Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Re: Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    I think the worst are the teachers of the school, I saw instead open the 'rdf, throw it up like when you open a garage, when you open the front panel seems to have made war with the toner, a funny thing: I do not know why but the translator translates in italian"dickhead" into self-taught (auto didatta), I did not know you say "testa di cazzo" in English you say dickhead...LOL...very fun!
    I usually do not have a problem with teachers. At most of my schools, the teachers have to supply their own paper(no paper kept in the machine). I therefore bring my own paper also and usually leave at least one tray loaded.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    The most I ever ran to chase an intermittent problem was ~2000 sheets. Customer ran a 10000 page job afterwards while I observed. Generally test with 100 or less, though up to a ream can sometimes be justified.

--------

My top three nightmare users, in no particular order, are:

Teachers
    Police
    Nurses / Doctors

Honorable mention goes to heavy industry.
    how bout lawyers who think they can fix copiers or are too cheap to pay to have it fixxed..

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

I love all of my customers, as they pay my house, car, food, hobby etc. couldn’t live without them
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Maybe he HATES Trees.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Yeah he hates trees so much that he wastes all that paper, but at home he re-uses his toilet paper to wash his guilt. Cheap bastard

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Customers who are butts shouldn't be using this site. Take it up with service mgr. Side note. I had a customer once who complained of jamming, took all of the paper out of copier and gave me 5 pieces of previously copied paper to test with. Can you believe that? I went out to my car, got about 50 sheets of paper, found no jamming issue after running the 50 sheets about 4 times through by copying blanks. When I told her, the copier is working fine for me, I asked to see her paper, here it was all previously copied paper. I suggested she use new paper for copier to prevent jamming. Then she asked how many copies I made. She had the stones to say I needed to reimburse her for the clicks used as that took 200 pages away from her contract. I responded that technically she should be charged for the service call as this repair and diagnosis was not covered under her maintenance plan because she was operating her copier with media not meant to be used in a machine. I then told her that I could have my manager call her if she wishes and he would likely say the same. I said is there anything else you need done? Then left!!
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    She had the stones to say I needed to reimburse her for the clicks used as that took 200 pages away from her contract. I responded that technically she should be charged for the service call as this repair and diagnosis was not covered under her maintenance plan because she was operating her copier with media not meant to be used in a machine. I then told her that I could have my manager call her if she wishes and he would likely say the same. I said is there anything else you need done? Then left!!
    Simple solution, unless you are working on an ancient MFP run all your tests from a copy window in SP mode. Clicks are not counted on the main meter.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Simple solution, unless you are working on an ancient MFP run all your tests from a copy window in SP mode. Clicks are not counted on the main meter.
    This ! Can't say this enough. Every service call I go to for jamming or copy quality issues I print a counter page first as reference. I run all tests and copies from the sp mode. There are no words for some customers. Want to pay pennies and get gold in return. But anyway it also helps you to be able to run multiple tests and copies without messing up the accounting counter. I rather credit or get the customer a Ream than have to come back to the customer for a repeat call because I did not test it enough .
    If it works, don't touch it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Originally Posted by slimslob

This ! Can't say this enough. Every service call I go to for jamming or copy quality issues I print a counter page first as reference. I run all tests and copies from the sp mode. There are no words for some customers. Want to pay pennies and get gold in return. But anyway it also helps you to be able to run multiple tests and copies without messing up the accounting counter. I rather credit or get the customer a Ream than have to come back to the customer for a repeat call because I did not test it enough .

Yes, I know. If I am going to run a lot for a squeak or a mystery issue, I will run in SP mode. HOWEVER, it has been drilled into us that we provide the toner to the customer in the contract, the customer is responsible for somewhat taking care of their machine and providing a good working paper, power, etc. Most repairs can be done within 100 pages, so really what is the customer out of? $1.00. Hardly worth a fuss. What is the service amount for 100 pages maybe 50 cents max wear/tear. Contracts charge the customer that abuses the machines roughly the same as those who take care of them. Bottom line is their are a lot more customers that don't make minimum base counts than those that do. Why not charge customer for service clicks? The common statement is do customers charge auto techs for the gas used in trouble shooting a vehicle and driving it 25 miles? Of course not. It is part of the repair. If we asked repair shop to supply its own gas, they would increase repair price to cover it. Why should we not get paid for diagnostic clicks especially since it was her fault. (BTW.... she has never met her minimum contract). In her case though, I always run in sp mode now cause I know she checks meters (her squawking ain't worth the trouble). I bring in my own paper and stuff the copies in my tool kit before leaving. The good thing is she learned her lesson and doesn't do that crap anymore. Especially since I mentioned that a few years ago an average paper jam resulted in 5 minutes of lost productivity or cost about $5 in lost labor. If buying a sealed ream of paper saves you one jam, it has paid for itself.

I get into trouble cuz I don't tolerate people abusing machines too well. This one I still shake my head at. Called out for jamming. I pull about 2 reams out of the paper tray, totally obvious this paper got wet, it had fritten water discoloration about an inch in on one corner. throughout the reams I told the customer to use it for scratch paper, not in copier. I even put a good ream in and showed customer how well it ran. Later that day same operator, same jamming. Open the drawer and she put the crappy paper back in. I took it back out and threw it in trash, emptied a second trash can over the top to "hide" the rest of that junk stuff. The next day, the boss calls me in. Night janitor empties the trash and finds nearly 2 reams of paper hidden in the first trash can. Boss sent me over with 2 reams to apologize to that "B". Not my favorite moment.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex