Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MPC2551 scan to folder on windows10 authentication failure

Set this up on 3 computers last month for the customer and all scanned to folder fine.
    got a call from customer today saying scans to his computer stopped about 2 weeks ago, the other 2 computers still scanning no problem.
    his shows authentication failure so I verified username and password were correct and even set up another user on his computer myself to see and it also gave authentication error.

i have searched the many problems recently with the ransom virus updates but I never noticed if that also caused authentication errors.

customer said his computer did an automatic update about 2 weeks ago so is that most likely the culprit?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Re: MPC2551 scan to folder on windows10 authentication failure

I remember an update under Windows 7 last year. After the windows update, scan to folder did not work anymore on concerned customer clients and few mp c3003.
    With the cooperation of the network admin we uninstalled the update. Afterwards everything has worked again correctly. Unfortunately, I have not noted the microsoft KB. But it had something to do with SMB and security settings in the registry.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

There are a number of threads in connectivity dealing with a recent Microsoft security update that turns off SMB v1 connection. Although Ricoh has updated network control firmware to allow it to necessary information used by SMB v3 to write to the drive, initial connection is still SMB v1. There is a registration edit that will enable SMB v1 connection.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    There are a number of threads in connectivity dealing with a recent Microsoft security update that turns off SMB v1 connection. Although Ricoh has updated network control firmware to allow it to necessary information used by SMB v3 to write to the drive, initial connection is still SMB v1. There is a registration edit that will enable SMB v1 connection.
    Yes that is what I was able to find as well but I just wanted to verify that it gives an authentication error when this is the issue.

Did you get this sorted mate, we have had a number of similar issues down here in AU, replied to a similar thread, maybe the same issue:

Try this:
    Open a telnet connection to the copier and do the following that is in BOLD. This may fix the issue without effecting the scanning from other machines. If it does not work run the same again but make the "1" a "0" and the "445" a "139" and it will be back to default. Cycle the power after word. Be sure to tap "logout" after changing the settings and typing "yes" at the end to save the settings after logout.
    msh> smb client auth
    -Displays the current setting
    msh> smb client auth 1
    -Enables NTLMv2
    msh> logout
    -Saves data
    Setting value Result
    0 (default) SMB client uses NTLM/LM authentication.
    1 SMB client uses NTLMv2/NTLM/LM authentication.
    Authentication level setting: The device will use only one protocol with the priority that is the highest among the available protocols. The priorities are listed in the table below. The device cannot switch between them automatically.
    Priority Authentication
    Level 0 (default) Level 1
    High
    |
    Low NTLMv1 NTLMv2
    LAN Manager NTLMv1
    Plain Text LAN Manager
    N/A Plain Text
    The SMB port can be changed via Telnet:
    msh> smb client port
    -Displays the current setting
    msh> smb client port 445
    -Changes port number

Don’t forget:

msh> logout
    -Saves data

Setting value Result
    139 (default) SMB client uses port 139 port
    445 SMB client uses port 445 port (normally required after server is patched)

Restart copier and try again.

Hope this helps,

Chris H.

Tasmania.