Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Yellow blotches from a MP C3003 revisited

Re: Yellow blotches from a MP C3003 revisited

That roller you are talking about that you said you removed, cleaned bushings, and lubed and then reassembled, will come back to haunt you sooner rather than later.
    We have found those bushings get so "egged out" that they NEED to be replaced. You'll be back for squeaking or Yellow Dev. pulling.
    D2416346 and D2416347 are the P/N's for those bushings. Pretty cheap and easy to install, and will keep you from making an early return trip.
    Omertà

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

H ithere!
    Found this, maybe it helps.
    Greetings...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    That roller you are talking about that you said you removed, cleaned bushings, and lubed and then reassembled, will come back to haunt you sooner rather than later.
    We have found those bushings get so "egged out" that they NEED to be replaced. You'll be back for squeaking or Yellow Dev. pulling.
    D2416346 and D2416347 are the P/N's for those bushings. Pretty cheap and easy to install, and will keep you from making an early return trip.
    Actually, this thread was started over a year ago. The two machines I initially discussed have been fine with no additional work needed to the ITB units so they have been fine for over a year now. I have had others since and have not had to return to any of them so far for repeat issues. I do know some of my compatriots have replaced rollers and the arm assemblies (bushings come with those) because in one case, the bushings got so hot, they deformed the plastic on the arms.

I don't disagree that there could be issues, which is why I went from using a thin lube to using grease, although that was just recently. A lot of my 3 series machines that I work on are coming up on end of lease, so I expect them to be gone in 3-6 months. Given that, my attitude has changed a bit on what I would do with a machine that I expect to remain in the field for another 1+ years and one that is going away in the next 30-45 days.

@Zeldaman I am familiar with that bulletin, but have never seen it be an issue in terms of what they describe. If I have blotches of developer across a page, it is because of ITB unit issues. When this first started, I had a couple I fixed by replacing the yellow devo unit, but I finally got one that I put a new yellow devo unit in it and it immediately did the same thing (basically covered in my OP). Some of the earlier machines I replaced the yellow dev unit in, I got calls on later (after I did the OP) and knew to look at the ITB unit. The other key is to look at what shape the PCU is in for its age. We have seen yellow PCU's under 120k that look like they have 400k on them because of the belt dragging across the top of them. Very worn and grooved.