Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 246465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Re: What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Had a real similar problem a long time ago with a Canon pc6RE. Customer called and complained there were random dark streaks on the copies. I went three times and everything worked fine. Even though she saved the samples could not find anything wrong in the machine. Then one day I was fortunately two blocks away when the office got me on my cell phone and asked me to stop by there right away as fast as I could. I did and immediately made a copy and there was the black band. Funny though it was two inches closer to the edge of the page than the sample she showed me. I opened the copier took the drum unit out to see if there were any bits of debris in the main charge area . But as I was pulling the drum until out I noticed a bit of movement in the transfer corona assembly. Yeap there was a roach in the bottom of the assembly and there were a few more that escaped when I lifted the machine off of the table top. I used my hemostats to remove the stil living roach and put everything back together. the customer immediately called the building managed and demanded they send out the pest control people again.
    I found a mouse running around in a scanner assmy once.
    Randomly would produce ' a rat ' on the copy..
    Got there shoooo nuff little bugger was scurrying around inside still!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I found a mouse running around in a scanner assmy once.
    Randomly would produce ' a rat ' on the copy..
    Got there shoooo nuff little bugger was scurrying around inside still!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wasn't my call but one of the other techs went out on a call because of random black streaks. He got there and no problem. But he also heard something scratching under the base plate of thew scanner. He had to take the whole scanner apart to get to the problem. Seems there was a mouse under the base plate between the upper scanner lamps and the optics going to the drum. The mouse was injured and was able to move a little bit. More than likely it was moving or rolling into the path of the optics and causing the shadows/streaks in the image path under the base plate. It was an older analog copier with the base plate between the upper and lower optics sections.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Back in the early 90’s, a friend of mine was a television service tech. He worked on a lot of so-called “big screen” TVs, which were nothing more than a small TV built into a large box with a projector. Remember those?

He had a call for a black spot which would move fairly quickly from one side of the screen to the other, in a sweeping motion.

The problem? There was a spider inside the box, doing his best Tarzan imitation, happily swinging from branch to branch, casting a shadow while doing his thing.

We still chuckle about it when reminiscing today.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What is the dumbist customer comment/question you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Back in the early 90’s, a friend of mine was a television service tech. He worked on a lot of so-called “big screen” TVs, which were nothing more than a small TV built into a large box with a projector. Remember those?

He had a call for a black spot which would move fairly quickly from one side of the screen to the other, in a sweeping motion.

The problem? There was a spider inside the box, doing his best Tarzan imitation, happily swinging from branch to branch, casting a shadow while doing his thing.

We still chuckle about it when reminiscing today.

Had something similar with my "big screen" projector t.v. Except the spider in mine was not swinging back and forth on it's web. Instead, it was sprawled out on one of the lamps, and when I turned the T.V. on, there was this big Projection of A spider on the screen. Freaked me out! Lamps must've warmed up enough that he moved out of the way. I decided to disassemble and clean the lamps and such (it was time), and never did find that little bastard.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ignacio.cortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    A mac reservation is the best practice right now for sure. However the time savings from IT is minimal. I still consider best practice and most secure is to use static ips for all fixed equipment (copiers and desktops) and only allow dhcp for visiting laptops. In-company laptops connect using mac reservations for dhcp. One company I know of is printing through hostname. They just let copier dhcp. Of course all workers bitch that printing is slow. But what do you expect?

AND REMEMBER .......WSD is our friend, we charge $20 each to fix WSD ports through our helpdesk. Thank you Microsoft.
    The company I work at now, user PullPrint with Prox Cards (Secure printing (end user prints to a single pullprint queue then walks up to any mfp device and ligns in (taps the employee badge) selects the print job and releases it to the printer for immediate printing) back end needs a little work, but all and all its pretty straight forward

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Here in Germany there are small cities that are not very developed and the fax is already science fiction.

A small family company purchases a computer from us, necessary considering the digital age. The owner assured me that she had taken a course on PCs, so I didn't have to worry about explaining how it worked.

A few days later he calls me, accusing me of selling him a faulty keyboard. A led burned out after a few days of use.

I then discovered that he used the uppercase key.

Today was a quiet day until I received this call.

The customer calls my manager:
    - Customer: Since your technician has repaired the printer, my computer no longer works.
    - Responsible: But did my technician get the computer?
    - Client: No, but computers are connected to the network so something did.

Needless to try to understand what he meant. I go there and find out that the screen is off.

The customer justifies himself that he has never turned off the screen and does not understand how it could have happened.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

Can I insert this Bluetooth usb into my copier usb port and scan stuff to my computer into a folder? (On a copier that does not support bluetooth.)

A few days ago they tell me that the printer makes noise.

Upon arrival I find that it is the fault of the office heating system.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    A few days ago they tell me that the printer makes noise.

Upon arrival I find that it is the fault of the office heating system.

Once had a customer complaining that our machine was making him ill. It was only a month old and was placed in a "new" location. Turned out the old, yellowed fax machine that was still there and in use, was venting it's exhaust right onto the new devices delivery tray and up at his face. He never did figure out that the exhaust bothering him was happening as the old clunker's fan came on, could not miss that noise! He was a engineer as well, figures.