Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MP 4055 - Envelopes randomly printing address in wrong orientation from bypass tray

Greetings, I have a client with a new Ricoh MP 4055. When they print envelopes from Word and feed the envelopes into the bypass tray it will randomly print the address with the wrong orientation. For example, if you stood the envelope on one short end the address would be to one end and be read horizontal instead of centered and horizontal when sitting on the long end (Like normal). The same user can then send it again and it will print normally. It's even happened with just one user in the office. There doesn't seem to be any reason or rhyme to it. It's been looked at by a Ricoh tech and a trainer for the company they purchased it from. It worked while they were here, but as soon as they left I got called back because it was doing it again. I'm at a loss and was hoping that perhaps someone with a bit more experience might have some suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't replicate it on command and it's totally random, but it happens enough that my customers are extremely annoyed. I already did a search, but unfortunately found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 4055 - Envelopes randomly printing address in wrong orientation from bypass tray

Re: MP 4055 - Envelopes randomly printing address in wrong orientation from bypass tr

In my experienced, this is always caused by an operator error. Have you or another tech or trainer had the person who complains about this the most often actually demonstrate the problem to you while you are watching exactly what that individual is doing?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: MP 4055 - Envelopes randomly printing address in wrong orientation from bypass tr

Envelope printing!....I swear it's the main cause of my hair loss!
    First of all....as much as we all want to help our customers, we can't be expected to be responsible for every little inconvenience - especially when it has nothing to do with a machine malfunction.

Like Tim said, it's almost guaranteed to be an internal issue.
    I had a new customer some time ago contact me for an envelope issue. Yes, I could duplicate the issue, and it took me forever to realize that they must have formatted their envelopes in 3 different ways. The ones that printed properly, ALWAYS printed properly and the others ALWAYS didn't.
    Some would sit and beep until you manually selected the bypass tray, then jam because of a paper size mismatch, others had somehow been programmed to take from tray 1 (perhaps a previous printer they'd had-but of course no one remembered) so it would try to print the addresses on a letter size paper, unless they manually selected the bypass and paper size.
    Bottom line is, that I finally figured all of this out, proved it to them, and showed them some tricks to get it to do what they wanted.
    So my guess is that you might have something similar going on -that it's certain addresses that produce the issue. Next time it happens have them make note of the exact file/address (whatever), and I'll bet that that it will always be a problem unless they check the paper tray/size/source settings beforehand.

F***ing ENVELOPES!

It feels good to vent.

Good luck

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Microsoft Suite applications have this annoying way of saving printer settings in the document. Here's an example:

Let's say user #1 decides to print onto C6 envelope size. Then they email the document to User #2. User #2 decides to print onto COM10 envelopes, and loads COM10 envelopes. User #2 may even have a driver default for COM10. Yet the printer asks for C6 Envelope.

User #2 asks: "What the hell is C6? I didn't choose it? Why does it always do this? blah, blah, blah ...

If you check the document properties it will specify C6 Envelope. All you have to do is change the setting and save the document. Now it's COM10.

This applies to Word, Excel, Access, ... all of the Suite applications. It just amazes me how little most endusers know about the applications they use every day. Word is one of the most annoying, always trying to auto-format your document for you, and shoving your pictures right off of the page.

You'll have to watch every mouse-click to what exactly they are or are not doing. This is a baby-sitting mission. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thank you all. You've likely confirmed my suspicions. It's just hard to believe user error when they send through the envelope a second time and it prints fine. I will confess that I've not watched them like a hawk while they were doing it. I guess that's my next step. Glad I could provide an opportunity to vent. I think we've all been there and probably one of the main reasons these forums are so popular.

LTCTech

I have this EXACT same problem with the same model and have observed it myself while having checked settings before the job was sent.
    No settings were changed and the text would randomly change orientation. This is happening on multiple computers.

The printer on these PCs are installed from a print server share. Here is that information:
    Print server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
    Driver: RICOH MP 4055 PCL 6
    Driver Version 1.1.0.0

Could this be a bug in the driver? I'm going to look to see if there is a different version of the driver to use.

Edit***
    I just noticed this post was from a year ago. Sorry about that. Did anyone find a solution?
    Last edited by LTCTech; 02-18-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Didn't notice the date of the post.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LTCTech View Post
    I have this EXACT same problem with the same model and have observed it myself while having checked settings before the job was sent.
    No settings were changed and the text would randomly change orientation. This is happening on multiple computers.

The printer on these PCs are installed from a print server share. Here is that information:
    Print server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
    Driver: RICOH MP 4055 PCL 6
    Driver Version 1.1.0.0

Could this be a bug in the driver? I'm going to look to see if there is a different version of the driver to use.

Edit***
    I just noticed this post was from a year ago. Sorry about that. Did anyone find a solution?
    You have tried to grave rob a year a old(dead and buries) post. Start a new one.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This has been an issue on a few different models (Cxx04/ xx54/ xx55). The way we solved it for a couple customers and something that's suggested on the RICOH forum is to switch their Driver to a PS driver. Not sure why this works, but it does.
    These machines also seem to have a problem with Reset Timers not working (especially when hitting the home button while in a classic app), and some say this could be part of the envelope printing issue too.
    By all accounts, it's usually just one envelope that comes out wrong, and any that follow come out correctly.

LTCTech

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You have tried to grave rob a year a old(dead and buries) post. Start a new one.

First off, I'm new. Second, if you had read my post, I realized that the post was old after the fact. I didn't "try" to do anything. It was a mistake.

We fought with this a bit and finally changed to the PS driver and problem was solved. Also, if you haven't noticed, it isn't random. It will flip the envelope printing after the machine is rebooted or after it has gone in to low power mode and woken up again. Not sure why the different driver helped but it was definitely the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Microsoft Suite applications have this annoying way of saving printer settings in the document. Here's an example:

Let's say user #1 decides to print onto C6 envelope size. Then they email the document to User #2. User #2 decides to print onto COM10 envelopes, and loads COM10 envelopes. User #2 may even have a driver default for COM10. Yet the printer asks for C6 Envelope.

User #2 asks: "What the hell is C6? I didn't choose it? Why does it always do this? blah, blah, blah ...

If you check the document properties it will specify C6 Envelope. All you have to do is change the setting and save the document. Now it's COM10.

This applies to Word, Excel, Access, ... all of the Suite applications. It just amazes me how little most endusers know about the applications they use every day. Word is one of the most annoying, always trying to auto-format your document for you, and shoving your pictures right off of the page.

You'll have to watch every mouse-click to what exactly they are or are not doing. This is a baby-sitting mission. =^..^=
    Sorry, no. Techs don't carry toner.