Changing Bypass Tray Output MP 4055

Greetings all,

Is there a way to change where the bypass tray prints out. Currently print jobs come out on the internal tray. That is apparently too slow for my users. They swear to me that it printed out to one of the other trays before another tech changed it. I've searched high and low and can't find a setting for changing the output of the bypass tray. I can find settings to change all the others though. This is on a Ricoh MP 4055. I just need to know if this can or can't be done. Of course if it can be done, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Technician

Re: Changing Bypass Tray Output MP 4055

I think output is based on copy, fax or print mode and not tray selection.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevemcombs View Post
    Greetings all,

Is there a way to change where the bypass tray prints out. Currently print jobs come out on the internal tray. That is apparently too slow for my users. They swear to me that it printed out to one of the other trays before another tech changed it.
    I agree with DH1980, as far as I know, the output is entirely based on the job type.
    What do you mean by too slow? What output tray would you expect to speed up the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1980 View Post

Right now, only paper or envelopes loaded into the bypass tray come out of the internal tray. Everything else comes out of the finisher shift tray or finisher upper tray.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I agree with DH1980, as far as I know, the output is entirely based on the job type.
    What do you mean by too slow? What output tray would you expect to speed up the machine?
    When they print to the bypass tray and the completed project comes out of the internal tray it takes considerably longer to "make the trip". When print jobs are sent to any of the other paper trays the finished job comes out of one of the other output trays in a few seconds. It might take 15 seconds from the bypass tray to the internal tray, but less than 5 to go from one of the other paper trays to any of the finisher trays. They are standing there waiting, which is the only reason this is even an issue, that, and they swear to me a technician changed it when he was out servicing the machine. If you guys don't know then I'm going to have them wait till that tech comes out again.

Technician

Could the bypass be set to thick paper?

Could the bypass be set to thick paper?
    It could be. I'll check on Friday. Unfortunately I'm not in front of the machine till then.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Paper printed at the machines max thickness setting will probably refuse to go to the finisher.

When they print to the bypass tray and the completed project comes out of the internal tray it takes considerably longer to "make the trip". When print jobs are sent to any of the other paper trays the finished job comes out of one of the other output trays in a few seconds. It might take 15 seconds from the bypass tray to the internal tray, but less than 5 to go from one of the other paper trays to any of the finisher trays. They are standing there waiting, which is the only reason this is even an issue, that, and they swear to me a technician changed it when he was out servicing the machine. If you guys don't know then I'm going to have them wait till that tech comes out again.
    Sounds like it is set to a high thickness setting. Which it should be for envelopes. You will probably have to explain how the paper weight settings affect print speed. It's possible the last tech set the bypass default regular paper. Other than physical travel time the output tray shouldn't have any bearing on output speed.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This sounds to me like they have something set wrong in the print driver or the computer it self. The paper path from the bypass to the inner tray is shorter that to the finisher. In order for it to take 10 seconds longer it must be that either the 4055 is 1. waiting for the job to spool, 2. waiting for for the fusing temperature to adjust, which I doubt it would take more than a second or two, or 3. cycling the job through the duplex. In cases 1 there will be a delay before the paper feeds. In case 2 the paper will feed to the registration roller then pause until the fusing unit is ready.

Did someone change the driver to either Microsoft's Ricoh Class driver or Ricoh's PCL driver for Universal Print. Also check the port being used. I have seen a PDF take as much as 30 seconds a page to spool using the WSD port.

The bypass tray is set to envelope and thick paper 2. I guess this explains the longer time. They still swear that it used to output to another tray other than the internal tray. I'm contacting the company that sold them the copier and apparently made those changes in a few minutes. I'll post what I find out. Thanks for the input.