Technician

Ricoh MP 401 firmware update to eliminate black lines and occasional white lines?

Lately I have had a ration of defective drums that within a week or two start leaving a black line(lines) on the prints or sometimes a white line(void) on the prints. So a friend who works for a dealer dropped off a thumbdrive with the latest firmware, telling me that should take care of it. My question is has anyone else had this problem? And what is the procedure to update the firmware? Also, when the black line or lines appear on the prints, I've noticed the foam rubber charger roller has black line on it also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 401 firmware update to eliminate black lines and occasional white lines?

Well known issue, the PCDU is the problem, the latest batches of M9060130 seem to be better, have you fitted filter to fan.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 401 firmware update to eliminate black lines and occasional white lines?

Re: Ricoh MP 401 firmware update to eliminate black lines and occasional white lines?

Black lines = damage to drum blade (like 10 microns - they say in bulletin), or a compound in the toner adheres to drum causing lines. Need to make sure you are getting the newest of the new PCDU's (M9060130). These updated units have a harder cleaning blade, a newly added polishing blade, and a change of the plastic used in the case that "stabilizes" the cleaning blades better.

Void Areas = A gap develops between the OPC surface and tip of the cleaning blade, allowing toner to slip through and enter the machine’s internal airflow. This toner scatters and spreads inside the machine, gradually building up on the LED array. This leads to white blotches (missing toner) along the left edge of the image.

Both solutions are to install the newer style drum unit. Firmware doesn't help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

so your friend gave you the firmware? yet didn't tell you how to update it? and you didn't ask your friend the process??? surely if said friend knows that the firmware needs an update they can tell you the process?

These are the 2 Technical Bulletins referred to in this post. No where do I find that there was any Engine or System/Copy Firmware updates that addressed this problem?

We have a load of MP 402s out in the field which I assume is basically the same as a MP 401. They take the same drum, in England the part has been updated again to M906 0136. I have been told to look at the label on the box where it says LOT NO. it may say something like B01 but next to it a 4 digit number, the box in front of me says 0619, meaning this was made in June 2019. Anything after 0219 should have the correct modifications I think. so the later the month the better really. I got sent one from late 2018 and complained and had another one sent free because they were giving out a product with a known fault. Maybe some of you guys will get lucky with that as well if you have any before 0219 date.
    Easy to get rid of the void problem on left hand side, just clean the flip down LED head. I even made a HOW TO guide for trusted customers so they could do it themselves and all have worked successfully so far.