. Put their toner back in and lousy copies. And of course more than half the time got the "well why can't you fix it to work with my toner". Had quite a few that claimed the warranty covered the aftermarket toners because the box said it was for XYZ copiers. Actually had a copy of the warranty that said "warranty void for use of non-OEM toners" and had to show a whole bunch of people that nice phrase. One got so irate and loud the secretary actually threatened to call the police to get rid of them.
    When I was doing Samsung warranty we discovered that Samsung buyers were notoriously cheap, and untruthful. Often the printer came in without any toner cartridge or paper tray or cord. I then created a checklist that required the customers signoff. Included toner?, Paper Tray?, Cord?, CD's?. A few customers had claimed that we'd stolen their paper tray or toner cartridge ... until they found it when they got home. Then we had to add a place for the Samsung Hotline ticket number. If the customer didn't make the call to confirm warranty, then I'd have to spend the 45minutes confirming warranty coverage. Then we had to throw on a $50 deposit to cover diagnosis for those customers who lied about calling, or lied about coverage, or lied about printing gloss inkjet paper even when it was still jammed in the machine.

In the end it just wasn't worth the hassle. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    When I was doing Samsung warranty we discovered that Samsung buyers were notoriously cheap, and untruthful. Often the printer came in without any toner cartridge or paper tray or cord. I then created a checklist that required the customers signoff. Included toner?, Paper Tray?, Cord?, CD's?. A few customers had claimed that we'd stolen their paper tray or toner cartridge ... until they found it when they got home. Then we had to add a place for the Samsung Hotline ticket number. If the customer didn't make the call to confirm warranty, then I'd have to spend the 45minutes confirming warranty coverage. Then we had to throw on a $50 deposit to cover diagnosis for those customers who lied about calling, or lied about coverage, or lied about printing gloss inkjet paper even when it was still jammed in the machine.

If I wasn't there the owner or the secretary had to sign the machines in. We did note on the paperwork if they did not bring the cord in or if the paper tray was not included. We all checked when the machine was put on the cart to roll it in if it had a toner. If it didn't the machine went right back into the car or truck with the explanation we do not provide free toner to work on their machine they had to bring it in before we looked at it. Get the phone call because of a supposed missing cord a few times and you start writing that stuff down.

We were also a dealer for three lines of portable typewriters and would provide warranty coverage only for the ones we sold. Of course our ad in the yellow pages listed us as a dealer for them. Lots of fun when the customer could go a few miles away from our shop and buy the same machine for 25 dollars less. The fun part was we got at least one customer a month asking why we charged the extra 25 dollars more than the big box store down the street. They never seemed to understand the other place did not have a trained service tech and did not provide or stock replacement parts. Then we would call the 800 number of the manufacturer of the machine and let them explain to the customer why we were not allowed to fix a machine under warranty that we did not sell. Got to the point we stopped selling two of the typewriters and concentrated on machines not available through big box stores or full fledged office typewriters.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I can't say it's the dumbest but it was pretty funny. I went to a job that was supposed to be "waste toner full", customer (engineer by the way) took the waste toner bottle out of the machine (sharp 2610) and shook it to try and alleviate the problem. Waste toner went everywhere including all over the machine and now the lsu glass is causing issues and the fuser is probably going to need rebuilt amongst any more fun crap I find inside the machine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Had quite a few that claimed the warranty covered the aftermarket toners because the box said it was for XYZ copiers. Actually had a copy of the warranty that said "warranty void for use of non-OEM toners" and had to show a whole bunch of people that nice phrase. One got so irate and loud the secretary actually threatened to call the police to get rid of them.
    yup that's why my pistol is in my holster in my waist band!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet2501 View Post
    I can't say it's the dumbest but it was pretty funny. I went to a job that was supposed to be "waste toner full", customer (engineer by the way) took the waste toner bottle out of the machine (sharp 2610) and shook it to try and alleviate the problem. Waste toner went everywhere including all over the machine and now the lsu glass is causing issues and the fuser is probably going to need rebuilt amongst any more fun crap I find inside the machine.
    as the old TV show phrase puts it " sock it to 'em! "

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I was sooooo glad when the boss decided to drop Samsucks.... they really were a POS and NOW besides Xerox , HP is using the engines... I HOPE they re-engineer the fusers at least!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet2501 View Post
    Never really had any that got that bad with spilling the waste toner. But there were a few environmentalist types that insisted they could pout all that perfectly good toner back into an empty supply bottle and reuse it. That stuff could really mess with the developer/toner mix. I don't remember but on one of the analog Mita machines there may have also been a bad developer toner mixture code it would throw.

well it's not a customer but, My company recycles toner carts for just about every model. During the pickup of empties some of our customers ( even tho they have been told not to ) put toner bottles and waste tanks from copiers into the recycle bins for us to pick up.
    So when they come back to the shop, we dispose of them in the dumpsters. Well some hoodlums from a trailer park behind us thru the woods, have decided it would be fun to retrieve them and empty them all over our parking lot and into the nearby woods.
    After a few time of having to clean up after them the boss got a camera and pointed it towards the dumpster. The boys were caught on video and the LEOs were called. They found the boys and went to their parents about it... one of the mothers had denied that her son was involved, but when the officer pointed out that " there is magenta toner set into the fabric of the shirt your son is wearing", she tried to blame my company for it.. until he showed the video of her son climbing outta the dumpster and flinging all around.
    They were then handed a bill for the cleanup of said toner!

Ya can't fix stupid!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    yup that's why my pistol is in my holster in my waist band!
    And I thought it was because you were pleased to see me!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    And I thought it was because you were pleased to see me!
    always