Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    FYI on MP C6503 (Jam 098)

Re: FYI on MP C6503 (Jam 098)

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Had a call yesterday on this model for Envelopes not feeding and Light print on the envelopes.
    When I arrived, I tested one through the bypass, and it feeds until after the fuser, then goes into a "Jam" and drops into the purge zone by the waste toner.
    Jam code was "J098 - Thickness Error". After some hunting I found SP 1-313 "Thickness Setting" and turned OFF this setting for Bypass. And Voila! Envelopes printed without jamming and the text was dark and legible.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case anybody runs into this. Was kind of an odd one.

Now a couple questions for you guys. First, What's up with that thickness setting and why did it prevent the envelopes from feeding? Second, Is there any way to get it to feed the envelopes flap side first/ long edge or flap side/ long edge to the right? Tried for over an hour to get it to print this way, but no matter how we set it up on computer and copier size settings, it would jam. The only way we could get it to feed was short edge first. The reason I ask is because with the short edge feed, 9 out of 10 envelopes have creases or the flap on trailing side is shifted and creased making the envelope look terrible. I tried all sorts of "Depressure - Envelopes" and "Slant correction - envelopes" and Nip band and thickness settings in SP mode to no avail. Is there something I'm missing that would put Less pressure on the envelopes?

Thanks in Advance.
    i got lucky one day and stumbled upon it by accident myself. was very helpful when i was scratching my head trying to figure out how to fix the issue.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    FYI on MP C6503 (Jam 098)

Re: FYI on MP C6503 (Jam 098)

I would think that the "thickness" setting is to prevent 2 or more multifed sheets of paper from getting to far inside the machine. Too thick and the machine indicates a misfeed rather than even try to feed it through.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING