Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RTFM

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RTFM

Re: RTFM

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I think my posts speak for themselves. If the poster shows a lack of basic manual reading, he's got some reading to do before I'll answer. A profession service technician can be expected to buy/read his own manuals before asking for help. I can't stand a lazy tech.

I agree 110% =^..^=
    I agree, a professional spends their time to learn the profession.
    A rookie or a DIODE uses others to make their paycheck. (A DIODE is a small component that only works one way.)
    A rookie, I will guide where to find and use the info.
    A seasoned tech is just being lazy, illiterate or just trying to f*$K your numbers. ( Depending on independent or dealer tech.)

With today's technology, information is a couple of clicks away. (GOOGLE)
    This site is the best for common repairs from literate techs looking for the odd crap.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

RTFM

Manuals for troubleshooting? Mostly a waste of time.

I use them for disassembly guides and pinouts only (and rarely)

The manual says "jam code xxxx relevant parts sensor, clutch, main board"

duuhh

With Konica's I am on knowledge base 5 times a week, that's where the real answers are.

Here at CTN too, most good techs only get stumped after doing all the basics and that's all the manual is the basics.

RTFM

It's called Google-Fu, but unless you've memorized every part number in the IPB and all the P-to-P pinouts you still need a manual.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

When I was at the old place, used to get calls like that on Sharp stuff, one of the few, that was mostly sharp trained, did not happen much, but it did happen from a couple of techs more often then others, now that I am at a different dealer, and just Toshiba, I find myself hitting the service books a bit more, more and different codes, and if needed how to take it apart, on some of the newer stuff, but I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, Motorla Razar M, love it, was able to install Adobe reader on it, and 3 of the most used handbooks on there, there is service manuals and service handbooks, the handbooks are wherre the codes and trouble shooting stuff is, its great for looking up a code real quick, and is faster then the netbook boot up too, and since there is just 2 of us, I dont realy have the luxury of calling my fellow tech nor he me, now if we hit a brick wall with a strange one, we will give a ring to the other, just to brain storm...they call them smart phones, naw, just how you use them.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    RTFM

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post

I use them for disassembly guides and pinouts only (and rarely) ...
    I'm certainly glad that you have a better memory than me, an I suspect a much smaller population of machines. When you're dealing with 14 manufacturers and 247 unique models, I seriously doubt that you could retrieve jam codes, trouble codes, component locations, part numbers, all the various simulations and adjustments all from memory. OK Konica Minolta, what about the others? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    RTFM

Re: RTFM-Excuses?

So what excuses have you heard for not looking it up the information one's self?

-I don't have that manual. (so get one.)
    - ... but you already know the answer ...
    -It's out in the car (also fill as needed: in the house, in the shop, eaten by the dog, etc.).
    -It's more efficient if you just tell me (more efficient for you maybe ... who's going to do my calls while I'm doing yours?)
    -but it's in your database ... (I've incorporated thousands of records from other techs/other sources)
    -I don't have the time. ( ... and I do?)

I'll make the time for someone making a reasonable attempt.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

RTFM

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866:343757
    Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post

I use them for disassembly guides and pinouts only (and rarely) ...
    I'm certainly glad that you have a better memory than me, an I suspect a much smaller population of machines. When you're dealing with 14 manufacturers and 247 unique models, I seriously doubt that you could retrieve jam codes, trouble codes, component locations, part numbers, all the various simulations and adjustments all from memory. OK Konica Minolta, what about the others? =^..^=
    only three manufacturers. jam codes are almost always spelled out in the maintenance mode. as well as service codes.

as far as part numbers go, sure i need a manual my post was "for troubleshooting..."

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    RTFM

Only exception I've made in recent memory in helping someone who didn't read the manual, was becaue their company car with all their shit in it was stolen. So I helped him until the company issued him a new laptop and manuals.

Other area I won't help either is tools. I NEVER let anyone borrow so much as a screwdriver. Besides document imaging equipment, I work on small to very large scale mailroom equipment. The range of hand tools we have to have is rather large......Needless to say, I'm envious of you guys and gals that can get by with just a #2 phillips and 5.5mm nutdriver and small bag to carry it in. LOL.

I've hung a few techs out to dry by not letting them borrow a tool or use me as their manual. It's the only way some will learn. Most do learn, and spend their own money to earn their paycheck.