Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

Re: Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    This all seems innocuous but having CUSTOMERS use this site to rat on us or shame us is a slippery slope. I advise this thread be removed.
    I don't think the OP ratted or shamed anyone, he's just asking a question, is this normal? NO, but there ARE exceptions, as posted in replies! I hope this is a thread where other customers will get an answer as well, and if they read our replies, they'll get insight into what it's like to do our jobs, and how they can best help us and themselves.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

I have a different feeling about this and disagree with one point a poster made . I feel it's the techs responsibility to put a piece of paper or something under a clip that can fall into the worse spot to find. Don't think it's the customer fault for asking a question and clip falls down inside machine. Also why not tell the customer "can I answer your questions after I'm done", especially if doing something critical at that time. As for questions customer can ask me all the questions they want for the $105 charge. As I posted before I only charge a flat rate not by the hour so hopefully not too many questions

I sometimes put myself in the customer's shoes. If I was paying what most companies charge for service I should be able to ask as many questions as I want. Maybe I'm lucky to have the accounts I have, over 200 active accounts and thankfully I don't have issues with customer's. Or it could be the reasonable flat rate I charge. Also there is a better attitude with a tech if it's their own business, instead of "arms & legs" for a company that don't appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I have a different feeling about this and disagree with one point a poster made . I feel it's the techs responsibility to put a piece of paper or something under a clip that can fall into the worse spot to find. Don't think it's the customer fault for asking a question and clip falls down inside machine. Also why not tell the customer "can I answer your questions after I'm done", especially if doing something critical at that time. As for questions customer can ask me all the questions they want for the $105 charge. As I posted before I only charge a flat rate not by the hour so hopefully not too many questions

I sometimes put myself in the customer's shoes. If I was paying what most companies charge for service I should be able to ask as many questions as I want. Maybe I'm lucky to have the accounts I have, over 200 active accounts and thankfully I don't have issues with customer's. Or it could be the reasonable flat rate I charge. Also there is a better attitude with a tech if it's their own business, instead of "arms & legs" for a company that don't appreciate them.
    Again, you were not there, only I was there, and the part being reattached with a tiny e-ring had ZERO space to put a piece of paper under it, and I've been a technician for over 30 years. I think you would have probably dropped the part too, unless you were worried about it falling through an adjacent hole and stuck a magnet under/near it first (if you were lucky enough that it was made of STEEL). We don't always have foresight, anyone can have hindsight and tell the other person how they can do a better job, and cheaper too. THAT particular service call, the customer was trying to get by on a 1/2 hour minimum introductory call (about 60 bucks at the time), which then turned out to be not possible. I charge by the hour, and I'm not working, 2, 3, 8 hours on a customer machine for a flat rate, unless it's $1500. So maybe don't bother me when my hands are in your machine and parts are everywhere and you're pacing around to tell me to hurry up!! Glad you''re so rich and busy, by the way, I'm happy for you!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

On maybe three occasions I may have run that much paper, bit if it's absolutely necessary to do this much testing I enlist the enduser to line up jobs they can use. And that's on production level equipment, not office machines.

On one occasion I observed 20K pass through a bizhub 1052, all customers jobs.

My recommendation is to take it up with the copier vendors management. I think they'll agree that's excessive. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    On maybe three occasions I may have run that much paper, bit if it's absolutely necessary to do this much testing I enlist the enduser to line up jobs they can use. And that's on production level equipment, not office machines.

On one occasion I observed 20K pass through a bizhub 1052, all customers jobs.

My recommendation is to take it up with the copier vendors management. I think they'll agree that's excessive. =^..^=
    I've gotten into the habit of asking if customer has any real copies or prints they need to make, and then let them run them for testing. Win-win! I stopped running more than a hundred when I stopped doing high-volume analog jam calls but that is just me. For all we know the boss is telling that guy to do it!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Wow! Holster those pistols partner. I didn't mean anything personally by my post just that you can't blame the customer for dropping clip into machine. After reading my post it could be taken that way. Sorry didn't mean it that way.Tell them that what you are doing is critical and don't want to have to charge more by being distracted. I've been in the business 40+ years and can't recall a situation where I couldn't "rig" something up to prevent a clip, etc from falling into machine. Of course it doesn't work all the time, but still better than doing nothing and have to worry about being distracted by someone asking a question, or a phone ringing, etc. You know these machines are in some crazy places with all kind of distractions and if a clip can fall into the machine you know it will. I won't attempt it until I "rig" something up. Even if I have to take some of the machine apart for "rig" to work. 5 min disassembly better than 30+ mins trying to find it.
    Again I'm extra careful because I don't charge by the hour.

