Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rep power

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar

Exclamation Rep power

Just what is the story with this? I've just seen a member with 20 posts and a rep 'value' of 5.Now before you start jumping down my throat about previous posts on this subject, all I can say is what a sack of shite this rating system is becoming. I look at this site on a daily basis during the working week and I see people with high rep values posting stupid or worthless, unproductive replies whilst on the other hand there are others who post informative and helpful comments on a regular basis with 200 plus posts and a rep of 2! I know I can post elswhere( I can hear you) but I CHOOSE not to. So come on, get a bit of reality into this. And please please stop people posting replies trying to sell us something, we know it's there if we wanna buy it, we don't need a sales pitch we need a solution to our problem.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Vista Tech's Avatar
    Amen. I've seen people on the Panasonic threads that do nothing but copy and paste my responses in order to fix a problem. So now I just tell them to log into the b2b site and get the solutions to problems there (if they claim to be a pana tech )

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aabarnes1 View Post
    Just what is the story with this? I've just seen a member with 20 posts and a rep 'value' of 5.Now before you start jumping down my throat about previous posts on this subject, all I can say is what a sack of shite this rating system is becoming. I look at this site on a daily basis during the working week and I see people with high rep values posting stupid or worthless, unproductive replies whilst on the other hand there are others who post informative and helpful comments on a regular basis with 200 plus posts and a rep of 2!
    "Rep power" is pretty much a popularity contest. Not only on this forum, but pretty much all forums that use reputation points. There is not much you can do other than give positive Rep points to the posts you think are helpful and negative Rep points to the ones you see as "worthless" and "unproductive" as well as the posts that are just plain rude or obnoxious.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Technician 250+ Posts
    I don't know how the rating system goes, but I think if someone feels you gave good advice then they give you a good rating. I have 7 rep power ratings, but really don't know how I got them. I really do not care as I try to give the best advice I can when I can. Good thing they can't take it back if someone catches you at the end of a really bad day! Otherwise, I would have a negative rating! Some of you may know what I mean! Just remember that you gave your best opinion and tried to help out a fellow tech. As far as selling me something? Good luck 'cause I don't make enough to afford it!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Go to your User CP - down at the bottom will show you where your last few points came from. I'm still not sure how it really works, because it shows I have 33 points total in there, but only 7 on my posts, and I just got 1 of those when I made my 500th post - that doesn't mean I know anything or I'm particularly helpful, just that I have a big mouth.
    73 DE W5SSJ

I see one member so many power rep, when i read all is port mostly on doing advertise and sale. one time i post a link and when i check my user cp this guy give me a negative rep. now i know why he give - rep. the link that i post is his competitor.hahahahahahaah
    DYNAMIC OFFICE SOLUTIONS

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Brave Hart's Avatar
    I don’t care much for this Rep power. I have had some damn good advice on this site from some guys, that’s all that matters to me.
    What? HuH?

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    I like to give props when I feel it's necessary.

I do think it's funny when someone has four posts and a rep power of eight or something.

If someone has a good/funny/productive post, I like to comment on it via their rep power.......no biggie.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+