Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: toolbags

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Re: toolbags

Nearly all of our techs have given up the hard case platt tool box for soft synthetic bags with wheels. Heavy loaded tool cases are health hazards especially if your work area is in the snow belt or in areas where snow and the winter weather causes poor movement. I think the key is in my opinion, every three months or so take the time to spend that hour or so to cleanup and organize the bag and car. There is no point in carrying around stuff if you cannot find it when needed or have to empty the whole case. A tech with a fair work load will eventually find his bag getting heavier as he uses tools from the car and just leave it in the bag.
    Moving with a heavy bag and parts can be daunting and i hate that, especially when there is snow on the ground and you cannot wheel your bag.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    Moving with a heavy bag and parts can be daunting and i hate that, especially when there is snow on the ground and you cannot wheel your bag.
    Meh, it's not that hard if you are wearing the proper type of shoes. That's actually kind of an important consideration out here on the periphery where snow is expected every year at the same time.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    toolbags

Quote Originally Posted by ptrflrs View Post
    i had been wanting to try the backpack toolkit. don't need my laptop since i'm not doing network calls that much anymore. nice to have your hands free for all the parts i have to carry in especially in the rain like today but ever since i started loading pdf manuals on an sd card and looking up parts on my phone i have been keeping it very light with my clipboard toolkit. i'm probably gonna get sh!t from some techs here but i rarely need anything else than these small tools although i did leave my thumbdrive stuck on the side of a konica this week and my 6 inch steel ruler somewhere a few months ago. got some good expensive barrierta ricoh grease in the small tube, gel and thin super glue, fuser oil, my special windex/alcohol mix in the spray bottle, snap ring pliers for the ricoh fusers, cutters, flashlight, spring hook, tweaker, small and #2 phillips, door cheat master key, swiss army with small scissors for trimming those damned mylars, screws, mylars, etc... so let me have it
    Attachment 28837 Attachment 28838
    Must be nice. If that's all I had, I wouldn't be able to get so much as the panels off on some of the stuff I work on.

Quote Originally Posted by atwageman View Post
    Must be nice. If that's all I had, I wouldn't be able to get so much as the panels off on some of the stuff I work on.
    Actually i like his tool case too, but if you are working in the downtown areas or where parking rate is ridiculous, you kinda have to anticipate what you would may need according to the call and take it with you or run to the car up umpteen stories and back. time is money plus leaving your tools in a state that may be a hazard while you run to the car ect, plus the parking meter is running.
    But the main thing for him, is if he is getting the job done, then the boss should be happy. But that also encourages a bit of laziness as shortcuts will start to develop as the right tool was not available or used and just thinking of going to the car for that one tool, nah, bend it instead till the next call for the machine.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

One of our techs bought this made by Milwaukee and she loves it. She paid $65

I found one of these at flee market , new, for $30 and it works great for me. Mine is tan, It soon will change to black..

The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

That girl sure knows how to get the right tools. How did she manage that. The bag alone probably worth that amount.

Those tools will last a lifetime. solid and not cheap and well built.

I envy her. make me want to go buy some, but i have enough already. What! a tool hobbyist never has enough tools.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

i only have one warning about toolbags...be careful with the ones with straps over the shoulders....it tore my shoulder up...contracted tendonitis from it.

The problem with to compact is where do you put your PH2X400mm? I cant work without it. Its 1/2 a meter long.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Meh, it's not that hard if you are wearing the proper type of shoes. That's actually kind of an important consideration out here on the periphery where snow is expected every year at the same time.
    Don't know about Iowa winters, but here in Toronto it can be very slippery when wet. Black ice ,freezing rain are unknown to the feet whenever it occurs. They are not frequent, but loosing your footing even with the best pair of boots can be scary. Happened to me a few times, had a few falls, but thank the good lord, no broken bones and injuries. I know some who were not so lucky. Canadian winters are harsh. But we have to do the job and take all the precautions.
    But to be fair to your point, most of the time the streets are cleared of the snow and sidewalks too. It's when no salt is applied then very slippery conditions prevail.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post

That girl sure knows how to get the right tools. How did she manage that. The bag alone probably worth that amount.

Those tools will last a lifetime. solid and not cheap and well built.

I envy her. make me want to go buy some, but i have enough already. What! a tool hobbyist never has enough tools.
    Sorry, but that is just for the bag, no tools.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking