Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bad Paper?

Wink Re: Bad Paper?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I had a customer who took this concept a little too far. This customer poured loose rice in the paper trays. As you can imagine, there were a few drawbacks. It took three separate visits to vacuum up all the rice. It kept re-appearing in the developing unit and the drum cleaning unit. It also creates cool texture in the resulting copies while passing through the fuser. =^..^=
    Dear your post make me laugh as much that i feel pain in my stomach.

Re: Bad Paper?

What is your jam code on that 600?
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    What is your jam code on that 600?
    They are probably all scrapped long time ago

On a side note I also enjoyed rice event, although...eeegh seeking for the last speck of rice isn't job for weak ones.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

It has been quite a while since I had problems with paper as bad as the first time I proved it was the paper causing the problem. Even better it was not a jamming problem but a copy quality issue in one of the first copiers I was trained to repair, a nice Canon PC6 re. We sold the machine and for a month or so things were fine, Then they decided that the "expensive paper" cost too much and bought the cheapest in the store to use. You guessed it, recycled. Which no one there mentioned they had started using. And I was so new at fixing copiers I never thought to ask. Yeap real fun when the copies came out faded and poor fixing. No jams though. I went and tried all the tricks and adjustments that tech support suggested on the third trip to improve the copy quality. And then on that visit I actually saw a new ream of paper they had with the recycled label, Right then I went next door and borrowed a handful of paper from another customer of ours and used that to make copies of test charts. They came out clean and perfect. Put the recycled paper back in and same lousy copy result immediately. I pointed out to the owner that I was not able to adjust the copier to work with recycled paper and they had to use non-recycled. Then I actually took a clean fresh sheet of the recycled paper and walked over to the window. Held it up to the bright sunshine and you could actually see in the paper small streaks and minute creases in the surface. He was not happy that he had to use the "expensive" stuff. I had him sign the paperwork pointing out the problem and solution. He had to purchase non-recycled paper and the specs of the machine recommended 20 to 30 pound bond for best copy results. We started informing customers that used recycled paper as copier paper we would not guarantee results of copies or cover excessive paper feed problems. Tech support informed me to look for that too.

Even more fun was once the warranty ran out he quit using Canon brand toners, which we emphasized was required under warranty since we did not guarantee copy quality on toners we did not sell but would cover warranty calls if he was using a OEM toner. He of course started using an off brand really cheap toner like 1/3 the price of the OEM toner and of course complained again that he was using copier paper and not recycled and getting lousy copies so "fix the darn thing" I went back out to my car got a canon toner I kept to test machines and made perfect copies with the canon toner. I put his cheap crap back in and got lousy spotted copies. Then had the satisfaction of writing a bill that included the little statement about defective aftermarket toner and left several labelled samples so he could go back to where he got the toner and demand a refund. Afterwards we had quite a few other customers that also used the same store over the years to buy the cheap cartridges and started hearing from them too. All I could do was fax them a sheet that said we did not warranty toners not sold by us. And if I made a service call with an OEM cartridge that took care of the problem then they were going to be billed.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Bad Paper?

Several years ago I had a customer with a c4501 that was jamming constantly (as in every 10 prints). After not finding a machine issue I grabbed a ream of our paper and ran all of it through the machine with no misfeeds. Then a new ream of their paper was loaded, and jammed within 10 prints. Even though I proved that the paper was the culprit while the customer watched, they were still in denial about what was causing the problem. It kind of pissed me off, I am a good tech and actually know what I'm doing. Come to find out, they had purchased a whole skid of the garbage paper. Instead of just getting good paper, they continued to run the garbage through. Every month or so they would call with jamming issues, and I would have to show them all over again that it was there paper. Sometimes logic and reason get thrown out the window for a mentality of denial, and unfortunately as techs we just have to suffer through it. Blue collar comedy explains it: You can't fix stupid.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I have a slightly different problem.

I have a client who uses recycled paper. It currently has many bizhub 308e/458e etc. and there aren't many jams.
    But I have a big problem: the fuser and all consumables last almost half life because of the paper! Obviously they have an all inclusive contract so the economic problem is mine, not them. What can be done in these cases? How to convince him to change paper?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Bad Paper?

Raise your rates. At some point, you'll break even or they'll move on to another vendor. Either is fine. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=