Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP 9002 Tandem Tray Problems

Tandem Tray will not move 8.5 x 11 paper from the left to the right side. On the display it recognizes that the paper is on the left and none one the right, also the display doesn't indicate the paper size. We have updated the firmware, replaced the right side harness, replaced the right tray paper present sensor, and also replaced the Paper Feed Board. If I go into output checks I can move the paper to the right and it will recognize the paper on the right and lift, but it will not feed. As soon as I open the tray the paper lowers. when I close the tray it no longer recognizes the paper on the right side.
    We also made sure that there is no paper stuck in the sensor at the back of the tray. this on has got me stumped.
    If anyone out there can guide us to the solution we would be very grateful.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 9002 Tandem Tray Problems

Quote Originally Posted by nodle View Post
    Tandem Tray will not move 8.5 x 11 paper from the left to the right side. On the display it recognizes that the paper is on the left and none one the right, also the display doesn't indicate the paper size. We have updated the firmware, replaced the right side harness, replaced the right tray paper present sensor, and also replaced the Paper Feed Board. If I go into output checks I can move the paper to the right and it will recognize the paper on the right and lift, but it will not feed. As soon as I open the tray the paper lowers. when I close the tray it no longer recognizes the paper on the right side.
    We also made sure that there is no paper stuck in the sensor at the back of the tray. this on has got me stumped.
    If I remember correctly the paper feed motors on those trays were crap.
    I would try that.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like there might be a problem with one of the sensors that detect position of the gates on the right side or the sensor for the lift table being in the down position. In order to initialize the transfer, the table must be detected in the down position and both gates open. The solenoids are then fired to open the gates. Once the gates are now detected open with the solenoids pulled in, the motor on the left tray turns on to transfer the paper. After the paper has transferred, the solenoids de-energize closing the gates. The paper does lift until gates are detected closed. In summary, if the gate are detected open transfer will not start and lift will not start even if you load the right tray manually, the machine that the paper is positioned where it is blocking the gates.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like there might be a problem with one of the sensors that detect position of the gates on the right side or the sensor for the lift table being in the down position. In order to initialize the transfer, the table must be detected in the down position and both gates open. The solenoids are then fired to open the gates. Once the gates are now detected open with the solenoids pulled in, the motor on the left tray turns on to transfer the paper. After the paper has transferred, the solenoids de-energize closing the gates. The paper does lift until gates are detected closed. In summary, if the gate are detected open transfer will not start and lift will not start even if you load the right tray manually, the machine that the paper is positioned where it is blocking the gates.
    I'm with Slim.
    Make sure that the right tray table is even and not sitting up slightly at it's lowest point.
    Pretty common issue.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Check the front gate on the right hand side of the tray. I have replaced many of them. Even with just a crack, they will not allow the paper to mover over.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nodle View Post

try to check under the plastic paper support, the small toothed pulley that drives the drive belt, it happened to me that the hole has gouged and shaft turned but the pulley no