Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HIT AND RUN service calls

Re: HIT AND RUN service calls

I use it for developer, but I empty it many times before I replace it.
    Just remember all developer units are not the same. The first PM in the field I did, I blew a dev. unit doing that. I had been trained on Ricoh's which were more forgiving in that department and my first field machine was a Toshiba. Boss was none too happy. Told me to RFM and I've been doing that ever since.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by habik View Post
    Fully Agree.

..and I don't care I am sticking to my do it once and proper.. carry for call out as much stock as I need in case I really need it. Had the incident when a lot of machines went out and my boss was helping me and there and then it happened, for him to find out actually what a how it is done. Now he knows 100% that hit and run and do it proper is a hell of a difference. One downside to this kind of work is YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN FIX THINGS...as you have few RTF's in a year not a month or a week..and the lazy c.nts get still away with it.

so in my particular case I have 3 options:

1, Take over my managers positions and change structure of work and as FORD used to do it. bottom 10% gets fired...so if you do 100 calls and 10 are RTF..you are shit.

2, Beat the c.ap out of the one who was 3 times there before you and still did not bother to have a proper look and do a proper fix.

3, Start my own company, be my own boss and if I hire someone then the above would be applied at all times.

..and I can tell you it took me a year to get my college's to bring back to base at least status jam/service prints so whoever comes back from call at least next person has a chance to get on track without RTF.

But I still Love it. Feel superior ...sometimes

Please tell me RTF doesn't mean "return to finish" as in need to bring or order a part.

Hopefully it means a "call-back"

In my company Return to Finish (Return to Complete) are frowned upon, but 10% isn't outrageous either.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    Please tell me RTF doesn't mean "return to finish" as in need to bring or order a part.

Hopefully it means a "call-back"

In my company Return to Finish (Return to Complete) are frowned upon, but 10% isn't outrageous either.

RTF = Return To Fit,Finish,

Yes ..it maybe seems harsh to go above or 10% BUT how else would you find proper discipline or order of work..

I say we live in age of great communication, before you go you prepare yourself. If however you get the call on a go then I would not count it as RTF but as "just" a first visit where you see the actual problem. When you return to it with a needed part and it works , then its all good. If however you comeback again to the same problem then it is RTF. and it counts.

I been told that if I were the manager then everyone would be f*ckd ..as obviously I work hard and expect from others to work hard too. ....but hey what the heck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I agree BEI can be a useful tool. But I would like a valid explanation how a good completed total call can be tagged as a callback when the customer broke the staple cartridge or the HDD failed within the callback parameters or the customer loaded crap and bent paper ???????

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

On higher volume machines it's not uncommon to find 300K to 500K happen in a week, sometimes less. If it's not the same issue, I don't give it a second thought. There's absolutely nothing you can do about the issue that hasn't happened yet. My crystal ball hasn't been working lately. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    On higher volume machines it's not uncommon to find 300K to 500K happen in a week, sometimes less. If it's not the same issue, I don't give it a second thought. There's absolutely nothing you can do about the issue that hasn't happened yet. My crystal ball hasn't been working lately. =^..^=
    Even more fun were the ones that would put a complete service cycle on desktops in less than two weeks. For example the Canon PC6re. Nice desktop with a cartridge based toner/drum system. Toner cartridges were good for an average of 3500 copies. One trucking outfit had two of them and was using three toners per machine per month. That amount of toner use was considered a yearly amount not a monthly usage. I figured a easy way to get an approximate copy count by putting a case of paper next to each machine and had them keep track of when they had to go get another case. Yeap they used the case of paper within ten days, or 1000 copies average each month per machine. And of course the fusers had to be rebuilt every month and feed and pick up rollers replaced at the same time. Of course they always complained how bad the machines were because of the high number of service calls and the high repair costs because the machines could not be put under service contract. Yes these little wonders did not have any copy counter so we could not do any service contracts because we had no way to tell how much they were being used. Had about a hundred of them we supplied toners and service work on and they were a good little machine when used as their recommended rate. They eventually replaced the two canons with two larger Sharp 30 cpm machines which were along the lines of the type of Mita/Copystar we advised them to buy to begin with. And wonder of wonders the larger machines actually cost less overall for the volume they were using the Canon machine at.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Agreed Blackcat . However, I find these on my callback report every week in BEI. Last week there were 6 callbacks on my BEI report. I researched each one and found only 2 were real and predictable. The other 4 were things like : customer broke staple cartridge...toner cartridge stuck...Surely these can be adjusted in BEI parameters. I'm going to start a a thread on BEI. Managers, please input.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

I will have no knowledge of my call back rate unless they give me a breakdown of my numbers for last year. I am currently the HP guy for a third party contractor. Almost every call is 2 visits. Instead of giving us stock, they will send me to verify a machine with a fuser code needs a fuser. I have tried to call them and get maintence kits sent for machines displaying the message, but they insist I visit the machine. easy call. The IT staff where I do this at refuse to load firmware or install kits. Makes my numbers good at the end of the year.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking