Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Troubleshooting

I've recently noticed that a lot of times, we post technical replies directly for problems rather than taking a bit of time to learn more about the situation.
    To that end, I now try to ask some questions about a problem before posting technical advice.
    Am I just a nit-picking nitwit? If so, sorry about that.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

Re: Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    You most certainly are NOT, and btw, you have a real knack of making me laugh with the last sentence of the majority of your posts, and I thank you for that!
    I would just add that my pet peeve for many posters is when they post things like:
    "I have 'X' machine doing this.......thoughts???" (you know who you are)
    They get several solutions, and then respond by saying that they've 'tried all that'.
    How about providing as much info as possible about the problem and what you've done to resolve it in the first place? And save all of us a lot of time!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

I have noticed that many techs either do not like and/or do no want to take the time needed to do trouble shooting. We recently toke over an 8ui*/account that was dissatisfied with the previous servicing dealer. I went out to inspect a MP C2550 that they had in a field office, about 445 miles from town. The machine was not feeding from tray 1. The previous dealer's tech had been there the previous day and noticed that the feed roller was apparently not turning but did not take the time to determine why, he ordered a feed motor. I pulled the tray out and used output test to determine that the motor did turn, but as soon as I put little pressure against the coupling, it stopped turning even though I could still hear the motor turning. The problem was a bad spring clutch.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

I've recently noticed that a lot of times, we post technical replies directly for problems rather than taking a bit of time to learn more about the situation.
    To that end, I now try to ask some questions about a problem before posting technical advice.
    You're absolutely not! It's just that a lot of posters don't provide enough information. They just write that the machine throws a Service Call and ask what can be done about it, or my machine jams at the Registration Roller. Sometimes I don't even reply when I see such a post.

Maybe there should be a line in the forum rules how to describe the problem (what's the display telling, did you check the jam history, what did you do so far, etc).

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

troubleshooting is a developed skill and an ART that few techs ever really develop to the fullest!! when their comped by # of calls run and closed and fewest # of parts used they will never really get it................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Maybe there should be a line in the forum rules how to describe the problem (what's the display telling, did you check the jam history, what did you do so far, etc).
    Maybe a read me file that they have to agree to when they start a thread for the first time. But then again, that might cause more of them to hijack old threads from the graveyard.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

We also have to remember that we (in Europe, US, Canada, Australia) have unlimited access to all recources anytime, anywhere. In Africa, Middle East etc. things aren't like that. Sometimes I think to myself : "You shouldn't have posted that", because the other tech has no access to manuals, firmware, etc, and his boss tells him to just fix the problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    We also have to remember that we (in Europe, US, Canada, Australia) have unlimited access to all recources anytime, anywhere. In Africa, Middle East etc. things aren't like that. Sometimes I think to myself : "You shouldn't have posted that", because the other tech has no access to manuals, firmware, etc, and his boss tells him to just fix the problem.
    I started a post expressing these thoughts last year. I got my share of blowback because I wasn't very eloquent. But I agree, our tech brothers throughout the world find this forum as a God send. They are dealing with old equipment, limited resources and poor English skills. But they are working day in and day out, we want peace in that part of the world, we need more men working and not causing problems.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

I think I know what you're getting at Iowatech. I prefer to nudge the thread in the right direction with the right questions, rather than with blunt answers. It helps to get the poster thinking, and start the troubleshooting process themselves. I like to think of myself as more like a roadmap than a dictionary. I don't necessarily know answers, but how to get to them. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 08-11-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Troubleshooting

A lot of good points here but let's add to the list the techs that post a problem before they've even gone to the machine. Even if it's a code you haven't heard of, google is a good place to start but at least give it a try. More often than not, it's simpler than one would think, thus the phrase "kiss". (Keep it simple, stupid)