Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Gun Control

Well Paul I don't think a mortgage has anything to do with this subject?? How about a 1000 manuals = a 1000 guns. I like that better. Don't you. ? LMAO.

And Man shadow. I like you Cannuks a lot all of a sudden. Good points buddy. And Shadow1.

All I point to in this debate is Rhawanda. In the 90's there were HALF A MILLION PEOPLE KILLED. Not with guns but spears, knives, clubs, etc. Roaming bands of monsters killing . Little boys, girls, old people. WHY.

The police sure didn't help. The government sure didn't help.

Don't take away the right to defend yourself. After the Rodney King verdit they were having riots in L.A. . The people up on the roofs with guns were able to save there property.

We can go on and on. Google Penn and Teller. They have good info about the 2nd admendment.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

Not that I am an expert by any means but in Canada, to own a firearm.

1). You have to take a federal long gun fire arms course. Approx $100.00 and six weeks after the course to get your certificate.
    2). You take your certificate to a fire arms retailer, select your gun and pay for it. The retailer then sends in your certificate for a back ground check and wait another couple of weeks. If you have any history of violence, your application is denied and your money refunded.
    3). If your application is approved, you have to apply for a permit to transport your new firearm to a designated location.
    4). Once you get that transport permit, you need to show proof that the firearm will be stored in a locked safe, with a trigger lock and unloaded in a locked room. Local police have the right to spot check your home to make sure the firearm is stored properly or risk forfeiture.
    5). If you want to transport that firearm to a different location, you need another travel permit and keep the firearm in a trigger lock and unloaded condition.
    6). Should you want a handgun, you must first have a long gun license. You need to apply for a new different license and pass a different training course. Chances are good in Canada, if you are not a police officer, federal gov't officer or active military person, your application will be denied.
    7). Should you want a AR15 style assault weapon in Canada, there is yet another special license procedure to apply for. For 99.9% of the population your chances are zero, you will never receive a permit.

I could be wrong on several details but you get the idea. Criminals seem to be able to access guns illegally but for the average person it takes time, effort, patience and money to acquire a firearm in Canada. In Canada, there is no such thing as gun shows and no such thing as legal private sales of guns without gov't notice.

I am happy with the gun laws in Canada. I have no intention of owning a firearm but would not deny other Canadians the right to buy one.

Technician 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

1). You have to take a federal long gun fire arms course. Approx $100.00 and six weeks after the course to get your certificate.
    2). You take your certificate to a fire arms retailer, select your gun and pay for it. The retailer then sends in your certificate for a back ground check and wait another couple of weeks. If you have any history of violence, your application is denied and your money refunded.
    3). If your application is approved, you have to apply for a permit to transport your new firearm to a designated location.
    4). Once you get that transport permit, you need to show proof that the firearm will be stored in a locked safe, with a trigger lock and unloaded in a locked room. Local police have the right to spot check your home to make sure the firearm is stored properly or risk forfeiture.
    5). If you want to transport that firearm to a different location, you need another travel permit and keep the firearm in a trigger lock and unloaded condition.
    6). Should you want a handgun, you must first have a long gun license. You need to apply for a new different license and pass a different training course. Chances are good in Canada, if you are not a police officer, federal gov't officer or active military person, your application will be denied.
    7). Should you want a AR15 style assault weapon in Canada, there is yet another special license procedure to apply for. For 99.9% of the population your chances are zero, you will never receive a permit.

I could be wrong on several details but you get the idea. Criminals seem to be able to access guns illegally but for the average person it takes time, effort, patience and money to acquire a firearm in Canada. In Canada, there is no such thing as gun shows and no such thing as legal private sales of guns without gov't notice.

I am happy with the gun laws in Canada. I have no intention of owning a firearm but would not deny other Canadians the right to buy one.

WOW

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

SNIP

...and if some deranged lunatic begins stalking your wife just tell him to please wait 6 months until you permits come through.

The criminal sure won't have any problem getting a gun.

You outlanders keep hearing about all the gun violence in America, but we don't have any more violence than anywhere else, it's just being sensationalized by our leftward leaning media - which is part of the problem. Of the millions of guns in the US only an extremely small percentage are in the hands of criminals who are causing all the problems - any randomly selected gun is likely never to be fired at a live target (hunting weapons excepted) or if it is, it will be used once defending life and limb. Sorry, but crime has only gone up in America because all these liberal ideas and moral relativism, and it's my responsibility to protect my family.

Notice to criminals: I'm usually a nice guy and pretty easy to get along with, but do not attempt to harm my family. I am armed, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger, I don't fire warning shots, and I don't ever point a gun at anything I'm not prepared to kill. I don't want to shoot anybody, and pray I never have to, but if it comes down to it... it's the criminal's choice to be shot or not.

Most gun deaths are the criminals because they didn't heed this warning - most murders are as a result of ANY other weapon including bare hands.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 250+ Posts just a tech's Avatar

I am a law abiding citizen and have had no issues at while owning any of my firearms.. So why should I be ridiculed or treated like an outlaw by my own government for owning or wanting to own firearms of any particular type.? It seems to me that our gov't, and I could care less if they are democrat or republican, always seems to try to use these horrific events that occur in our nation as a way to promote their ideas and provide some sort of reasoning for passing laws prohibiting people from owning firearms.. Do they not understand that the type of violence that occurs from time to time does not always involve guns..? Theoretically, someone could go to a school with nothing and grab a baseball bat from the gym and inflict serious and fatal damage to people within the school's confines..