If you are that rattled by a post on a forum than I feel sorry for your customers if they make you mad, mad= they pay more $. I have to ask, if no one was around to blame and clip fell into machine do you still charge the customer extra for your mistake? No need to answer I think I know the answer.

FYI, I'm not rich or busy. I've actually slowed down as my choice. Getting close to retirement so just riding it out.

I saw & liked your post about asking the customer if they need anything run instead of wasting paper. I do the same thing ask if they need any forms they use a lot, etc. Back in the fax days customer could always use fax cover sheets, customer never had enough.

Best of luck to you
    Last edited by copyman; 01-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    This all seems innocuous but having CUSTOMERS use this site to rat on us or shame us is a slippery slope. I advise this thread be removed.

I don't think that this person is ratting on anyone. I know that must of us on this site are on the up and up however you have to remember that there are shady techs out there that give us good techs a bad rap. Arming yourself with a little knowledge to help your business is never a bad thing, I think that's what they're trying to do. I've ran into a couple new customers who had there old techs run them through the ringer replacing the wrong parts to solve problems that didn't exist. I know if a tech in my office was running that many prints I would want to know so I could take him outside and beat him with a full waste container.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    O.K so there's always reasons for people doing things so lets look at a couple things. 1. What type of machine do you have. 2. What type of issues are you having that he comes out once a week. 3. What type of volume are you running on your machine (how many prints per day). With a little info maybe we can help you figure out why he runs this amount of prints. It does seem excessive but there must be a reason.
    Exactly what I thought. Like first post by mistake, but can't correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JDYAL View Post
    I know if a tech in my office was running that many prints I would want to know so I could take him outside and beat him with a full waste container.
    LOL now THAT deserves second one
    Last edited by tsbservice; 01-11-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Thumbs down Re: Repair Guy Uses Tons of Paper

Wow! Holster those pistols partner. I didn't mean anything personally by my post just that you can't blame the customer for dropping clip into machine. After reading my post it could be taken that way. Sorry didn't mean it that way.Tell them that what you are doing is critical and don't want to have to charge more by being distracted. I've been in the business 40+ years and can't recall a situation where I couldn't "rig" something up to prevent a clip, etc from falling into machine. Of course it doesn't work all the time, but still better than doing nothing and have to worry about being distracted by someone asking a question, or a phone ringing, etc. You know these machines are in some crazy places with all kind of distractions and if a clip can fall into the machine you know it will. I won't attempt it until I "rig" something up. Even if I have to take some of the machine apart for "rig" to work. 5 min disassembly better than 30+ mins trying to find it.
    Again I'm extra careful because I don't charge by the hour.

If you are that rattled by a post on a forum than I feel sorry for your customers if they make you mad, mad= they pay more $. I have to ask, if no one was around to blame and clip fell into machine do you still charge the customer extra for your mistake? No need to answer I think I know the answer.

FYI, I'm not rich or busy. I've actually slowed down as my choice. Getting close to retirement so just riding it out.

I saw & liked your post and about asking the customer if they need anything run instead of wasting paper. I do the same thing ask if they need any forms they use a lot, etc. Back in the old days customer could always run fax cover sheets, customer never had enough.

Best of luck to you
    Wheres the block button??

That does seem unusual. Especially having to service the copier once a week! As for running that many pages it tells me he was probably testing for jamming on a high volume machine.
    If machine is under contract call company and tell them to bring their own paper next time if they are going to run more than 100 pages to test. If not already store paper away from copier. When tech asks for paper give him 100 sheets no more! 100 sheets is more than enough for 99.9% service calls.

I would think you wouldn't buy a Ricoh again. Look at Konica Minolta next time.

Wanted to add something after reading allan's post. I disagree with what he said about pissing the tech off. Customers piss me off all the time but I don't waste a case of their paper because of it. If you have to worry about something like that than it is time to find a new copier company.

Hehe yea i would not do stuff like that just wondering if this guy is not boosting billable clicks.
    Whatever