Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MPC2004ex with OCR scan !

HI,

Scanning with OCR active gives portrait and landscape disorder . .?
    For example when there is little text and only on top of the original the page rotate and its in landscape !
    mostley when there is little text and only on top it rotates.
    Also when the originel is setup on A4 portrait, it rotates.

when disabling the OCR mode all pages become portrait with no problems.
    So OCR causes this . .?
    done alle the firmware updates, no results.

anyone?
    Thanks in advance

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar

Re: MPC2004ex with OCR scan !

It's a feature of 2016S controller which can be switched off upside down detection when some unwanted output specially some hand written on the document.
    fix the customer first then fix the machine... its simple and makes life more easy.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

so how can I change this ....

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You are much better off to turn off OCR permanently. There numerous OCR software that work better and faster.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You are much better off to turn off OCR permanently. There numerous OCR software that work better and faster.
    X2!

Hopefully OCR wasn’t a major reason the customer bought the machine.

Onboard OCR is just plain dreadful. It only works marginally with perfect originals...and that’s on a good day.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Bumping this thread because I am looking for a solution for the same issue. The sales team are selling the OCR units hard over here, must be lots of margin in them.

We have clients with OCR permanently on for EVERYTHING, so I would like to see a way to turn off the auto orientation.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    Bumping this thread because I am looking for a solution for the same issue. The sales team are selling the OCR units hard over here, must be lots of margin in them.

We have clients with OCR permanently on for EVERYTHING, so I would like to see a way to turn off the auto orientation.
    Embedded OCR conversion is performed on the C2004 and then attached to the PDF before the fie is written to the destination. Depending on the size and complexity of the original document this can take minutes. You might tell your sales staff that unless they are pushing Global Scan NX, they do not want to place a machine in a trial with it set to default to scan to OCR. As soon as a competitor places a machine next to without OCR installed/enabled and has the customer try scanning a multi-page document on both machines at the same time and the scan document from their machine is in the folder considerably sooner than the OCR scanned document, you've lost a sale.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh sells a product called PPDM (now 2016 version) that I use in law offices all the time. Its made by Nuance and has 4 modules. The OCR module has "Hot Folder" watch capability that will convert the scan image to whatever file format that is listed, in the Law firms its usually searchable PDF, and output it to another directory that you can browse to. Its not 100% trouble free but its close to it.
    The real nice thing about this product is that it will reduce the file size after the document is OCR'ed. I don't know if the over the counter version has the "watch folder" option or not. The setup is easy but requires some tweaks. I been using this solution for over 7 years now. It works well in both big and small work flows. In one account we have 3 Ricoh 6002 units scanning all day to this solution. Each MFP has its own PPDM product running off a windows 7 VM and then will off load the OCR to a "World Dox" back end.

The solution comes with a 30 day trial so if you want to kick the tires you can at no risk. You will need access to the Ricoh tech site and have a good connection, the size of the zip file is 2.5G. Another benefit to this is that you can use it with any MFP that scans to folder and don't have to repurchase the solution at the end of a lease.

Good luck