Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Tracking/Spotting on heavy stock- MP C3503

I've seen a couple of threads where this has apparently been a bit of an issue, because the C3503 is a "Business Color" model and not "Production" color. Customer trying to do a 2 sided 4-up postcard on LTR size cardstock (216 gm2), and they're getting random tracking and spotting from the toner not fusing completely. Running through the bypass tray with it set to Cardstock/Thick 4, temperature maxed out for that weight, and STILL not getting decent fusing.

I've already opened a ticket with Ricoh Help Desk, but one of the engineers I spoke with said the paper was "Out of spec" (which according to the brochure, it's NOT...), so I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a solution...or at least a workaround.

Thanks in advance, troops!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Tracking/Spotting on heavy stock- MP C3503

Sounds like time to try a different brand of media. Unfortunately it can be a hard sell, especially when the customer bought a whole pallet of the stuff because they got "a really good deal" on it.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Sounds like time to try a different brand of media. Unfortunately it can be a hard sell, especially when the customer bought a whole pallet of the stuff because they got "a really good deal" on it.

Agreed.... or even the, "We've been using this stuff for years and didn't have any problems until we got your copier..." That's always a fun one to deal with.

I'm bringing over some 80# white cardstock to see if that runs with no issues. If it does, I can point to the paper as the culprit. They're not going to like it though, because after the cards are printed, they'll have to cut them.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

It doesn't happen to be glossy or semi glossy paper?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Texture can cause as much problem as GSM. A rough linen style paper or glossy sometimes just won't fuse no matter what you do. That may be why tech support says it's not in spec. If the Fuser is proper and all settings are set properly and it still doesn't fuse, change the paper. All you can do.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Here's the deal... <Insert Ross Perot accent here>

The original paper was pre-perforated along the center of the page in both directions. There's a light powder (possibly paper dust...most likely a powder applied to keep pages from sticking) on the surface. I switched to a #65 Cardstock (176 gm2) and it was still streaking a little. Then I noticed the print driver was overriding the machine settings, so I changed it from "Cardstock" to "Thick 4". The streaking went away.

The image they were trying to print was HIGHLY saturated, so I believe that contributed to our issues as well.

They're happy with it... and I'm good with that!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    Here's the deal... <Insert Ross Perot accent here>

The original paper was pre-perforated along the center of the page in both directions. There's a light powder (possibly paper dust...most likely a powder applied to keep pages from sticking) on the surface. I switched to a #65 Cardstock (176 gm2) and it was still streaking a little. Then I noticed the print driver was overriding the machine settings, so I changed it from "Cardstock" to "Thick 4". The streaking went away.

The image they were trying to print was HIGHLY saturated, so I believe that contributed to our issues as well.

They're happy with it... and I'm good with that!
    I was in the Lithographic print industry for 30 years and what it sounds to me has happened is that the presence of dusting powder might be because the card stock was varnished at the same time that it was perforated.
    I've seen this happen once on supplied stock from a print company.
    Just happened to be that the customer was a lithographic print company so when I explained it to them they understood straight away.
    If the stock was just perforated then they wouldn't dust it.
    You only dust stock to dry it out faster.
    Are they still using their original stock?

I don’t think perforated stock is ever recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    I was in the Lithographic print industry for 30 years and what it sounds to me has happened is that the presence of dusting powder might be because the card stock was varnished at the same time that it was perforated.
    I've seen this happen once on supplied stock from a print company.
    Just happened to be that the customer was a lithographic print company so when I explained it to them they understood straight away.
    If the stock was just perforated then they wouldn't dust it.
    You only dust stock to dry it out faster.
    Are they still using their original stock?
    Thankfully they ran out of the original (216 gm2) paper. They're using some 176 gm2 that they seem to be happy with. One side of the original stock did feel like it was coated, so I told them they needed to try something different.

I bet that it depends a lot on the paper that is being used. Tracking is harder on paper the reflecting paper. But again, it is not a rule and sometimes this shouldn't be a problem. MP C3503 isn't the best tool for tracking, I have tried it one or twice and never liked working with it. So I've ordered another model, it's more expensive, but I need a professional tool that will last. speedpak shipping says that I'm going to receive it within the next 2 working days, so wait for my review. Hope to post it by the end of the next week.