Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    C3003 F/W update error

C3003 F/W update error

I just had a strange problem trying to update the GWFCU3 F/W on an MP C3003 that I picked up for resale. The current version on the machine is 5, and I'm trying to update to Ver. 11. (I'm not sure if that's the latest version, but it's the latest one that I have available to me, and it doesn't really matter anyway)
    Initially, I had all files on the SD card, and got an E41 when trying to update GWFCU3 F/W. I also tried it with ONLY that F/W loaded on the card.
    I decided there may be some conflict with other module versions, so I updated everything else, and then tried again. No luck.
    Then I tried Reformatting the card, a new card, a fresh copy of the D1495559 that I have saved elsewhere, and then the even package F/W. Same thing.

I also just updated another machine less than a week ago with these same files and had no issue at all.

Anyone seen this type of thing before? Any other ideas to try and get it to load up?

Thanks!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: C3003 F/W update error

Sandy,

Can't say I've see the E41 error, which I assume you know does not appear to be in the service manual.

I have put up the RFU module for the FCU, which is version 11. Give that a go.

Failing that, you might try clearing the fax application in system SP mode and performing the factory reset in fax SP mode and retry updating firmware. Ensure all related boards are fully seated and perhaps remove the battery jumper on the fax option to ensure the SRAM is cleared out.

C3003 F/W update error

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Sandy,

Can't say I've see the E41 error, which I assume you know does not appear to be in the service manual.

I have put up the RFU module for the FCU, which is version 11. Give that a go.

Failing that, you might try clearing the fax application in system SP mode and performing the factory reset in fax SP mode and retry updating firmware. Ensure all related boards are fully seated and perhaps remove the battery jumper on the fax option to ensure the SRAM is cleared out.
    Thanks for that, Jason.... and the tips.
    I'll let you know how it turns out

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    C3003 F/W update error

If I remember correctly an E41 error might have something to do with automatic firmware updates. Check that the machine is not set up for @Remote.

Also you might have a corrupted firmware file, from the Service Manual for the Pro 1357EX:
    Download Error E41 Fax download failure.
    The Service Manual for the Pro 1357EX Section 4.1.3 DOWNLOAD ERROR CODES has a complete list of the Exx errors for program download.

C3003 F/W update error

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If I remember correctly an E41 error might have something to do with automatic firmware updates. Check that the machine is not set up for @Remote.

Also you might have a corrupted firmware file, from the Service Manual for the Pro 1357EX:
    Download Error E41 Fax download failure.
    The Service Manual for the Pro 1357EX Section 4.1.3 DOWNLOAD ERROR CODES has a complete list of the Exx errors for program download.
    I appreciate the input, Tim, but I'm fairly confident about the integrity of the file as I used this exact set of files less than a week ago on another machine, and as I said, I even tried another backup copy of the same file I have just in case something had happened to it.
    Also, just in case I wasn't clear, I've cleared the error message and updated all the other modules and the machine is working fine. I'd just like to find the cause of the problem and finish the update.

Try doing the Package first...THEN the rest of the F/W.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I just had a strange problem trying to update the GWFCU3 F/W on an MP C3003 that I picked up for resale. The current version on the machine is 5, and I'm trying to update to Ver. 11. (I'm not sure if that's the latest version, but it's the latest one that I have available to me, and it doesn't really matter anyway)
    Initially, I had all files on the SD card, and got an E41 when trying to update GWFCU3 F/W. I also tried it with ONLY that F/W loaded on the card.
    I decided there may be some conflict with other module versions, so I updated everything else, and then tried again. No luck.
    Then I tried Reformatting the card, a new card, a fresh copy of the D1495559 that I have saved elsewhere, and then the even package F/W. Same thing.

I also just updated another machine less than a week ago with these same files and had no issue at all.

Anyone seen this type of thing before? Any other ideas to try and get it to load up?

Thanks!
    perhaps its too big of a jump in versions? you can go and get earlier versions of the firmware and do it in stages?

C3003 F/W update error

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Try doing the Package first...THEN the rest of the F/W.
    Unfortunately, it's too late for that. Everything else is done, and as I mentioned, I tried the package afterwards with no luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
    perhaps its too big of a jump in versions? you can go and get earlier versions of the firmware and do it in stages?
    That though did cross my mind even though I've never seen something like that before, but I don't have access to any other versions to give it a try.

Update:
    As suggested earlier, I tried doing a memory clear and factory reset on the fax module, and then trying again. No joy.
    I then tried the RFU file that I was generously provided to try via the WIM, and it seemed like it was going to work. It went through the whole process successfully, then the machine rebooted with the message:
    "Waiting for firmware update data...
    IPV4 address:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Please wait"

I waited for a very long time and nothing happened. I rebooted and the message returned -several times.
    I started to get pretty worried that I had bricked the machine, but seemingly disconnecting the HDD, rebooting, then restarting with the HDD connected again sorted out the issue for whatever reason , and it's back to normal again.

I think I'll just leave well enough alone, and not push my luck any further at this point. It works, and the fax will probably not even be required wherever I end up placing the machine.

I appreciate the help.