I'm just saying that guns are not blame for problems.. The very same day of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, a chinese guy went through an elementary school in China with a knife stabbing 22 children.. China School Stabbing | Same Day As Sandy Hook Shooting 12/14/12 - Related Indian Videos, Bollywood Videos - uservideos.smashits.com .. So, you see.. The problem is with security and addressing problems BEFORE they happen.. I wonder if that would have happened here in the U.S., would they be wanting to ban knives as well..? No, they wouldn't.

The problem is that criminals & potentially mental nut-jobs do not care about laws and policies.. Therefore they will not obey them.. Making it harder for people to own a gun is NOT the answer.. Why not have the schools implement a security officer.? Here, in the city I live in, the police dept. has an officer stationed at the high school at all times.. It is not because it is a bad school.. Hell, they don't even have metal detectors or anything.. It's just what the city has done for the past several years to help ensure the safety of the school.. Just seems to me that the gov't is focusing on the wrong things and just using current events to fuel their agenda..

To me, banning types of guns due to public shootings is like trying to ban No.2 pencils due to mispelled words !!

Just a Tech..

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

SalesServiceGuy, you are so off base its not funny.

I hold both my restricted (handgun) and non-restricted (long gun) licenses.
    Yest we have to do a safety course before we are able to apply for the licenses.
    After you have made an application for these is when the " background check" is done.
    Your name is run through several different federal and provincial data bases, after these are done and everything checks out ok they make a decision.
    The decision is not made lightly, as they scrutinize your background heavily.
    Once you have your licenses then you are able to purchase your firearms.
    When you purchase a long gun you must show that you have the proper license for that firearm.
    When you purchase a handgun, you need to have your restricted license and a special permit to transport it home and then another permit so that you can take it to the range.
    When you want to purchase ammunition for your firearms you must show your license or you are refused.
    When it comes to storing said firearms they must be in secured, locked, approved gun safes.
    Firearms and ammunition are stored separately or you lose your licenses and firearms should the police decide to spot check your storage methods.

We do have gun shows and legal private sales of firearms. Long guns can be sold and transported the same day.
    Restricted firearms (handguns) have to be legally transferred and registered to the new owner, this can take up to two weeks.
    In order to take your hand gun to an approved range, you must hold a current valid membership to a gun club.
    All firearms being transported must be secured and unloaded.
    All of my handguns are trigger locked, case locked and secured in one of my gun safes.
    All of my long guns are trigger locked and secured in any one of my gun safes.
    All ammunition is stored in a separate designated safe.

All of these precautions are mandated by the firearms storage laws that we have here.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Gun Control

... but not that far off base, as your own commentary acknowledges. I never claimed to be an expert on Canadian gun laws. The Canadian model is still way better, far safer and better regulated than the USA! Although illegal US guns are making their way into Canada every day in increasing numbers.

Regardless of the arguments for and against gun laws in the USA, 300 million guns for 300 million citizens is just nuts! The USA consistently leads the world by a wide margin in firearms murders with approx 15,000 per year. I would not want to live there.

Is this the future of the USA?

Man walks into JC Penney with an AR15 on his shoulder and a loaded handgun on his hip?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23769604

Hypothetically, could a copier technician walk into any USA business with a concealed hand gun permit in those states that permit it?

Are people in the USA allowed to carry concealed weapons into any business establishment they wish? Does the owner of that business have the right to deny access to their premises a person with a concealed handgun?

Gun Control

...and Obama and Eric Holder are giving "assault weapons" to the Mexican drug cartels, which has already resulted in the deaths of US citizens. At least it's not your own government putting weapons in the hands of the bad guys.

Tell me, Shadow - should someone break into your home and threaten you family how long will it take you to retrieve your firearm, ammo, load, and discharge your weapon? Or do you intend to club them in the head with it and throw the bullets at them by hand? Must have one heck of a pitching arm. Not trying to poke fun at you, just saying there's not really much point in having a firearm designed for self defense if there's not much chance of being able to defend yourself with it.

... and CCW permits generally allow you to carry in any location not specifically banned (like banks) Shop owners can request no carry on their property, but most don't. Some actually encourage it - MANY cases of attempted robbery stopped by a good guy with CCW.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    When you want to purchase ammunition for your firearms you must show your license or you are refused.
    When it comes to storing said firearms they must be in secured, locked, approved gun safes.
    Firearms and ammunition are stored separately or you lose your licenses and firearms should the police decide to spot check your storage methods.
    wow, you got to be kidding. so...police enter your house and "spot check" your property?

and why the hell would you have to separate your guns and ammo in your house?!

I'm not being felicitous. why?

obviously if there is a burglary or home invasion you might as well point your penis and piss at them because a loaded gun is 10 minutes out of reach.

Gun Control

In Canada, if you want to own a firearm, federal laws permit police officers to spot check your house for safe storage and potential forfeiture.

In Canada, if you were to shoot a person who was entering your home with malice, you are guilty of a serious Federal crime.

In the USA, if two people are in a bar and they are drinking and one or both persons have concealed handguns and they begin to strongly argue does this not raise the possibility of hand gun violence 1000%?

On the theory that concealed hand guns prevent crime, what happens if a person trying to prevent a crime shoots an innocent bystander by mistake?