Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar

Re: emigration to Australia or USA

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Never had jellied eels (jelly with savoury food is just plain wrong LOL) and can't stand pie and mash, that means I'm not a real cockney, and I don't sound like one either, but you absolutely do sound like a brummie, you're as brummie as Ozzy himself
    This reminds me of the scene in Goldmember where Mike Myers and Michael Cain speak to each other in "English" English....
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    brummie? what is?
    Someone who comes from Birmingham, England
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Someone who comes from Birmingham, England

Got it. When I worked for GKN, one year we were short handed and they sent 4 guys over from Birmingham. Great guys. Insisted on driving their rental, but couldn't quite grasp the concept of not making left turns without looking for oncoming traffic. One of the things that amazed them was an "all you can eat" buffet. Another was the servers in restaurants coming back to see if you needed anything. They said where they were from, service was terrible when you went out to eat. Even when you speak the language, there is still quite a bit of culture shock. You spend your whole life used to certain things, and it's hard to change.

Sometimes doing what you are used to can lead to great things. When GKN sent me to Brazil, I didn't know that no one tips, because they include a service fee in the check. Being American, I tipped everybody heavily. I am pretty sure I got the best service ever. Ever see a scene in a movie where a rich man or woman is in a restaurant and pulls out a cigarette and a waiter runs up and has a flame under it as it touches their lips. That is what a waiter in the hotel I was at was doing for me. A friend told me he was probably getting as much in tips from me, as he was paid each week.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    emigration to Australia or USA

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Sometimes doing what you are used to can lead to great things. When GKN sent me to Brazil, I didn't know that no one tips, because they include a service fee in the check. Being American, I tipped everybody heavily. I am pretty sure I got the best service ever. Ever see a scene in a movie where a rich man or woman is in a restaurant and pulls out a cigarette and a waiter runs up and has a flame under it as it touches their lips. That is what a waiter in the hotel I was at was doing for me. A friend told me he was probably getting as much in tips from me, as he was paid each week.
    Good guy Fixthecopier, paying the wages of hardworking staff across the world.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Good guy Fixthecopier, paying the wages of hardworking staff across the world.

I think these people were making about $40 to $50 a week. Treating the staff with respect paid off. After I got back to America, I was notified my Visa gold card was turned in at the hotel by a maid. Card had a $20,000 limit. Spread good karma and it will get back around to you.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: emigration to Australia or USA

Drunk Driver - True story from Australia

Only an Aussie couldpull this one off ! A true story from Mount Isa in Queensland ....

Recently a routinePolice patrol car parked outside a local neighbourhood pub late in the evening.The officer noticed a man (Luke Sandery) leaving the bar so intoxicated that hecould barely walk.

The man stumbledaround the car park for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing.After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five vehicles. The manmanaged to find his car, which he fell into. He was there for a few minutes asa number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally he started thecar, switched the wipers on and off (it was a fine dry night). Then flicked theindicators on, then off, tooted the horn and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicleforward a few metres, reversed a little and then remained stationary for a fewmore minutes as some more vehicles left. At last he pulled out of the car parkand started to drive slowly down the road. The Police officer, having patientlywaited all this time, now started up the patrol car, put on the flashinglights, pulled the man over and carried out a breathalyser test.

To his amazement thebreathalyser indicated no evidence of the man's intoxication.

The Police officersaid "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the Police station - thisbreathalyser equipment must be broken."

"I doubtit," said the man, "tonight I'm the designated decoy"..

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Another drinking story from Down Under.
    Blue and Curly have just finished shearing a flock of 5000 sheep and recon they have worked up a bit of a thirst so decide to drive into town for a quiet ale or two. Since it’s a 2 hour drive to the closest pub they grab a carton of coldies out of the station coldroom, leap into the ute and their off in a cloud of red dust chucking dead marines out the window as they go.
    Hours later they roll into to town and as they turn the corner there is the local police sergeant conducting a one man RBT .
    “Arr strewth” say Blue “Wees gonna cop it now!” “No sweat” says Curly, “Just peel the label off your stubbie and stick it on your forehead”
    The sergeant strolls over to their ute and sticks his head through the window “Youse boys been drinking?” he asks.
    “No officer” says Curly, “We’ve given up, we’re on the patch!”
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.