Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP C3503 - Can't print Multiple Sets with PCL6

I don't know if this is limited to just this model, but I've had it happen in 2 different locations with the C3003/3503
    I did find a couple of old threads discussing the issue, but there was not any real solutions provied, and of course the original poster never returned to update the thread .

Here's the thing: I have had 2 locations of small workgroups recently where I setup the C3003 using the PCL6 driver.
    In the first location, I basically printed a test page from each system and figure all's good. I'm notified a couple of days later that they can't print multiple sets of any file type. It will print multi-page docs no problem, but if you ask for 2 sets, it pops up the 'paper size mismatch' at the start of set #2.
    The issue affected 7 of the 8 systems that were a combination of Windows 7 and 10. I didn't make any changes to the default settings, but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I decided to install the PCL5c driver, and all's well , and I've installed the exact same driver in many other locations.

Location Number 2 is where my real conundrum lies: They are setup to use User codes and their old MP C2800 worked just fine.
    Initially, I just left the driver as it was before realizing they had the same issue as above. I've not been back on site myself to find out how many of the sytems are affected. It's a real estate company, and they just hae several laptops scattered around for the agents.
    They have an IT company that maintains their systems, and I have since provided them a custom driver for the C3503 with the pop up user code window enabled and the result is the same.
    As far as I know the PCL5c isn't customizable with the driver editor.

BTW, I just use the old basic "printer driver editor". I've not been able to navigate my way through the Driver Packager NX at all! Is it WAY more complicated than it needs to be, or is it just me??? I'm sure it's heavily customizable, but it's more than I've ever needed.

I'm going in tomorrow to try changing some settings within the driver to see if I can make it work.
    Anyone else seen this issue, and have some suggestions?

It's a head scratcher!

Thanks!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP C3503 - Can't print Multiple Sets with PCL6

There is a setting in User Tools under printer features that reads along the lines of rotate sort auto paper continue. If you turn that on then it should do the multiple sets just fine. IIRC the real issue is a default setting in the driver telling the machine to rotate each set alternately (rotate sort), so if there is not both LT and LT-R in the machine you get the paper size mismatch. With the rotate auto continue on, the machine will basically re-rotate it back and print from the available tray. Basically, you can fix each driver install or change one setting on the device and call it a day.

Very interesting Jason, and now that you mention it, I think i did read something similar in one of those earlier threads.
    It sounds like that's exactly what's causing it. I'll be sure to post back my findings.

Thanks a bunch!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    There is a setting in User Tools under printer features that reads along the lines of rotate sort auto paper continue. If you turn that on then it should do the multiple sets just fine. IIRC the real issue is a default setting in the driver telling the machine to rotate each set alternately (rotate sort), so if there is not both LT and LT-R in the machine you get the paper size mismatch. With the rotate auto continue on, the machine will basically re-rotate it back and print from the available tray. Basically, you can fix each driver install or change one setting on the device and call it a day.
    I was think about User Tools settings also. What I had frequently found with mismatch messages was paper type, plain vs bond, etc. In paper tray settings I would set all trays to "Driver/Command" instead of "Machine Setting." Just remember if you have letter head or other special paper in one of the trays to set it to not allow auto select.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Another solution that works (on all RICOH-devices): printer-sp, bitswitch no 5 = 00000010 .
    Greetings...

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

The pisser is if you have a tray loaded for SEF you won't ever see this happen.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In the specific programm the user uses, it can be that the printer settings are defined as "A4" in stead off "letter".
    I've had this issue very recently (the other way around of course (Europe), it was programmed "letter" when it needs to be "A4")

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We always set up auto contiue to immediate and in printer sp change sp1-001-005 bit1 and auto nrotate continue to on.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    The pisser is if you have a tray loaded for SEF you won't ever see this happen.
    You're right! I swapped the paper around just to make sure. That is a total pisser!
    It's remarkable to me that I haven't run across this issue until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaman View Post
    Hi there!
    Another solution that works (on all RICOH-devices): printer-sp, bitswitch no 5 = 00000010 .
    Greetings...
    Quote Originally Posted by slot View Post
    change sp1-001-005 bit1 and auto nrotate continue to on.
    Thanks guys. I'll fiddle around with the settings a little more when I have time.
    For now, As Zed initially suggested, I just turned on the auto rotate setting (or whatever it's called) in printer /system and left the paper trays the way they were because they were used to it that way.
    All's well now, and I learned a few things along the way.

Thanks for all the advice!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out.