Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

setting up printing on MACBOOK PRO problems..

I am not a big mac guy but can set up the average Mac to print to a ricoh.
    I just dropped a mpc4503 with PS3 and the first 5 MACS saw the printer and ricoh-usa saw the mac os version.
    But then i got to two Macbook pro with different os version and ricoh-use does not see OS and when i download 10.12 and 10.14 PPD installer and run it, I then try to install driver and Mac does not find this printer.
    So I add it using IP address and it refuse to print..
    I did this multiple times.......I dont have a mac in shop so I have to learn wth customers unit..
    Is the macbook like a chromebook?
    is there something i need to do different,airprint etc etc...........
    thanks
    stranded

Re: setting up printing on MACBOOK PRO problems..

Make sure you installed the PS card on the Ricoh , check under printer look for PS . To find what Mac OS it running put mouse under the apple and about this mac. Download the correct mac driver for that mac OS. unpacked driver
    Add printer via ip address using LDP not IPP, Change the name of printer or it will use ipaddress as printer name, it should find the printer check add than add the drawers and finisher.

Check machine if its using account codes?

You can set up profiles for black copies and color
    Last edited by bsm2; 04-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    setting up printing on MACBOOK PRO problems..

Quick question, can you ping both directions?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Google and Youtube are your greatest pieces of information for these situations. Both have concise instructions and screen shots to show exactly what needs to be done.

The C4503 is AirPrint capable. Meaning that should just find the printer on it's own. With AirPrint you do not need to download the driver. The drawback is usually codes cannot be used.

When setting up IP printing I always use the LPD port myself. This is right below where you set the IP address in the driver.

As mentioned above, make sure the copier can ping the computer. If it cannot ping the computer then it is of course on the wrong network and printing will not work. So unless these are a really old MAC OS, if AirPrint did not find the printer I would suspect they are connected to the wrong network or have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Quick question, can you ping both directions?
    hi
    I honestly dont know how to enter "cmd" like on a windows based PC for macs.
    All these hybrids laptops and trying to figure out what I need to know..

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    Google and Youtube are your greatest pieces of information for these situations. Both have concise instructions and screen shots to show exactly what needs to be done.

The C4503 is AirPrint capable. Meaning that should just find the printer on it's own. With AirPrint you do not need to download the driver. The drawback is usually codes cannot be used.

When setting up IP printing I always use the LPD port myself. This is right below where you set the IP address in the driver.

As mentioned above, make sure the copier can ping the computer. If it cannot ping the computer then it is of course on the wrong network and printing will not work. So unless these are a really old MAC OS, if AirPrint did not find the printer I would suspect they are connected to the wrong network or have bigger problems.
    If I installed the PS3 option should it not just install normally.
    I will youtube search out more info.
    I dont know how to find the macbooks IP address..IS it the same for all macs?
    The laptops are outside salesman who come into the office"real estate office" and need to print listing to take with them..

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

As Slim stated it sounds like the other 2 MACs are not on the same network. I use the HP Jetdirect -Socket Protocol because it uses port 9100 and is the fastest of all the other protocol. There is a "Network Utility".program that is most helpful but Apple hides it on their new OS. Google comes in handy on things like this. If you press the "Command,shift,A" keys at the same time you will launch the Applications window. There is a program called "Terminal" in the "Utilites"folder that will allow you to run a ping command. The example of "ping -c 5 192.168.1.200" will ping your MFP 5 times and give you the results.
    If you get "Request timeout for icmp_seq" means that the ping failed.

The PPD file for MAC 10.11 through 14 are the same build.

Upper left Apple Icon,System Preference, Network will get you the IP address Info

Good luck.

Last edited by Brianneoe; 04-07-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: update info

If the Macs are not on the same network worst case, save file a pdf to flash driver and print from usb port
    good luck.

Or have there IT correct the wireless issue

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    If the Macs are not on the same network worst case, save file a pdf to flash driver and print from usb port
    good luck.

Or have there IT correct the wireless issue
    thanks
    that is what i told them but it went right by them.
    Now if they are logged in to the sites wireless,lets say ABC COMPANY"
    then are they automatically in the default IP range"192.168.1. whatever?
    I have had windows based laptops that were connected to wireless that was in a different
    router than the printer and could not get them to connect so is that what i might be seeing here?
    Again I dont have a mac at home so I am learning on site.........
    I guesss I will have to buy a cheap used macbook to learn from..

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    As Slim stated it sounds like the other 2 MACs are not on the same network. I use the HP Jetdirect -Socket Protocol because it uses port 9100 and is the fastest of all the other protocol. There is a "Network Utility".program that is most helpful but Apple hides it on their new OS. Google comes in handy on things like this. If you press the "Command,shift,A" keys at the same time you will launch the Applications window. There is a program called "Terminal" in the "Utilites"folder that will allow you to run a ping command. The example of "ping -c 5 192.168.1.200" will ping your MFP 5 times and give you the results.
    If you get "Request timeout for icmp_seq" means that the ping failed.

The PPD file for MAC 10.11 through 14 are the same build.

Upper left Apple Icon,System Preference, Network will get you the IP address Info

Good luck.

GOOD information..thanks