3 6.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 7

Windows 7

Who among you likes Windows 7 ?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Once you get a handle on it, it's no too bad.

I guess we have pretty much no choice. After all, it's what our customers are running.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    The best OS Microsoft has put out so far...
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    I agree with Jules, the best so far. I was impressed with startup repair tool. I was using my laptop with win7 to edit an exported registry from XP pro. Was click happy and merged it with the win7 by accident (really, it's like my hand was possessed and clicked "ok"). Computer locked up, I said a few bad words, and I rebooted. It went into this repair mode and about 15 minutes later, to my surprise, came to the login screen. Been working fine ever since. My only complaint was all the crapware that came preinstalled, but win7 I like.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by manuals4you View Post
    Who among you likes Windows 7 ?
    I haven't used it much; just recently upgraded to XP from 2K.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I'm not yet using it on a routine basis, but I did beta test it and used the release candidates and was pretty happy with it. I wouldn't bother with anything less than Ultimate, the other versions seem too deficient one way or another, especially Home and Starter (a la netbook preinstall). The whole versioning thing bothers me. It's an OS, I'll buy it and choose what to install or not to install, but don't make me choose a version that I may later decide is missing something I need or want and force me to upgrade. This is one of the reasons I use a Mac or PC's running Linux, except for an old box running Server 2003 (that I keep around just cause I can) and my employer's laptop.

Copier Ninja 100+ Posts KEVIN900's Avatar
    I run Windows Vista on my home lap-top, and really like it. For some strange reason, my company recently got all the techs brand new lap-tops, and downgraded the Windows 7 with XP. What up with that ?
    Kevin900

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KEVIN900 View Post
    I run Windows Vista on my home lap-top, and really like it. For some strange reason, my company recently got all the techs brand new lap-tops, and downgraded the Windows 7 with XP. What up with that ?
    The IT department is likely comfortable with managing a fleet of XP machines and don't want to learn the intracacies of the new OS. There may be legacy applications that you use that are known not to work on Windows7. Our organization didn't deploy Vista at all, but new machines are being deployed with 7.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I've argued with my IT department for well over a year now that I have to have Windows 7 on my notebook to be able to effectively troubleshoot in the field.

I have already proven to them that there isn't a single application that I run that won't run on Windows 7.

I've been told that it will be at least another year or so until I can get upgraded. Sheesh!

While "Corporate America" may still be on XP (and that is rapidly changing), our bigger challenge is when we become the psuedo IT department for the Mom and Pop customers.They buy their PCs online and in department stores, and get no choice but to have Windoze 7.

It's really difficult to have a working knowledge of something that you don't see on a near daily basis.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Confused & Bewildered 250+ Posts sdrawkcab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I've argued with my IT department for well over a year now that I have to have Windows 7 on my notebook to be able to effectively troubleshoot in the field.
    Had the same problem, they gave in eventually.

I like Windows 7, best one after XP.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints