Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Home Theater/Audiophiles

Red face Re: Home Theater/Audiophiles

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    13Hz is getting into the infrasonic range. Prolonged exposure to low-frequency noise has been linked to symptoms like nausea, mood changes, and even a condition called vibroacoustic disease. Infrasonic Vibrations - Sound Therapy Education
    Also makes for great effects LOL

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Home Theater/Audiophiles

Re: Home Theater/Audiophiles

I know most won't have a need for the Plex Media Server but after having used it for several days, it's really cool and works flawlessly.

In a nutshell, what Plex does is combine their webserver with my local storage device.

When you place a movie on your hard drive, it automatically transfers to their webserver and pulls all the artwork an metadata for every movie, The webpage where you play your movies from looks similar to Netflix but you're playing the movie from the hard drive. Cool.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

Part of this hobby is learning what's out there and what works best for you. As I mentioned, I have my Plex Server up and running and it allows me to rip media in the form of MKV lossless audio and video. I thought I was all set uptil I came across the Magnetar UDP-900 4K UHD Bluray Player.

Before I go any further, I want to mention that if you're an Audiophile, nothing is cheap. You can go out and buy an average Bluray player for couple of hundred bucks. The Magnetar cost around $1,500. Is it worth it? I say yes.

First of all, a normal bluray player only supports a couple of formats. The Magnetar supports almost every format under the sun. You can also connect an external hard drive and rip you're movies to the bluray player and play them. The electronics are also far superior for audio and video.

This is the only bluray capable of doing all the things I've mentioned. I'm considering it. Here's a video:

Home Theater/Audiophiles

I was checking out what's new from Marantz. They have released their new flagship model: Marantz AV-10.

This is a 15.4 channel processor - 15 speakers and 4 subwoofers. The price? $7,000.00

So, you spend 7k and hook everything up and not a single sound will you hear. Why? Because it's a processor only, no amplification. You need a separate amp with 15 channels. Cost? Marantz Amp 10 = $7,000.00.

After spending 14k, you now need 15 speakers and 4 subs. I'd guess that when all is said and done, you'd be somewhere around 30-40K? It's getting ridiculous.

This isn't even considering that you need a dedicated room with acoustical treatment and the absurd amount of time dialing everything in.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

Continuing on with my journey to rip movies to a storage device that will play on my Plex Server....

I put this on hold until this morning. I needed an external bluray drive for my PC: I ordered the following:

ASUS Powerful Blu-ray Drive with 16x Writing Speed and USB 3.0 for Both Mac/PC Optical Drive BW-16D1X-U

I also needed to order a large storage device: I ordered the following:

Western Digital 20TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 drive for plug-and-play storage - Western DigitalBWLG0200HBK-NESN

Will arrive next week.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Home Theater/Audiophiles

I used to work with someone who would download stuff from Usenet if anyone wanted it. He left his computer at home switched on and had an app on his phone what would do the scanning and downloading to his pc automatically. I asked him for Miami Vice and ended up with about 100gb of files that he uploaded to my pc.

He then discovered he could share with Plex.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

This turned out to be a total mind fuck. To use the DVD ripping software -MAKEMKV- it requires flashing the firmware and due to the DVD being encrypted and most manufacturers have locked it down. The next problem is the Plex Media Server would skip when playing the movie.

After many days and hours, I had to pay for a DVD ripper that would rip UHD Atoms movies. It's called DVDFAB. I then switched to JellyFin. Works much better than Plex. All is complete. I love it. But what a royal pain in the fucking ass.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

I discovered something new. On my Jellfin Server, I can stream live TV to multiple devices via a HD antenna. This requires installing a HD tuner box. The one I ordered has 4 built in tuners, which means 4 different devices can watch live TV on separate channels and pause, fast-forward and record. This isn't cable TV. It's only for local channels in my area.

On a side note, the ripped DVD's are better quality than any streaming service. It doesn't get any better.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

I mentioned that the ripping software "MakeMKV" wouldn't work with my optical ASUS drive. Well, I'm never one to give up without a fight. I found a guy on the web and purchased ($25) a program that he wrote and it's now working. Yah for me.

Home Theater/Audiophiles

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I discovered something new. On my Jellfin Server, I can stream live TV to multiple devices via a HD antenna. This requires installing a HD tuner box. The one I ordered has 4 built in tuners, which means 4 different devices can watch live TV on separate channels and pause, fast-forward and record. This isn't cable TV. It's only for local channels in my area.

On a side note, the ripped DVD's are better quality than any streaming service. It doesn't get any better.

I installed and set up my HD Homerun Tuner. It works great. I can stream all my local channels via a HD Antenna to any device...including my phone. I have 2 things left to do.

- Integrate with my Jellyfin Server
    - Install an outside HD antenna instead of this POS inside antenna.