Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Ricoh mp2501: Dirty back on first page or after pause print (mc life 85k)

hello guys I have this problem, when it makes the first print the sheet on the back is dirty, the other ones are good, if I print the smc, the first is dirty behind, the others are not, during the smc printing if the machine stops a moment to think between one smc and another the sheet after the break is dirty behind.I tried to do the following without success:replaced and then put back: roller transfer, drum, charge roller, turn on sp 2996(try also cycle 1 page for test), clean glass laser, reset copy application, clean drum mass pin, check back contact hvt card, the pcu has been replaced about 10-15k prints ago, checked card connection.I looked at other similar threats, but nobody said how he solved it.p.s.per absurd I have another m p2501 in the laboratory, which I wanted to use to temporarily replace this, but when I turned it on to try it, it does the same problem LOL !!!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh mp2501: Dirty back on first page or after pause print (mc life 85k)

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    hello guys I have this problem, when it makes the first print the sheet on the back is dirty, the other ones are good, if I print the smc, the first is dirty behind, the others are not, during the smc printing if the machine stops a moment to think between one smc and another the sheet after the break is dirty behind.I tried to do the following without success:replaced and then put back: roller transfer, drum, charge roller, turn on sp 2996(try also cycle 1 page for test), clean glass laser, reset copy application, clean drum mass pin, check back contact hvt card, the pcu has been replaced about 10-15k prints ago, checked card connection.I looked at other similar threats, but nobody said how he solved it.p.s.per absurd I have another m p2501 in the laboratory, which I wanted to use to temporarily replace this, but when I turned it on to try it, it does the same problem LOL !!!
    what about the fixing unit?

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh mp2501: Dirty back on first page or after pause print (mc life 85k)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    what about the fixing unit?
    hello phill, you are always the first to answer, and for this I thank you, I bet you are referring to the carbon brush that touches the fuser roller to the side to prevent the toner from sticking, tomorrow afternoon I go armed to the teeth, I have spare parts for 20 years, all original, (my boss, pay no attention to expenses, and it is a real badass with ricoh, and being ricoh italia official storic dealers, we have prices on consumables sometimes even lower than the compatible ones, I still don't I think it is the fuser, the problem is too systematic, and then I read in other discussions of this problem that has not solved, however trying a complete new fuser is a must as it takes 4 minutes to replace it

P.S. for those who suggest: toners and everything else are strictly original
    Last edited by luca72; 07-24-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This is a known problem. You have a dirty transfer roller. Replace the roller and turn on transfer roller cleaning.

The following is from the 2015/2016 series service manual, but the concept is the same.

SP 2996* Transfer Roller Cleaning/
    2996 1 Selects whether the transfer roller is cleaned before each copy job. Set this to “1” if dirty background is appearing on the reverse side of the first page of copy jobs. Note that this will increase the time required to generate the first copy. If the setting is “0”, the transfer roller is never cleaned

SP 2301 4 Cleaning [–10 ~ 0 / –1 / 1 mA/step]
    Adjusts the current applied to the transfer roller for roller cleaning. Increase the current if toner remains on the roller after cleaning. (Remaining toner may cause
    dirty background on the rear side.)

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

hello phill, you are always the first to answer, and for this I thank you, I bet you are referring to the carbon brush that touches the fuser roller to the side to prevent the toner from sticking, tomorrow afternoon I go armed to the teeth, I have spare parts for 20 years, all original, (my boss, pay no attention to expenses, and it is a real badass with ricoh, and being ricoh italia official storic dealers, we have prices on consumables sometimes even lower than the compatible ones, I still don't I think it is the fuser, the problem is too systematic, and then I read in other discussions of this problem that has not solved, however trying a complete new fuser is a must as it takes 4 minutes to replace it

P.S. for those who suggest: toners and everything else are strictly original
    Sometimes there can also be buildup on the pressure roller.
    1st page out can always have residue on back of page..
    It get bonded on roller..then reheated.. and xfered.
    Doesn't matter mono or color..
    ESP if fuser roller/belt is scored/worn

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

How about the developer?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This is a known problem. You have a dirty transfer roller. Replace the roller and turn on transfer roller cleaning.

The following is from the 2015/2016 series service manual, but the concept is the same.

2996 1 Selects whether the transfer roller is cleaned before each copy job. Set this to “1” if dirty background is appearing on the reverse side of the first page of copy jobs. Note that this will increase the time required to generate the first copy. If the setting is “0”, the transfer roller is never cleaned

Adjusts the current applied to the transfer roller for roller cleaning. Increase the current if toner remains on the roller after cleaning. (Remaining toner may cause
    hello slimslob, this morning I checked in our management software the history of the interventions on that matriculation, it turns out: (I remembered well) I replaced for the same problem (dirty back) the complete pcdu and the transfer roller in January on 62900 print (now 85000 ) ... it lasted a little while! ... the transfer roller was the first thing I replaced yesterday, and then I activated sp2996, but already the first print produced the defect, this afternoon I have an appointment with the customer, there let me know .... I think I'll try in sequence 1) fuser 2) blade cleaning 3) developer powder

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I agree.

The PTR is the only part that can transfer toner to the rear of a print.

Fuser would give you spots/streaks that you could rub off.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Re: Ricoh mp2501:Dirty back on first page or after pause print (mc life 85k) [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I agree.

The PTR is the only part that can transfer toner to the rear of a print.

Fuser would give you spots/streaks that you could rub off.
    [SOLVED] ... hello, I tried the transfer roller individually the day before, and it did it anyway, as a first test I tested the fuser blocking the MC with the sheet immediately after the register, and the dirt was already present .
    in the end I mounted a new pcdu with a new transfer roller, and the problem disappeared immediately.
    thanks to all those who have given me a suggestion

ps.sp2996 I left it active at 50 pages

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh mp2501:Dirty back on first page or after pause print (mc life 85k) [SOLVED]

[SOLVED] ... hello, I tried the transfer roller individually the day before, and it did it anyway, as a first test I tested the fuser blocking the MC with the sheet immediately after the register, and the dirt was already present .
    in the end I mounted a new pcdu with a new transfer roller, and the problem disappeared immediately.
    thanks to all those who have given me a suggestion

ps.sp2996 I left it active at 50 pages
    yes overtoning due to worn out developer is a common cause of this. The excess toner ends up on the transfer roller.