Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What did you do before you were the copy guy or girl?

Re: What did you do before you were the copy guy or girl?

From 2004 to 2007 (high school years) I worked at Little Caesars Pizza and a Movie Theater in Sioux Falls, SD during the summer months, and Applebee's in Fremont, NE during the school months. Right out of high school (at 17 yrs old) I was emancipated, and moved myself back to Sioux Falls so I could work at my Dad's Friend's Roofing Company. Did that for 2 years (shitty, HOT work, but the pay was absolutely great). Then, on a visit back to my home town at the end of 2008, I ran into an old "high school fling" and we instantly took a liking to each other again. I'm not a "long distance relationship" type of guy, so I made the hasty decision of moving back to Nebraska (with the hope of landing another roofing job), but ended up taking an offer from my Uncle at the Savin Dealer/ Office supply and furniture store (making WAY less than roofing). Started as the delivery guy, worked my way up to furniture installs/ repair, and then became the install manager. 6 years of working with supplies and furniture. Then the day came 5 years ago that I was asked to join the service department. Been on easy street ever since. Oh, and that "high school fling" became my wife in 2011. Best decision I ever made was to move back to my hometown.

Also do lawn mowing and tree work on the side/ fix and sell motorcycles/ metal polishing (Dad's company)/ and handyman work.

Out of school started doing industrial maintenance for a Chinese bag manufacturing company. Did not understood a word of each others languages just pointed a finger and tuned me "you fixa" and it got fixed.
    Absolutely awesome first job. After 3 years the 14 hour 7 days a week got to me. Learned to do 3 phase electrical, electronics, control systems, sewing and weaving machines, extruders and stereo 6 roller printing.
    Next best job was a batch manufacturing job, got the hang of CAD, CAM and CNC machining.

Found that it was easy to get copier tech jobs and used it to vagabond along...
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts driving lots of miles's Avatar

I worked in the Grocery Business since High School and then into the Deli Bakery business of the grocery stores and then oversaw 7 bakery delis in a group of stores for over thirty years. Did a lot of repair work on all the different machines and then had issues with the brother of the owner who was over me and I needed to leave. I went to work for the local sharp dealer 5 years ago and am happy to fix things and with no long evenings, no weekends and all holidays off.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I was a Labor and Delivery nurse.. Big change.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JParker View Post
    I was a Labor and Delivery nurse.. Big change.
    Bet you are good at digging out misfed papers then.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by driving lots of miles View Post
    I worked in the Grocery Business since High School and then into the Deli Bakery business of the grocery stores and then oversaw 7 bakery delis in a group of stores for over thirty years. Did a lot of repair work on all the different machines and then had issues with the brother of the owner who was over me and I needed to leave. I went to work for the local sharp dealer 5 years ago and am happy to fix things and with no long evenings, no weekends and all holidays off.
    I'm in Kansas, too! Lifelong resident.

Out of high school in 1984, went to PHAC school and was the top sheet metal builder. Tried to find a job in sheet metal in my preferred town with no luck after many months. Went to work at K-Mart while putting myself through 2 years of electronics school. Got my current job in the fall of 1988 and I'm still doing it, working on Konica Minolta, but first Minolta until the merger.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Before doing this I was a school girl
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Before doing this I was a school girl

Weren't we all?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Factory out of high school, to unemployment in the 80's recession, to welfare, school, getting hired in a Minolta/Sharp dealer in 85, to going self employed in 88, and life has not better, would not trade for anything. Business has been good for my whole family, always able to help the kin out needed. Awesome life and lively hood. Love America, anybody can make something out of nothing, and live comfortably. God Bless America!