Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP C3002 not recognizing toner

This is a new post continued. I placed a Reman MP C3002 system, and when toner ran low, I used the Genuine Ricoh (841735) black toner. Display says " toner not set correctly".
    The unit now does accept Ricoh ( 842201) black toner. I even swapped chips from an empty Reman toner 842201 and placed it on a Standard 841735 , it accepts it. ( only it shows empty).

I ran across previous posts where Techs inadvertently updated standard MP C's used the Ricoh Greenline engine firmware causing this same problem.

Does anyone know if I can Update the current (Reman) Ricoh MP C3002 engine firmware with standard engine firmware to allow the Reman unit to accept standard Ricoh Black toner ?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: MP C3002 not recognizing toner

841735 Appears to be the correct K toner EDP for your geographical location and model.
    Black Print Cartridge MP C3502 | Ricoh USA

842201 Has me confused, I do not know what P and RM is referring to (maybe the printer only model).
    Black Print Cartridge MP C3502P/C5502P | Ricoh USA

As for the Greenline labelled machines they are just officially re-conditioned models.
    The firmware from what I'm seeing is identical.
    D1425116N / v1.11.04 is the last Engine firmware update for the MP C3002/C3502/G.

Note
    I have had a faulty chip on a new toner bottle before, it's rare but it can happen.
    The fact you changed the toner bottle chips around indicates that BRB PCB is working, but it's still worth visually inspecting that you have no bent pins
    But I think it's more than likely you have the wrong toner.

Last edited by Cipher; 05-02-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Cipher,
    Thank you for your input. You are correct the toner that does work is the "P" toner #842201. I thought of the bent pins / contacts for the board reading the toner...not the case here. (positive this is a chip difference between toners)

I read other / older posts where techs loaded / updated engine firmware (greenline) causing a standard (non reman version) not to recognize the toner.

The only source I can find for Ricoh (842201) black toner is Ricoh direct. (too expensive)

Is it possible to turn a Ricoh (Reman) C3002RM into a standard C3002 , so I can use regular Ricoh 841735 Black toner ? Is this done with firmware ? If so which firmware ?

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MP C3002 not recognizing toner

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks Mikidonovan,
    I found that on Ebay as well, it is out of stock. And I did acquire a toner thru Ricoh direct (expensive) which works, so my "fire" is out for now.

I'm looking for a way to convert a "Reman" version to a standard version.

It's looking like that may be possible by updating the system firmware with standard firmware, not the Ricoh greenline firmware.

I also don't want to "brick" the system. Just looking for someone who may have encountered this.

Or a less expensive source for the 842201 black toner.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Scrap what I posted.

I was not aware Ricoh USA had modified their Greenline 02' range to take a different toner formula.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks to all for your input. Ricohguy answered my "quest" , the greenline / Reman conversion may be possible by replacing the BCU, firmware and drum units. All due to a different type of toner used for Reman RM/ Greenline machines
    Polymerized (standard toner) vs Pulverized ( greenline / Reman RM).

Thanks to all

Question Re: MP C3002 not recognizing toner

Hi Guys , I too figured out that you cannot use OEM black toner, you need to use the Ricoh "greenline toner" id 842201 for black , question is, do the other color toners need to be none OEM as well ? Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QCCDUDE View Post
    Hi Guys , I too figured out that you cannot use OEM black toner, you need to use the Ricoh "greenline toner" id 842201 for black , question is, do the other color toners need to be none OEM as well ? Thanks
    They only changed black. The colors are still OEM original. I have been there done that many times.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    They only changed black. The colors are still OEM original. I have been there done that many times.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your Quick response,