Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 J001 Jam code a few days after Fuser Replacement (Genuine part)

Hi everyone!
    I've been working on a Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 for a while.

Machine was reporting SC553. After checking thermistors and noticing the wear, the fuser was replaced with a genuine new fuser from Ricoh.
    Also of note, the gate pawl (D039 4588 GATE PAWL:REVERSE:ASS'Y) was extremely brittle, and easily broke with a light touch to the fins.
    The gate pawl was also replaced.

After finishing up and resetting the PM counter (SP 3902-014 set to 1) the machine was happy, and printing nicely for about a day or two.
    At this point, the machine begins reporting jam code J001 (area C) on startup. Running SP7-507 reports jam code 064, which implies the Inverter Sensor is shorted somehow.
    While checking the machine, on one occasion SC670 is triggered, but on reset and machine restart does not return.
    I notice that the Guide Plate (D039 6221 GUIDE PLATE:TRANSFER UNIT) is also broken where it should hold the pin from the transfer unit (D039 6210 TRANSFER/SEPARATION UNIT:SECOND:ASS'Y) but I'm not convinced this actually has anything to do with the problem, since this shouldn't have any effect or relation to the symptoms above.
    I'm not sure which I should be doing. Should I remove and test the Inverter sensor? I realize this may be recommended, but as well I'm worried about this not being the real issue.

And so, I turn to the forums for help. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 J001 Jam code a few days after Fuser Replacement (Genuine part)

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 J001 Jam code a few days after Fuser Replacement (Genuine p

Quote Originally Posted by markypc3 View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I've been working on a Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 for a while.

Machine was reporting SC553. After checking thermistors and noticing the wear, the fuser was replaced with a genuine new fuser from Ricoh.
    Also of note, the gate pawl (D039 4588 GATE PAWL:REVERSE:ASS'Y) was extremely brittle, and easily broke with a light touch to the fins.
    The gate pawl was also replaced.

After finishing up and resetting the PM counter (SP 3902-014 set to 1) the machine was happy, and printing nicely for about a day or two.
    At this point, the machine begins reporting jam code J001 (area C) on startup. Running SP7-507 reports jam code 064, which implies the Inverter Sensor is shorted somehow.
    While checking the machine, on one occasion SC670 is triggered, but on reset and machine restart does not return.
    I notice that the Guide Plate (D039 6221 GUIDE PLATE:TRANSFER UNIT) is also broken where it should hold the pin from the transfer unit (D039 6210 TRANSFER/SEPARATION UNIT:SECOND:ASS'Y) but I'm not convinced this actually has anything to do with the problem, since this shouldn't have any effect or relation to the symptoms above.
    I'm not sure which I should be doing. Should I remove and test the Inverter sensor? I realize this may be recommended, but as well I'm worried about this not being the real issue.

And so, I turn to the forums for help. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    J001 just means jam at power on. That jam code J001 area C at startup which doesn't clear , many times is caused by a bad door switch.
    Last edited by blazebusiness; 08-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 J001 Jam code a few days after Fuser Replacement (Genuine p

Check the Exit Sensor actuator (maybe it's inverter sensor), when customers pull a jam backwards, this actuator (flag), will get stuck in the cutout, and give a jam code.
    You don't have to remove the sensor to test it. Just go to Input mode 5-803, and test with your finger or a piece of paper for ON/OFF operation.
    Are you sure you got all the teeth from the Pawl Gate removed (If broken pieces fell into machine)? I usually take that right hand door off and flip it upside down and shake it. Sometimes have to remove that bottom guide on the door to get to some of the broken pieces.
    Is your inverter guide broken or missing it's spring?
    Scrap of paper stuck up there somewhere?
    Door switches (mainly the little push switch for right door) operational?

I would also definitely fix that transfer guide plate you mentioned.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

1st
    I would take the right side door off and turn it upside down and see what shakes out.
    Also the right side door has other plastic that crumble and break and one can use a hot glue gun to fix.
    You need to know is the paper just stopping or are you getting lead edge indents from hitting something..
    Are you using an internal sorter
    if so take it off and CK

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

IF ALL else fails swap out right side unit..
    I always save these when i take back my trade ins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

There are 3 types of problems that I have seen with door switches:
    1. A switch can momentarily lose contact due to vibration. This will cause a J001 if paper is running through the machine. This usually occurs with the covers on a bridge unit but can also happen with any small push button sensor.
    2. When a jam has occurred and a door is opened to clear the jam, the switch will either fail to indicate the door has been opened or has been closed. When power is then cycled, a J001 will occurred.
    3. If a paper bank is installed, the jam door on it may not be full closed at the rear.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Door switches (mainly the little push switch for right door) operational?

I would also definitely fix that transfer guide plate you mentioned.
    Definitely check that lower cover on the right side.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2550 J001 Jam code a few days after Fuser Replacement (Genuine p

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Definitely check that lower cover on the right side.

Good call. Have seen this before also, either where the pin that holds the door in place is broken, or the little black "tab" on the guide that engages the door switch down there is broken/ missing or guide is out of place.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markypc3 View Post
    I'm not sure which I should be doing.
    A broken pin that holds the paper transfer assembly to the frame will result in skews, jams, and image quality issues. I personally would fix this first.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING