Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4080818283848586878889909192 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Which copier was the biggest piece of crap ever?

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    As a minolta guy way way back they had a lot of TURDS..ep510,ep710 and then the ones where the power supplies would go all the time"not the 450z which i learned to repair the next series..
    I did like the 450z and the ep310,solid.........It was like nite and day when i switched to sharp boxes and the boards hardly failed and the same on ricohs afterwards...........
    Ahh yes, the old cadmium drums,, I carried glass wax in my tool kit for years, and then there was the 350Z,,, sold hundreds of them,,, a turd as well but made lots of money on them..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Which copier was the biggest piece of crap ever?

Kramer, Seinfeld "The Rollers, they get flat spots on 'em"

Yarn | The rollers, they get flat spots on them. ~ Seinfeld (1993) - S08E03 The Bizarro Jerry | Video clips by quotes, clip | 9b4ce72f-ff32-4624-8ce8-d70dc7693b4a | 紗

Quote Originally Posted by jarwil View Post
    have to agree there.

also the irc3100 for cleaning blade and drum issues. but after a while you get good practice at pulling the machines apart. now can basically do it with my eyes closed

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the reply!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I discovered this thread and have been reading through it from the first post.

Definitely interesting and amusing reading.

Don Resor

Quote Originally Posted by Tech2002 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Here is a list of the whole series: 5016, 5018, 5021, 5028, 5034, 5126, 5321, 5328, 5334, 5624, 5626, 5818, 5820, 5824, 5826, 5828, 5830, XC-1875, XC2675

Silicone lube pooled under the fuser, what a mess. Plastics incredibly brittle, screws strip out of the plastic. The Photo-receptor cartridge "slide in" frame was all plastic would fall apart from overheating as the forward edge was so close to the fuser, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    Same here. I started out on the 5028/5034 series. Xerox somehow got the idea in their heads that these things were real workhorses, but they were just complete shit. If the doc feeder hinges crack the plastic feeder frame on a regular basis, perhaps the designers haven't thought things out properly. After the 17th mandatory retrofit, shouldn't it have clicked that there's a fundamental problem here?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Which WAS THE FIRST COPIER MADE IN THE WORLD AND BY WHICH COMPANY

I actually think the CopyFlo-11 was the first commercial machine in 1954. The 914 was introduced in 1959.

Copyflo-11-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    In 1938 Chester Carlson invented the photocopier, the first commercially available photocopier was the Xerox 914

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

The Kyocera C2630D and its printer sibling 8026 was a piece of crap too. We had to buy 3 of them back. We're finally selling Kyocera color again after all these years. The C2630D was a Frankenstein machine with a scanner bed held up by a frame with basically the 8026 printer underneath it. On top of terrible color, it was a 26 ppm machine that would run about 8 ppm when duplexing. It was a horrible machine at so many levels. Kyocera has certainly come a long way with their color machines. Their black and white stuff has always been good in my opinion.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    On the other hand, this reminds me of one of the 3M microfilm machines. There was an infrared rotary microfiche duplicator that normally worked pretty well, but occasionally a fiche would get caught in the process and melt. Common problem description for that in the service call report: "fiche fry".
    I remember TRW in El Segundo had the 3M machines for printing CAD drawings from Microfilm mounted on cards the size of IBM computer cards. The prints were Newspaper size. There was also a Xerox machine which printed from a rectangular sheet of microfilm. The Xerox system which basically looked like a modified 2400 seems to move from frame to frame very quickly as it cranked out the prints.

Seems these machines produced a lot of toner soot too. One of the operator's mentioned that you'd go into the bath room use a wet paper towel and the black would be seen on it from wiping your face.

I remember that if my sinuses were acting up, the toner dust was heavy enough in the air that when you walked through it was seemed difficult to breath.

This was the early 1980s.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Nashua Photocopier - Television Advertisment

YouTube

The name is Nashua .... Nashua 1220. The Number One Copier for good reasons

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Ha... Yeah every one would attempt parody Orson Welles deep low vocals <add bass tone> "No1 in plain paper copiers".

I remember wrecking a few sets of good cloths working on Nashua liquid machines. I was happy when the last one was removed from the field.

Long time ago..., how time fly's....

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Apparently one person can assemble it with the help of a crane.....

Assembling Of MFP E77650 By One Person!!!

YouTube

At 19:56 the tech is fanning and bending the ream of paper, why? This procedure went out in the late 1970s, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Can you expand on your discontent with the 77650? I have a new Toshiba A3 laser MFP quote to replace a very old Kyocera but the IT Administrator/ Decision maker is a HP fan and does not want to believe me that he is making a bad choice. In this case, a finisher is not required.
    Last edited by monarke4; 06-27-2020 at 08:45 AM.