Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Paper?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Re: Bad Paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Kind of depends on the grain of the paper and the observed curl after it comes out of the fuser.
    As far as the paper drying cabinets are concerned, if you want to do that get a dead fridge and put a hundred watt bulb in it. You can also keep arc welding rods dry in that.

Problem is, there is no curl. Comes out as flat as any premium paper, but mine runs and his does not...in only one machine.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

maybe you need to look from a static angle (static brushes, earths , blocked airflow)

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    maybe you need to look from a static angle (static brushes, earths , blocked airflow)

That's what I am thinking, I believe I have tunnel vision and am stuck.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

copiertech 500+ Posts

Have you opened the front door and watched the paper to see what it is doing? Have you removed the drum claw assembly to check for toner in the solenoid, it will slow down the drum claws and allow paper to follow the drum into the cleaning section. Maybe one of the drum claws is out of position.
    Hope this helps.
    Darren

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I delivered a BRAND NEW machine to a customer. Copystar CS-2221. I put customers paper in the cassettes and it jammed about every 7 or 8 copies when I was doing the demo. The machine worked great in my office. It was their paper causing the problem. And it was not recycled. I exchange their paper and machine worked fine. Made the sale cause they were a long time customer. I could not see anything wrong with there paper. Nothing at all.

We've had this issue with 601/751 at schools with their cheap paper and the lovely east texas humidity...they never call for it jamming as you know how teachers have that "It's not my problem" mentality....they call when so much paper has crammed into the cleaning unit that it goes up around the drum and under the charge wire and they start getting black pages...such a mess...
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Went back today. Paper I left there Friday was now running just as poorly as theirs was. At least now I had consistency. I started from scratch, pulled the drum carriage, cleaned and checked everything from the ground up, set all my settings to match the one at the other end of the hall loaded it with fresh paper and it ran about 300 with no jam. And the paper is coming out curled on the corners, like it should when it is full of moisture. Thanks to all who responded.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

They must not have good heat/ac in the building...but I have a cheap quick solution...

All you need is a vacuum and about $11.

Assuming the paper is arriving in decent condition, they could put closed reams in something like a space saver bag and vacuum them down. You've probably seen them on infomercials where they put pillows, blankets, clothes, etc., in them.

Here's an example of one:

View Space BagŪ Cube Combo Pack, 3-Bags Deals at Big Lots

Then they could just put in enough paper in the machine for about a days worth. Or they could buy something to regulate the building which they should be doing anyway.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bad Paper?

Isn't there a de-humidify kit for the paper drawers?

These are usually flat high resistant resisters that sit under the paper drawers to help dehydrate paper.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Isn't there a de-humidify kit for the paper drawers?

These are usually flat high resistant resisters that sit under the paper drawers to help dehydrate paper.

I think the worst part of it was location. As mentioned in my first post, this machine is sitting in a wide hallway about 30 to 40 feet from double doors. The students will be in and out of those doors all day and it has rained every day for the past week. Machine has only been there about a year.

To give you some idea as to how bad it can be, one year at one machine it was very obvious. The paper coming out was curling completely around so that lead and trail edge were touching. They put a dehumidifier in the copy room. The holding tank, a little over a gallon would fill up about 3 times a day in a small copy room with the door closed.